Getting into Gliding

nyoung

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan young
So a friend and I have made plans to take a few glider intro flights this summer. I know very little about sailplanes. What kinds of things should one look for in a gliding school / club ?

If it matters, this would be in the Chicago area, so tow and then thermal gliding, not mountain/ridge type lift.

Any thoughts/comments on (bad) habits that PP-ASELs would have when transitioning to gliders?

Thanks!

You will figure it out. Biggest warning is that clubs run slow. Can be very frustrating. If you can swing it, I recommend doing a quickie one week glider add on course at a commercial school then flying at whatever local club suits you. What could be done in a long weekend at a commercial school can take 6 months or more at a club. Nothing wrong with clubs, I'm a member of a club and flight instruct there, just the nature of volunteer labor leads to long training times. Oh and for fun flying there isn't much(anything?) better than soaring.
http://www.ssa.org/sport/wheretofly.asp

Any thoughts/comments on (bad) habits that PP-ASELs would have when transitioning to gliders?
Nothing specific, really... but the most important thing is that you have to remember that you don't have power, and can't afford to not think ahead at all times. Power pilots are told again and again in their training to "stay ahead of the airplane", but it's easy to slack off on that when you have power available, particularly in the approach/landing phase. There is less tolerance for this with gliders, for obvious reasons.

Remember this, and you'll do fine.

You will figure it out. Biggest warning is that clubs run slow. Can be very frustrating. If you can swing it, I recommend doing a quickie one week glider add on course at a commercial school then flying at whatever local club suits you. What could be done in a long weekend at a commercial school can take 6 months or more at a club. Nothing wrong with clubs, I'm a member of a club and flight instruct there, just the nature of volunteer labor leads to long training times. Oh and for fun flying there isn't much(anything?) better than soaring.
http://www.ssa.org/sport/wheretofly.asp

totally depends on the club and the students motivation level. Many clubs (like mine) have scheduled instruction and scheduled towpilots every weekend. Also there are usually options to fly during the week if instructor/towpilot and student can jive schedules.

As far as typical issues transitioning pilots have a big one is coordination. Generally gliders are much more difficult to coordinate than airplanes thanks to big ailerons way out on long wings leading to large amounts of adverse yaw. Additionally if you don't have much or any formation experience learning to fly the tow will be difficult at first but you'll get it.

Also, get used to a lot of manuevering. Most airplane flying is straight and level. That sort of thing is pretty rare on a typical soaring flight, especially in thermals. Lots of circling. It will wear you out at first but eventually you'll build up tolerance and get used to it.

don't discount the soaring conditions in illinois. It might not be mountain wave or wind but many long flights have been done in the upper midwest thermals and all of the flat fields make for great land out opportunities so it is a lot easier to get out and go for it when conditions are weak. Many contest pilots live in the Chicago area. In fact I think our own Lance Flynn lived around Chicago back in his racing days?

have fun!

Ok here's the skinny. You live damn near next to Sky Soaring, so go out there this weekend, and just talk to the folks there. That's probably the best thing to get a feel for the club. I don't know what they offer for intro rides, but I'd suggest trying it to see if you like it or not. The reason for this is that most gliding operations are clubs, and you will need to become a member to take lessons.

Now on to the flying part. You will learn what those little pedals on the floor do. Gliders like taildraggers require active use of the rudder to fly properly. This is probably the biggest challenge for the average trike driver. Landings are a bit daunting at first, but with proper planning they aren't such a big deal. It's also going to take a bit of practice to learn to properly tow behind the tug. You will have a couple "mr Toads wild ride" tows, but you learn :)

Have fun, and try to get out there when you can actually catch a thermal. Sled rides are ok, but soaring is freaking awesome.

BTW there is a mini contest at sky soaring over Memorial day. you may want to hang out, and meet the folks there. I may be there as well

There are a number of good books for power pilots transitioning to gliders. Take a look at bobwander.com for a good selection.

Be prepared for it to look easier than it is at first. This is especially true for aerotow. About the only people who hop into gliders and nail it right away are teenagers and pilots with a lot of acro and formation experience. Cessna drivers past their 20s can struggle for hours. And as aways, if you aren't grooving with the instructor try another.

As far as typical issues transitioning pilots have a big one is coordination. Generally gliders are much more difficult to coordinate than airplanes thanks to big ailerons way out on long wings leading to large amounts of adverse yaw. Additionally if you don't have much or any formation experience learning to fly the tow will be difficult at first but you'll get it.

I had to learn to lead with rudder into turns -- is it the same with gliders?

I had to learn to lead with rudder into turns -- is it the same with gliders?

some of them, yes. ive flown about 5 or 10 different types of "old" airplanes and probably 10 or so different glider types and ive found the coordination requirements to be about equivalent.

WOW, while I'm writing my response BOTH Pete and Tony beat me to the post. Talk about a nerd convergence!

tonycondon; Also there are usually options to fly during the week if instructor/towpilot and student can jive schedules. [/quote said:
I think the expression is JIBE though I like the idea of JIVE schedules:rofl:

I'd second the motion for going to a week long add-on rating course. I went to Soar Minden near Tahoe and had the time of my life with no fuss, no hassles, and no waiting for tows. It ran so well that often times I'd land and coast up to a guy ready to hook me up for the next tow.

I had a bit of tailwheel time before adding on the glider rating and I guess it helped a bit. I went with a couple of other guys that seemed to work longer on keeping the yaw string straight and being assertive enough with the ship.

Tony does your club schedule individual students? If so how well does it work? We have scheduled tow pilots and CFIs but the students show up at random, we have tossed around the idea of scheduling students.
Thanks.

Tony does your club schedule individual students? If so how well does it work? We have scheduled tow pilots and CFIs but the students show up at random, we have tossed around the idea of scheduling students.
Thanks.

it is up to the students to coordinate with instructors. when i'm scheduled to instruct i usually send a blanket email to the club about mid week asking who wants instruction and then make some sort of a plan with those people. i prefer to avoid surprises when instructing but usually try to accomodate whoever shows up.

Northern Illinois can have some fantastic soaring (also crappy somethimes too I suppose.) If you get serious, you could join the Chicago Glider Club. When I was there, many members flew cross country every Saturday and Sunday whenever possible. Do that, and you can get pretty good. I flew a diamond triangle (500km) on a good day in May out of that club (it's near Joliet) averaging over 56 kts in a standard class Cirrus.

Back