Getting back in the air!

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Today is the day, I’m getting back in the air for the first time in eight months. I can hardly wait to put on my headset, fire up Foreflight and strap in.

I hope to capture the flight on my backup camera, since the VIRB is still held hostage until the final report is completed.

Also, a quick plane search update. We have an aircraft that Mary and I really like and our broker is confirming the owner is indeed selling. Hope to be posting updates soon.

I had a blast!!!

On that first take off I thought someone switched out my headset for a stethoscope. Nothing but my heart beating out of my chest and in my ears, plus my hands were shaky. Turning cross wind I was helping look for traffic and everything melted away, I was back in my environment.

I’ve missed the views, the peaceful focus to fly and the camaraderie flying with other pilots and friends.

I’m back.....

87226B1A-79D8-41A2-B328-5B6A4832F80D.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you got back in the air, Gary! Can't wait to hear more about what you're looking at for a plane.

Welcome back to the clouds Gary, hope you’re doing well. Been in Archers only as well since our phone call, looking to make a move out of the rented mule world late this year. Fly safe Amigo.

Weather permitting this weekend, I'll be going up for the first time since Bell's Palsy hit me late last year - it's been a while so CFI is booked for a few hours. Looking forward to it

And you have to tell us how the flight went + pictures...:)

I posted on my blog, complete with videos. I only have one video for now and the audio only picked up engine no cockpit coms. http://gmflightlog.blogspot.com/2019/03/i-am-aviator.html

The good news.....the Activeon CX Gold is going to be used on the tail tie down and my refurbished Garmin VIRB XE came in today. Now if the NTSB will send me my other VIRB I'll be good to go. No....wait, I still need a plane. o_O

Something happened to the Beech? I used to live vicariously through your blog and before that Bo Boggs.

Glad nobody was hurt and you’re back in the air! Congrats.

Something happened to the Beech? I used to live vicariously through your blog and before that Bo Boggs.

Glad nobody was hurt and you’re back in the air! Congrats.

Terry,

We sold the Sundowner in May 2018 and purchased a Beech Debonair. Unfortunately, I had a catastrophic engine failure right after take off and made an off airport emergency landing in June 2018. The plane was totaled and we got pretty beat up.

We are looking to close on a plane soon, so I hope to be posting more videos and adventures.

I posted on my blog, complete with videos. I only have one video for now and the audio only picked up engine no cockpit coms. http://gmflightlog.blogspot.com/2019/03/i-am-aviator.html

The good news.....the Activeon CX Gold is going to be used on the tail tie down and my refurbished Garmin VIRB XE came in today. Now if the NTSB will send me my other VIRB I'll be good to go. No....wait, I still need a plane. o_O

You think they'd keep the memory card and give the dadgum camera back!

Glad to see you getting out again.

Why wouldn't they just copy or download the memory card and give everything back in 15 minutes?:mad:

That makes sense..... so....we can’t have that. When the final report is out they said it will be sent back.

The last email I sent bugging for its return, they said we’ll send the camera but not the MicroSD. I was worried it would get lost if they were separated.

That makes sense..... so....we can’t have that. When the final report is out they said it will be sent back.

The last email I sent bugging for its return, they said we’ll send the camera but not the MicroSD. I was worried it would get lost if they were separated.

So they're not going to let you have the video of the accident flight? :dunno:

So they're not going to let you have the video of the accident flight? :dunno:

They will return camera and memory card when the final report is complete. If I agree to the camera return there is no way the micro sd memory card will make it back to me. I'm positive it will be "misplaced." So, I'll wait for the total package to be returned. Someday......

"The lab can return your camera, however they will not release the data card until the investigation is complete. I hope this is works for you, if so, please confirm your mailing address."

That’s awesome to read Gary, congrats !! Happy to hear the recovery is going well and you’re back on the horse! If you happen to find yourself in the Wilmington area this summer once you find your new plane, I’d love to go up for a few laps in the pattern with you, and I’d be more than happy to treat you and your Bride to a nice lunch :) Best of luck in your search, and well wishes to your continued recovery :)

Brian P.

Congratulations on getting back in the saddle. Good to see you both are doing well. I wonder if I would still have the desire to fly after an accident. I tend to think that I would. I have had a heart attack and torn achilles (among other minor injuries) while playing basketball, and my wife wants to me to stop playing basketball. I don't think I will. Love the game too much.

Good luck with the new plane purchase.

Are there any thoughts about what you might do differently or focus on after having been through the accident? Anything we can learn from it?

They will return camera and memory card when the final report is complete. If I agree to the camera return there is no way the micro sd memory card will make it back to me. I'm positive it will be "misplaced." So, I'll wait for the total package to be returned. Someday......

"The lab can return your camera, however they will not release the data card until the investigation is complete. I hope this is works for you, if so, please confirm your mailing address."
That's utterly silly, as they can certainly clone that memory card in five minutes. Heck, they release wreckage within a week or two in many cases.

On that first take off I thought someone switched out my headset for a stethoscope. Nothing but my heart beating out of my chest and in my ears, plus my hands were shaky.

I had someone switch my ANC headset for a stethoscope on a long cross country, KBDR to KESN. I was concerned! Then I discovered that the batteries for the ANC function in the headset were flying west more rapidly than I was! Whew!

Gary, very glad you are back in the air!

Back