Getting jerked around by the FAA due to SSRI use--please help

U

Unregistered

Not exactly sure who to turn to for help or answers anymore so I figured I’d throw this out to the aviation community. Here’s my dilemma:

I started taking flight lessons last January, and applied for a special issuance medical due to SSRI use. The medication I take does fall under the category of approved SSRIs by the FAA. Because of this, I am required to jump through psychiatric testing hoops which include a psychiatrist visit, a neuropsychiatrist visit, meeting with a special aviation medical examiner as well as an evaluation from a prescribing doctor. Let me clarify that none of these tests were easy or cheap. To this point I have spent approximately $2000 out of pocket to try and get a medical. And all of the psychiatric professionals that I was evaluated came to the same conclusion: Not Crazy.

I have followed the FAAs directions to the “t”. However, they continue to send me letters requesting more and more paperwork and letters in order to determine my eligibility to hold a medical.

It is frustrating because I would love to explain to the FAA that their policy and views on SSRI use is far behind the times and discriminatory to people that are attempting to seek help and better their lives…I am employed full-time as a firefighter paramedic and routinely make emergency decisions when it comes to fire suppression, patient care and crew safety…how does the ability to excel at a high stress job and excellent reports from evaluating psychiatric professionals make me ineligible to hold a medical certificate?

It has been almost a year since I first applied for a medical and I am really starting to fear that this will ruin my desire to continuing flying. At some point I imagine I will most likely reach my personal and financial limit with the process and give up all together on flying.

But for right now, you can bet I would do anything to fly.

Thanks for letting me vent,

Alex P

Chicago, Illinois

You need to consult dr Bruce. I believe he is now on the red board.

You are in Chicago, very close to "the guy" who can help.

In a couple minutes you'll get a bunch of replies with his contact info. I'd pass it along now, but don't have it handy.

Hey thanks for reading and the information...I will be in contact with the Doctor.

-Alex

Hey thanks for reading and the information...I will be in contact with the Doctor.

-Alex

No problem. If you are an AOPA member, you can post on their board (Red Board). Doc Bruce moderates their medical forum and can give you some ideas online.

If I remember correctly, Dr. Bruce helped write the FAA protocol for the SSRI SI.

If I remember correctly, Dr. Bruce helped write the FAA protocol for the SSRI SI.

You are correct. He was one of four who wrote the protocol currently in use.

I wouldn't tell him that you're being "jerked around" though.

I personally think you're being jerked around per your description, but I wouldn't mention it to him :)

Be aware that Dr. Bruce is widely considered to be THE man to turn to for difficult certifications. However, he will not tolerate less than the complete truth from you, and he will advise you how to get certified. If it is possible. Some people cannot be certified.

Dr. Bruce will tell you which it is... but you have to be honest with him and you have to follow his advice to the last letter. He can work wonders within the system but he doesn't go outside the system.

We all wish you luck!

-Skip

Alex, everyone who suggested Dr Bruce is spot on. Peoria isn't that far of a drive. Just listen to his advice and follow it to the letter. Also, be totally upfront with him.

Be aware that Dr. Bruce is widely considered to be THE man to turn to for difficult certifications. However, he will not tolerate less than the complete truth from you, and he will advise you how to get certified. If it is possible. Some people cannot be certified.

Dr. Bruce will tell you which it is... but you have to be honest with him and you have to follow his advice to the last letter. He can work wonders within the system but he doesn't go outside the system.

We all wish you luck!

-Skip

...the first time...

As others have noted, if there is a way, he will find it. However, he does not tolerate anything less than the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Know that going in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back