"Get-there-itis" to finish flight training

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Hello all.

Just wondering, did any of you have "get-there-itis" to finish flight training? In other words, did you feel that you are rushing yourself to get your pilot's license because life's obligations in the near future would prevent you from getting your license for a long time?

No, since I had budgeted both my money and time appropriately.

IIRC, you're only training once a week, right? If that?

That schedule of going so slow and taking many days between significant milestones might contribute to what you are feeling.

I set a realistic goal of 1 year and $15,000 which I met. A month after getting my license I left for Europe for 2 months, so I did want to finish before that but I was flying enough that it wasn't going to be a problem.

No, since I had budgeted both my money and time appropriately.

IIRC, you're only training once a week, right? If that?

That schedule of going so slow and taking many days between significant milestones might contribute to what you are feeling.

Actually I try to train twice a week.

My CFI said I had made progress and he said I am almost ready for my first solo. IDK, maybe it is motivation to get to that first solo is what making me feel rushed.

Just say no. To family, friends, and bosses. Be warned blowing off social time sucks and doing your own thing is addictive.

Yep

Ive been rushed through a couple rides for work, not how I like to do it but it is what it is, not pleasent but got it done.

I did rush at first, because before I started, I thought I knew enough about aviation that this would be a breeze, but about 10-15 hours into it I realized how much I didn't know, and slowed way down. I had set a target of being all done by 40-45 hours total, after a few lesson's and in listening to my instructors who are extremely cautious, I reset my goal from that to becoming the safest student/pilot I could. I took all the "rush" out of everything, and just made sure I learned something every lesson.

Kinda, sorta. I wouldn't say 'rushing' but I do try to fly often with the hopes of bringing the overall student training portion down. Its more eagerness to get to the next level or training activity. Each new thing I'm exposed to seems to be more awesome than the last.

I think my kid felt rushed...but he had a hard deadline: be a private pilot before leaving for college or pay another $10K for training at the U! Perhaps I was more motivated than he. His temporary airman certificate was time-stamped at 5:32 pm the day before we left for college.

I am feeling the (self imposed) pressure to get it done too! I gave myself one year +/- a month to finish. I have said no to vacations, social engagements, booze, expensive fancy restaurants etc. I can't wait till the bleeding stops- when I can take the pebble from my masters' hand.....

Until that day Brothers and Sisters......

I remember I was very anxious to get my ticket towards the end. two reasons--to be able to fly when I want (you know what I mean) and to get the lessons behind me.

I went through the same thing with instrument training, too, but to a lesser degree.

I did, but it was because the last 2 months of my training was durning the monsoon season here, so what could have been finished in 2-3 weekends ended up taking 2 months because of adverse weather.

Managed to wrap everything up just a hair under 60 hours though. :yes:

One of the good things about taking it over time is you get to experience some different weather along the way. If you did an accelerated course you could miss out on the quirks with flying the warm weather of the summer with high heat and humidity various performance and carb icing issues and you might not get to do some winter flying with variable runway conditions and such. I finished in about 59 hours about 10 of that was test prep at the end just waiting to get scheduled with the examiner. Most lessons aside form the X-country were only an hour so I stretched it out over some time but got to fly in all sorts of conditions with all sorts of weather and wind. Enjoy the process it isn't a race.

Last edited:
I was waiting on a special issuance for a medical, so went slow (no more than 1x a week) for about 5 months of dual (about 30 hours). After I got my medical, I went 4-5x a week for the next three weeks. Flying that often really helped to make everything click.

$15K for a private? YGTBSM! Is that what it costs nowadays?

Yup, I was lucky and was able to go to a cheaper military aero club for my training and it still cost me a bit north of $10k with a hair under 60 hours to my PPL.

I had 80 hours (ready for the checkride at about 68 but no DPE was available for awhile).

80 x 125 = $10,000.

About 60 of that was Dual

60 x 45 = $2,700.

About 35 hours ground

35 x 45 = $1,575

Total $14,275.... plus exams, books and a headset.

