Getting a rental car just got easier

Please let us know how it works. It's generally good to patronize companies that support GA.

Here's something funny, though.

Last month, I was preparing for our travel to Pensacola, and I checked out Enterprise's web site for rental rates. Quoted rates for my rental period of $22.99 and up, depending upon what car I was renting.

I noticed a little link at the top of the screen, reading something like "GA Pilots" and clicked on it (naively thinking, "maybe I'll get a break...").

Same cars, rates essentially doubled.

Subtle message, guys.

---

Edit-

Just checked again- quoting $13.95 / day and up if you request quote from their main page; $45.00/day and up if you admit to being a rich pilot (apples to apples, for the GA renter, the lowest car class they quote is "Compact," at $45.00; for the general populace, they quote the "Compact" at $15.95/day, with an "Economy" at $13.95).

This is a hypothetical rental at PNS again.

I think we are seeing blatant price gouging. Y'all?

Last edited:
Just one warning. Get a rate with this link but don't complete the reservation. Then try on the www.enterprise.com site directly with the same Enterprise office serving the airport (putting in the zip code is easiest). Sometimes the rate from the first site is almost double. I agree with patronizing businesses that support GA. However, I will find away around a system that takes advantage of GA.

It is possible that Enterprise has set it up this way to get a commission/kick back to the FBO at the airport. Some pilots feel the right thing to do is pay a higher rate for this sort of thing to support FBOs. If so, go for it. I just want to point out the multiple rates that Enterprise offers for the same car at the same place depending on which link you use to make the reservation.

Hi Spike. I guess great minds think alike, but you're the faster typist. In any case this is not hypothetical. I rented an Enterprise car at Greeneville, TN (GYC) this week, and this rate difference was in effect there.

Enterprise will charge more for dropping the car at the airport and picking it up afterward. I received quotes on the website that were substantially higher than the best rate available from Enterprise. A call to their local office usually resulted in a rate slightly higher than the best web rate, but much lower than the quoted GA rate. They do charge a bit less for rentals where you pick the car up at their office.

It is worth a call to the local Enterprise office after researching rates both on the GA website and the regular Enterprise website. Each office has some discretion on the pricing.

Of course, this is all assuming that the local Enterprise office (they're all privately run, I think) is open when you feel the need to rent a car :(

I think at Wings Enterpirse just leave 3-4 cars there. They circulate them and I think the FBO just does the paper work for them. That way there is no drop off or pick up involved. I think they do it that way up at KIPT as well. Other FBOs may also do this. I go for the least expensive way and if thats the FBO I prefer to go directly through them that way they know I'm giving them the business.

Lance F said:
I agree with patronizing businesses that support GA.
I'm not quite sure my definiiton of "supporting GA" includes "putting up a slogan and charging at least twice as much."

It does make the task of getting a car at any airport easier.

Before you had to search for locations near the airport and call to see if they can bring the car to the airport. At least this way you can find the nearest office in a step or two.

Has anyone contacted Enterprise to ask them about this "special pricing"?

mikea said:

Before you had to search for locations near the airport and call to see if they can bring the car to the airport. At least this way you can find the nearest office in a step or two.
I guess it depends on the airport. I'm sure there are airports where Enterprise will be the only realistic game in town.

For various reasons (mostly service-related), I use Hertz as my primary rental. Just for jollies I did a quick comparison. I assumed I was going to Albuquerque and landing at Double Eagle II, a small untowered airport northwest of the ABQ Class C. When I ran the comparison, I didn't know whether Hertz or Enterprise had availability there. They both do. Hertz's base rate is a bit less (before my discount), and I know exactly what kind of service I will get. That took me about 4 minutes, total, not much of an investment.

gkainz said:
Has anyone contacted Enterprise to ask them about this "special pricing"?
There's nothing special about it. It's the same reason a $14.99 item from a normal store costs $24.99 at an aviation store. Vertical marketing - it's not even limited to aviation.

Ken Ibold said:
I nominate Greg to do it.

:yes:
I accept the nomination. If elected, I promise to never get caught taking bribes, categorically deny any knowledge of aforementioned improprieties, should they arise, and always support my constituancy by looking out for moi.

gkainz said:
I accept the nomination. If elected, I promise to never get caught taking bribes, categorically deny any knowledge of aforementioned improprieties, should they arise, and always support my constituancy by looking out for moi.

Greg,

We expect several spreadsheets analyzing the various rental car company rates for each category of car as well as invidual makes and models.

:rofl:

Anthony said:
We expect several spreadsheets analyzing the various rental car company rates for each category of car as well as invidual makes and models.
and at a variety of airports across the country.

I have the sudden urge to write up a proposal, a statement of work, a deliverables doc and a consulting agreement...

mikea said:

I know it's heresy on this medium, but I ignore the web for this problem. Here's my procedure: Telephone the FBO and ask for a car. You won't be the first person who's asked this question. About half the time they'll say "No Problem" - the other half of the time they'll tell you which rental car companies have on-field facilities or deliver to the field or both and give you the phone numbers. You don't always get the cheapest rate, but you do get a car lots faster than playing twenty-thousand questions with your web browser.

Regards,
Joe

gkainz said:
I have the sudden urge to write up a proposal, a statement of work, a deliverables doc and a consulting agreement...

Thanks for volunteering Greg! :rofl:

Joe B said:
I know it's heresy on this medium, but I ignore the web for this problem. Here's my procedure: Telephone the FBO and ask for a car. You won't be the first person who's asked this question. About half the time they'll say "No Problem" - the other half of the time they'll tell you which rental car companies have on-field facilities or deliver to the field or both and give you the phone numbers. You don't always get the cheapest rate, but you do get a car lots faster than playing twenty-thousand questions with your web browser.

Regards,
Joe
Awww. What's the fun in that? :D

I'm still thinking about getting a car soon. I had thoughts of wending my way in the evening reverse rush hour traffic to a car dealer. Then I realized, as with any shopping, the best place to be is front of my computer. I got more info from http://www.cars.com in half the time I wouldn't have been stuck in traffic than I would have gotten at 10 dealers in 4 days.

The same with some other items I have to get on short notice. I have to get a bed cushion for Jann. I spent a while on the agonizingly slow web on my phone trying to find a medical supply that might be open when it occurred to me that I'll probably find what we need at a regular store. Along the way I used a real in the flesh printed yellow pages that was worthless. I came back home to search the web. I did come up with one medical store BTW, but it would have meant a couple of hours in traffic again. Using the voice phone alone would be a longer, more expensive, and less productive way to search.

Back