"Get-there-itis" to finish flight training

I did mine in 2011 for 8650 or there abouts. 55 hours total time, but then again I found a club for 20 of those hours so the post solo time was pretty cheap

Average 152 rents for about $95/hr at Palo Alto, Piper for $115/hr, Cessna 172 between 115-150 depend on year and model.

There are no 152s here. Density altitude at my home airport is currently 7000'. That's very normal here. It was likely 8000' earlier today. 152s just don't work well here.

@DesertNomand, sounds like you need T182 or Piper Turbo Arrows to train at that high of a DA.

@DesertNomand, sounds like you need T182 or Piper Turbo Arrows to train at that high of a DA.

I did my training in a C172, but it was over the winter (Oct - Mar). They still use 172s in the summer, but fly early (at the airport by 06:45)

@DesertNomad, makes sense given the lower DA and temperatures earlier in the day at high elevation airports in your neck of the woods.

I have struggled a little with this. Finding time and funds for all of my training/equipment is proving harder than I originally thought. I have been beating myself up a little lately over it. However, when I think about it, other than the sour weather of one season, there's really no deadline for me. I will in all likely-hood be a pilot for the rest of my life, so a few months delay, hell even 9 months delay is a small amount of time on that scale.

One thing I've learned while doing this that's important to remember, I think, is that no matter what level of frustration or anxiety or whatever I may be feeling, I'm likely not alone. Others have been through exactly this before. Only thing I can do is try hard to buckle down, study long and fly right.

Would you believe there is an outfit in Truckee that gives primary instruction in a 172M? That's 145 screamin' horses.

It can be done. It's not THAT high. Heck, I've been into Big Bear in a 160 HP Warrior, with 8000+ DA at field elevation. And climbed with it at nearly 500 FPM up over the ridge to 10,000 feet. Warriors aren't that great at altitudes like that (it's an issue with the airframe -- an Archer isn't any better even with 20 extra horses), but it can be done.

The DA is much less of an issue than descending air. That's where you can get into trouble.

Sounds like you may need to review your aircraft's performance numbers. The local CFIs really understate performance. Severely. 8000-10000 DA isn't a big issue unless you insist on the same performance you get at sea level (which will give you a departure stall), and you know how to lean. You do have to be aware of what the winds are doing, more so than at sea level. But not train? That's just not correct.

For the record, a 172N can get to 50 feet from South Lake Tahoe in 90 deg heat with two adults, a 50 lb kid and full fuel, using well under 4000 feet of runway. BTDT, with more than half the runway (still > 4500 feet) left over to land on just in case I had trouble.

Summer training is done early for several reasons. The DA is better in the morning, but you're nowhere near the service ceiling unless you're headed south AND over the Sierra. More important reasons are winds and turbulence, and especially, heat exhaustion. Training at Edwards is done real early for this reason. Altitude is less than 3000 feet; DA is not severe (though it has to be accommodated). But physiological reasons are dominant.

Back to the point at hand, I think just about everyone gets the student pilot equivalent of senioritis at the end. That close to a goal, you want it to get done. But that desire can very easily get in the way of the goal. To deal with that, you need a bit of a Zen approach. Do your best in every way, and the checkride will just happen when it's time. I know; easier said than done.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm at 31.2 hours and just passed my written. Can't wait to knock out my night XC, an hour under the hood, and then practice for the checkride.

As for cost, I consider myself very lucky compared to others. The Archer II that I rent goes for $114 wet. My friend and CFI, who WAS charging me $25/hour for instruction, decided a while back to just quit charging and teach me for free. I'll end up asking that he accept payment or buying he/his wife a nice present or something to make up for it, as I can't impose on his family, flying, or personal time and give him nothing in return. As for ground school, I'm self-taught from many of the common books other than an hour or two from my CFI on initial runway pattern stuff and XC planning. He's always available if I have questions though, which is great. At 31.2 hours, I'm less than $4,000 out of pocket at the moment. I certainly have no complaints compared to other current students.

Many of the threads here are negative towards CFIs that really didn't help the student pilot, just ran time up, etc. Mine is GOLD to me, and knowing that he holds ratings as a CFI, CFII, Commercial, Glider, and is always willing to share material and teach me something is a huge bonus.

I recently had a massive case of get-there-itis, when a few days after commencing training my flight school told they are going bust and are closing down in a week. I did 40 hours in 14 days...
If I were ever to write a book about my flight training, the genre would definitely be thriller/drama/horror.

for my private ischeduled my checkride the day before i left for college. i so nervous because i knew if i didnt pass, i would have to wait at least a month before going upwith my CFI and do the manuevers/procedures i messed up. i ended passing so everything worked out. for my instrument, i wanted to finish in august but that didnt happen. i passed 2 weeks ago at the perfect time.i had a week off from school and i could focus on only flying

Hello all.

Just wondering, did any of you have "get-there-itis" to finish flight training? In other words, did you feel that you are rushing yourself to get your pilot's license because life's obligations in the near future would prevent you from getting your license for a long time?

I started my training planning on it taking me more than a year because I thought I could only fly once every 2 weeks. I managed to finish in 6 months and 49 hours TT, and for only 7.5k earlier this year. I think in the end I was a little anxious to be done with training, I guess I did suffer from a little "get-there-itis". In reality though it was just the fact that things happened much faster than I expected, and I knew if I stretched it out I would blow my budget. I saved for several years and expected to spend 9k, and if I spread it out over 2 years it would likely have cost 15k+.

Everyone is different and I waited 12 long years before attempting to get my certificate. I had more important goals ahead of flying, so I pushed it back. Only you can answer the question of how important it is to you. Will you be able to fly once you have your ticket, taking into account these 'obligations'? If not, then there is no point in rushing yourself because you will not remain proficient. Just my opinion.

I went from 0 to PPL in 21 days (19 days of flying, 2 days of bad weather). Took my checkride with just over 40 hours. Total cost was about $8,500 including everything.

Hello all.

Just wondering, did any of you have "get-there-itis" to finish flight training? In other words, did you feel that you are rushing yourself to get your pilot's license because life's obligations in the near future would prevent you from getting your license for a long time?

I wish I had... it took me almost 20 years and 100 hours to get my PPL. My IFR started to go in that direction, so I took 2 weeks off to finish it up with a weekend course and 25 hours of sim/airplane time to finish it right after I passed my written.

Learned my lesson with my Multi and pounded that out in a weekend followed up with 15 more hours over 3 days once I bought a multi-engine.

I think that is the best way.. intense immersion followed up by actually using the skill. I was filing IFR and flying the day after my checkride and keep at it weekly. Same with the ME.

Stringing it out between work/life obligations? Cost's alot more and you don't retain as much.

Back