Getting ready for multi checkride - grill me!

XC going into better weather and with the equipment I’m in, yes …
Let me rephrase. Would you go out and fly a complete mock checkride by yourself in these conditions?

For commercial practical test, good advice.

Check ACS (page 39), VI. Navigation tasks for ‘Pilotage and Dead Reckoning’, list of Skills to demonstrate.
For example …
Above clouds (without reference to the ground), how can applicant accomplish CA.VI.A.S2 and CA.VI.A.S5?
VI doesn’t apply as I have my Comm and this is the multi add on. Apologies I should have been more clear.

Any thoughts on doing the ride in these conditions?
Are the conditions likely to be better if you reschedule or about the same?

Let me rephrase. Would you go out and fly a complete mock checkride by yourself in these conditions?
Yes, knowing I’d abort if anything changes (higher tops, lower bases, ice, etc).

Are the conditions likely to be better if you reschedule or about the same?
Great Lakes in the winter is :dunno: … My soothsayers tell me Sunday PM may be the next opportunity. Just need to make sure DPE is around too. The problem is that we’re unseasonably warm and with the humidity makes it OVC010 daily.

Great Lakes in the winter is :dunno: … My soothsayers tell me Sunday PM may be the next opportunity. Just need to make sure DPE is around too. The problem is that we’re unseasonably warm and with the humidity makes it OVC010 daily.
That's kind of my thinking here. You need it to be 30 degrees colder or 30 degrees warmer, neither of which is going to show up while you still remember how to fly the thing.

If you do take off on an IFR clearance to do a VFR-on-top check ride, though, you should be aware of some special phraseology that will help with the ATC side of things:

Departure, N123TB, request change of call sign.
N123TB, say requested call sign.
N123TB requests call sign Leeroy Jenkins.

…The problem is that we’re unseasonably warm and with the humidity makes it OVC010 daily.
We’re in the same cycle here. LIFR until noon then slowly improve to maybe MVFR before sunset and start degrading shortly thereafter.

For the commercial multi add on, I wouldn't have (and wouldn't today). There were maneuvers that I wouldn't want to do (like emergency descent) starting below 2,500. Fly in it to a destination? Sure, with all the weather caveats you listed. But checkride, no.

Checkride maneuvers aside, if you do part of your checkride on an IFR clearance, you’re doing so on the examiner’s ticket. Have you discussed his/her willingness to do so?

This is what OVC009 4SM BR looks like in Chicago.2C2A5729-9393-451E-95FA-02324E6320F4.jpeg

of course this is about 20 minutes after I emailed the DPE to cancel :(

I thought having twice as many engines means taking twice as many risks and flying in weather that’s twice as bad along with getting women that are twice as hot as your run the mill SEP pilot. No? Am I twice as wrong?

Last edited:
Email him back with
…..NOT!!!
Haha - it’s a lot funnier than that. I called him. Told him it’s clear blue (as previous photo demonstrates). So he’s on his way.

… aaaand….

171ABDA6-C769-463B-A289-EA3AD118B469.jpeg

I thought having twice as many engines means taking twice as many risks and flying in weather that’s twice as bad along with getting women that are twice as hot as your run the mill SEP pilot. No? Am I twice a wrong?

Gets you to the crash site twice as fast…

PAVE-A

Pilot
Aircraft
EnVironment
External Pressures
…thence: Ask the internet if its gucci
Haha

Well we went ahead with the ride. We waited a touch to see if it would clear some but ended up filing out and separately back. Not only were we contending with clouds and bases, but vis from haze was quite low (2-4sm) below ~5500. And we finished the ride at night.

In the end I still need to go back for landings.. oh well. But my opinion of doing a checkride in this weather is that I should have listened to @texasclouds and postponed. It was pretty dumb since I basically did an instrument checkride plus multi and workload was “elevated” (thanks Chicago approach extra vectors + night time single engine approach + right seat mic failure and Tower asking me a million questions about flight conditions).

Let this be a lesson to all those would be checkride candidates.

That being said, other than the one landing that’s left to do, the only comment I received was that on stall recovery I could have been a touch closer to Vy.

Next (final) ride scheduled for next week. It’ll be 0.2 one trip around the pattern.

Haha
That being said, other than the one landing that’s left to do, the only comment I received was that on stall recovery I could have been a touch closer to Vy.

Next (final) ride scheduled for next week. It’ll be 0.2 one trip around the pattern.

Good luck, Kaiser! We hope to celebrate your checkride at the Bulldog Pub in North Aurora! Keep us posted!

Back