I did rush at first, because before I started, I thought I knew enough about aviation that this would be a breeze, but about 10-15 hours into it I realized how much I didn't know, and slowed way down.

Being a car guy with a lifelong fascination with airplanes, rc planes in my teens I thought for sure I'd be soloing at 10 hours. After my intro flight I still felt pretty confident. Somewhere around hour 3 or 4 I realized how little I knew. I'm right around hour 10 right now and am nowhere near soloing. A large part of that has to do with poor runway conditions so I've only been involved in 3 landings. Today was supposed to be the day to really work on landings but the forecasted ceiling of 1800' turned out to be 1200' and rain hit about an hour earlier. My whole point is it's still pretty overwhelming to me the amount of info I have to cram into my head so I'm in no rush right now. You may want to ask me again when I actually have some landings under my belt and solo or xc some.

Im pushing to solo before school starts again. (Monday) Ive been flying everyday when the weather is good but soon I will be able to fly 2 days a week max.

When I first started my training at the beginning of June, my mom said she wanted me to take her up after I got my license.

3 weeks ago she was diagnosed with Cancer.

So yeah, I have "get-there-itis". I've been doing 3 lessons a week since the start anyways, and have that amount scheduled for the rest of this month and through September.

Nah, I am pretty certain she will be here when I finish. Checkride is about a month away.

I did my first twenty hours in 6 months but then joined a club and had to switch instructors. The new instructor had a month of great availability and then was going to get busy with his real job. We did three to four lessons a week for that month and finished up. It was hard but I thought I was building on every lesson and not wasting time like before. Gave me time during the first six months to study, knock out the test and get comfortable with everything. Not a traditional way to droit but worked out great for me.

Im pushing to solo before school starts again. (Monday) Ive been flying everyday when the weather is good but soon I will be able to fly 2 days a week max.

Hey me too!!! My CFI and I are working on getting to my first solo before my senior year of college starts. Then I will start studying and taking the written exam during my fall semester. Then hopefully when winter break comes I will try to fly as often as possible to hopefully get my sport pilot license before the spring semester starts. My goal is to be a sport pilot before I graduate college, because then I will be focusing on looking for a job. Plus I may have to likely spend my time and money on getting my life started so I may not have the time or money to get back into flight training for a long time.

Just wondering, how do you balance college and flight training when you are living on campus at a college that is far from home where you take your flight training at? Do you come home on the weekends to do it or do you take lessons during college summer and winter breaks?

Hey me too!!! My CFI and I are working on getting to my first solo before my senior year of college starts. Then I will start studying and taking the written exam during my fall semester. Then hopefully when winter break comes I will try to fly as often as possible to hopefully get my sport pilot license before the spring semester starts. My goal is to be a sport pilot before I graduate college, because then I will be focusing on looking for a job. Plus I may have to likely spend my time and money on getting my life started so I may not have the time or money to get back into flight training for a long time.

Just wondering, how do you balance college and flight training when you are living on campus at a college that is far from home where you take your flight training at? Do you come home on the weekends to do it or do you take lessons during college summer and winter breaks?

Im in an unusual situation. I attend a charter high school where I take all college classes on a college campus. Most college classes are acceptable for a high school credit as well so when I graduate in May I will have a High School Diploma and an AA in Mech Engineering.

The college is a local state college and I live at home. So this summer I took 3 summer classes and scheduled them all in the afternoon so that I could go fly in the morning and then go to class.

Now with fall/spring semester I will only be able to fly on Friday and Saturday and some afternoons. Still I hope to be done by Christmas with PPL in hand. Ive already passed the written and am currently on a flying scholarship that expires when I solo. So tomorrow after solo Ill be at around 18+ hours (was ready to solo at 8 but wouldve lost the scholarship). Then Im gonna buy block time in the aircraft and fly it as often as I can.

Im in an unusual situation. I attend a charter high school where I take all college classes on a college campus. Most college classes are acceptable for a high school credit as well so when I graduate in May I will have a High School Diploma and an AA in Mech Engineering.

