Getting ready to paint - a few questions

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
I am in the process of removing the wings in preparation to paint the Lancair.

The plane currently has small numbers on the tail - 3 inch I believe. From what I read this is legal for an experimental up to 180 kts. Is there any reason I would want larger numbers?

I am considering using a vinyl graphic over a white pearl base. The painter has suggested that he put a clearcoat over the graphic to prevent it from peeling or chipping. I am concerned it I were to want to remove it or were to sell the plane and the buyer would want to remove it, the clearcoat would make removal difficult. Is clearcoat needed over vinyl?

I am in the process of removing the wings in preparation to paint the Lancair.

The plane currently has small numbers on the tail - 3 inch I believe. From what I read this is legal for an experimental up to 180 kts. Is there any reason I would want larger numbers?

I am considering using a vinyl graphic over a white pearl base. The painter has suggested that he put a clearcoat over the graphic to prevent it from peeling or chipping. I am concerned it I were to want to remove it or were to sell the plane and the buyer would want to remove it, the clearcoat would make removal difficult. Is clearcoat needed over vinyl?

But what if you wanted to buy one of those N numbers the guy on Beechtalk is selling for $75k? You'd have to go into paint just for the swap. Get a wrap made with the whole thing. If you don't like it or sell, peal it off. Put a sealant on the forward edge to resist peeling.

If you feel that at some time in the future someone may want to remove the vinyl numbers, do not clear over them. There is no need to clear over vinyl decals anyway, other than to bury the edge. Also, I would only clearcoat the metallic paint, Not the solid colors.
For the solid colors I only use single stage. The metallics/pearls will get 2 coats of clear. I see no reason to add weight. Plus more material does not equal a better finish.

If you ever think the numbers will need to be removed, don't clear over them. FYSA, clear coat is almost always the first thing to start peeling on an airplane.

Ok Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Sounds like 3 inch numbers would be good for me.
No clear over vinyl.
I would prefer a pearl over a solid color though. You guys think I should avoid a pearl?

Ok Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Sounds like 3 inch numbers would be good for me.
No clear over vinyl.
I would prefer a pearl over a solid color though. You guys think I should avoid a pearl?

Pearl is pretty, but IMHO never easy to touch up if you have to repair the coatings... Solid is easy.

Agreed with no clearcoat over vinyl.

BUT.... if you want to prevent the vinyl from fading, have your printer put a clear UV resistant vinyl overlay on top of your vinyl decals. This will help prevent color fade.

Back