Getting an IMC-equipped Car

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
Looks like I've settled on my next car purchase--an FJ Cruiser with an Artificial Horizon, Heading Indicator, and OAT gauge. To be honest, they weren't a determining factor, but they made the decision easier! Unfortunately, I can't get my Instrument Rating in a car :no:

Gonna pick her up tomorrow!

dash_cluster.jpg

It needs a VSI, so when you pull back on the wheel to go over the car ahead....................:D

It needs a VSI, so when you pull back on the wheel to go over the car ahead....................:D

Naw, it needs an AoA indicator!

Obviously, it has an ASI (well, GSI) elsewhere. What about a TC?

I wanna see an HSI for that thing.

How do you adjust that HI?

Steam gauges....what the heck??

I had an FJ. Nice ride. :)

Be sure to have no deductible glass coverage. I went thru at least one per year from stone chips and resulting cracks with mine.

Naw, it needs an AoA indicator!

Obviously, it has an ASI (well, GSI) elsewhere. What about a TC?

I wanna see an HSI for that thing.

How do you adjust that HI?

The HI on mine actually needs to be adjusted by the dealership--that was the only thing they found wrong with the car.

The TC is placed on the drivers seat :)

It's also got a pair of landing lights up top!

So what's the useful load on that ting?

Be sure to have no deductible glass coverage. I went thru at least one per year from stone chips and resulting cracks with mine.

Sounds like my Jeep Wrangler. I've forgotten how many windshields I've gone through in the past 15 years.

I've been interested in the FJ Crusier. You got a new one? I thought that Toyota stopped making them.

Watch for the visibility. You may need those instruments.

I've been interested in the FJ Crusier. You got a new one? I thought that Toyota stopped making them.

Watch for the visibility. You may need those instruments.

2014 is the last year for the FJ. You get used to the visibility, I didn't have a problem with it. The stock sound system sucks. You can't even see the black on orange radio display in the daytime. Great vehicle overall. Good power. About 22mpg. Comes with a manual trans/4x4 if you can find one.

Needs a 530 or 650 and auto pilot.
Auto-pilots probably aren't that far out. My Jeep Cherokee has active cruise control which will pace the speed of cars in front of me (if they're going slower than where I set it), right down to a full stop without my needing to touch the gas or brake. If I let the steering drift, it senses the lane and jerks the steering in the opposite direction (a little too far so that left alone, it could oscillate between the lanes... but not a bad start).

Those have been around a long time. I remember some mini-Mitsubisi SUV had the inclinometer AI back in the 80's when I was looking at cars. My wife's Subaru Forrester of the 90's vintage had an optional altimeter/compass package.

She's an 08 model, newer than any plane I've ever flown. And man, I wish it would give me 22mpg. I'm getting closer to 15.

Back