The college is a local state college and I live at home. So this summer I took 3 summer classes and scheduled them all in the afternoon so that I could go fly in the morning and then go to class.

Now with fall/spring semester I will only be able to fly on Friday and Saturday and some afternoons. Still I hope to be done by Christmas with PPL in hand. Ive already passed the written and am currently on a flying scholarship that expires when I solo. So tomorrow after solo Ill be at around 18+ hours (was ready to solo at 8 but wouldve lost the scholarship). Then Im gonna buy block time in the aircraft and fly it as often as I can.

Sean, if you know me, you would know that this is my fifth flight school I am at. I started at this flight school last June and I made a lot of progress. I even got my student pilot certificate (no medical needed since I'm going for sport pilot). I initially thought that I can get my license before going back to college by flying twice a week on the weekends since I work a full time summer job on weekdays. Now it turned into hopefully soloing before going back to college. My summer job most likely will end at least a week before going back to college so I will try to fly more often during the last week of my summer break if I can.

Unlike you, I live on campus and home is quite far away from my college. It is possible that I can still fly on Fridays and Saturdays, however it wouldn't be practical for me to go home every weekend to fly since I'm usually very busy at college during the semester.

Last edited:
Mine was around $11k at an "expensive" school.

I lived about 25 minutes from my flight school, so not super far but not right next door either. I did my PPL my junior year of college, my IR first semester senior year and my commercial second semester senior year. I'm now about to be a third semester (graduating) senior and I'll go into it with my CFI, at least that's the plan. I missed out on a couple things, like drinking at a friends 21st, and a couple nights out but other than that I did everything else like a normal college kid. The only rating I didn't do while I was doing classes is my CFI, but I've been working full time.

Being a car guy with a lifelong fascination with airplanes, rc planes in my teens I thought for sure I'd be soloing at 10 hours. After my intro flight I still felt pretty confident. Somewhere around hour 3 or 4 I realized how little I knew. I'm right around hour 10 right now and am nowhere near soloing. A large part of that has to do with poor runway conditions so I've only been involved in 3 landings. Today was supposed to be the day to really work on landings but the forecasted ceiling of 1800' turned out to be 1200' and rain hit about an hour earlier. My whole point is it's still pretty overwhelming to me the amount of info I have to cram into my head so I'm in no rush right now. You may want to ask me again when I actually have some landings under my belt and solo or xc some.

Boy do I feel your pain.
My Dad was a design engineer on Concorde (Bristol), my Godfather was a Lightning pilot in the RAF, I have one cousin who is a multi time RC aerobatic world champ, another in the RAF as WC on both Tornado's and Euro Fighter, half my parents friends are/where capt for BA......so no pressure on me to get a PPL :mad2:

I sort of had a different reaction when I started training, I went to 5 different schools to do the "introduction flight", all said I would solo in 10 hours except one, he said it would happen when it was safe.. I chose that school. I was told I was ready at about the 18-20 mark, did a pre solo check ride with a different instructor and then i could not find a flare point to save my life,:yikes: nerves, expectations, vulnerability confidence all went to hell and back.
Even to the point in one lesson after my third horrific touch and go I was going to give the controls back to the instructor and say I have no business flying a plane, the next one was better, the next better and so on. But for about another 10 hours I never thought I would solo because of weather, sick instructors, broken planes and so on.

Got that solo in, and with in the next 15 hours had all solo requirements including the cross country's done.

It is over whelming at first, but after a few more lessons you will be doing something and realize that 3 weeks ago you couldn't do that without overthinking about it, I was most nervous about talking to ATC when I started, but according to everyone i fly with I sound like a seasoned airline pilot...I couldn't taxi on the yellow line for love or money, now I cant believe I even worried about it. Then it was dealing with ground effect, then it was cross wind landings, then it was....well you get the picture.

As long as you are enjoying it, learning something every time you go up, know your instructor is teaching you and not just building hours you will do just fine and get there when you are safe and ready.

