Getting in and out of Airplanes ?

Harvey Bailey

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Steve
Anyone have any ideas how to get in and out of a Champ ? I weigh 210 lbs.5ft11 inches and have a problem getting in and out of a Champ ?

Reach in with your left hand and grab the bars by the windshield. Step into the plane, putting your head up near the windshield. Then step into the plane and sit down. This always works well for me in the Aeroncas. And, I'm 6', 210, so this should work for you too.

Reach in with your left hand and grab the bars by the windshield. Step into the plane, putting your head up near the windshield. Then step into the plane and sit down. This always works well for me in the Aeroncas. And, I'm 6', 210, so this should work for you too.

Thanks, I will try that and let you know how it works out. I have been in the easy to get into and out of planes. However want to get time in the Rudder and Stick airplanes. However I have other folks saying that they had to stop with the old style airplane due to not being able to get in and out.

Thanks, I will try that and let you know how it works out. I have been in the easy to get into and out of planes. However want to get time in the Rudder and Stick airplanes. However I have other folks saying that they had to stop with the old style airplane due to not being able to get in and out.
I think the Aeronca is easy with my process. I have a bad hip from a football injury and I have to crawl into my 140 like a baby! And forget about Taylorcrafts!

I am 6'2" and about 270. I can get in and out of a champ and fly a J5 frequently it isn't that difficult. The inside bars are your friend. The above method works. Sometimes overall flexibility makes more of a difference than size. Our local museum gives rides in the Champ and more people have trouble getting their legs bent and in than other issues. Our Champ does not have a step so getting in is a little tougher than some.

I have trouble getting in and out of a CRJ. Wish the seats went back and sideways like the ERJ.

You can't be graceful getting in and out of a Maule, especially a nose gear one. I developed a grab, lift and slide technique that worked most of the time.

Ever notice how there's never any YouTube footage of people getting into an airplane? Even when there is a combination of ground and air footage - the "getting in" part is always edited out. It's not graceful.

The easiest airplane I've ever been in has to be the 737. It pulls right up to the jetbridge and I can just walk right into it, no climbing, sliding or pulling required. :biggrin:

The easiest airplane I've ever been in has to be the 737. It pulls right up to the jetbridge and I can just walk right into it, no climbing, sliding or pulling required. :biggrin:

Pretty easy to get kicked out as well. After engine start and push back they dropped the rear stairs and out I went. Maybe if I refused to deplane it might have gone much better.....o_O

Pretty easy to get kicked out as well. After engine start and push back they dropped the rear stairs and out I went. Maybe if I refused to deplane it might have gone much better.....o_O
I suppose there is a bit of sliding and pulling involved, now that you mention it. :cool:

I'm 210 and 5'11'' as well, and get in and out of my Citabria with little trouble. I use the upper bars to pull myself in and get my legs in front the seat, then swing my hips into the airplane.

Ever notice how there's never any YouTube footage of people getting into an airplane? Even when there is a combination of ground and air footage - the "getting in" part is always edited out. It's not graceful.
Since I have the 4 seat, I get the parents in the back when flying Young Eagles. I always explain to the mom thatbthere's absolutely no graceful or ladylike way to get in or out of the low wing.

Taylorcraft
Getting in the back of a cub

See, even those seem awkward to me. It may have something to do with my habit of holding my arms out at my side to make wings, and making airplane noises on the way in though.

Back