As for the cost that someone mentioned, I'm paying $150 hr for a G1000 C172, and $65 hr for the instructor, Sporty's on line $300, Gliem study course $250, headset and various other nick naks who knows the $$$$.:eek:

Due to delays because of airport construction, vacations, weather, examiner availability , my wanting to keep practicing and have just one more lesson doing slow flight or S turns or what ever, & postponing one check ride, I will be in the 70-80 hour mark when all is done ( check ride is set for later this month), I expect to have spend more than $15k.
But I didn't get into this trying to do it as cheaply or as quickly as I could, so no budget on time or money, my limitations where on being safe.

Last edited:

I did my private in college. Ground school and the first 10 hrs were part of a one credit, one quarter (winter) college class. After those ten hours I found my own instructor (via local FSDO) and finished in a friend's airplane during spring quarter.

Then I went to law school and figured I would have to give up flying for three year. After a month I was climbing the walls because I loved to fly. So I wandered out to the airport to see what I could rent. Got checked out in a Warrior, then was talked into trying an instrument lesson. Ended up doing my instrument, commercial, multi and CFI during my first year of law school...and kept a B average. Flew for an hour just about every day right after classes ended, then went home to study law mentally refreshed.

So it can be done!

I did suffer from this but after realizing that it would take me longer than normal to finish for many reasons that I will not go into here, I tempered it with the patience to enjoy the journey, develop good skills to become a safe pilot. Fortunately the instructor I am with now is awesome and the best instructor I've trained with thus far and we are fixing my weak points in my skills to not only pass the checkride to PTS standards but also ingrain safe piloting skills which is the most important thing of all. Patience for me is one thing to keep as there will be days in the future even after passing the checkride that will prevent me from flying such as the many TFRs from VIPs like POTUS visiting California or weather that will ground me.

I felt a bit of this at the end of my training. I was fairly relaxed and in no rush to complete my training but found myself with all the requirements complete with about 42 hours! So I focused on practicing all the checkride manuvers. My 2 biggest concerns were steep turns and turns around a point. I'm not sure why but those always taxed my focus. Look outside, check gauges, adjust, look outside, check gauges, adjust, yadda, yadda. I'd always seem to forget something. I'd be feeling smug about how well the turn was going, glance down and realize I'd dropped 50 feet, or, my favorite, proceed to turn the 360 degree steep turn into about a 400 before I remember I was supposed to roll out. :mad2: So time came to do the mock checkride with the instructor. All the maneuvers, hood work, etc, looked great. Head back for the airport for the short field landing, oh wait, I was supposed to land back there?!?!? So there went another half hour with the instructor and another hour of solo practice on short field landings. My usual landing is a power, off, full flaps approach. I learned that the steeper glide path isn't the easiest for landing on a specific spot. It was easier to aproach at shallower angle with a little power. I'm sure folks that are better can plop it on the spot from any glide path but that was the adjustment that got me landing consistently.

That's all a bit long winded and a little off topic but my point was, I wasn't at all concerned with completing the training on any schedule until the end was in sight. Before I started, I figured it take me 60-70 hours of flying twice a week to finish. I ended up going on the checkride with 48 hours in the log book. I suffered a major case of get-there-itis those last 6. :)

I set a realistic goal of 1 year and $15,000 which I met. A month after getting my license I left for Europe for 2 months, so I did want to finish before that but I was flying enough that it wasn't going to be a problem.

Holy crap! A year and $15k? :mad2:

It took me $4500 and 28 days.

Holy crap! A year and $15k? :mad2:

It took me $4500 and 28 days.

How long ago was that? I passed my checkride nearly four years ago, and to get there cost in the neighborhood of $10,000. Rental is $129/hour plus $55/hour for the CFI. It adds up fast.

Forgot to mention, I also had to change planes three times, which if you already know how to fly is not a big deal, but when you are learning, changing airplanes adds time and money.

How long ago was that? I passed my checkride nearly four years ago, and to get there cost in the neighborhood of $10,000. Rental is $129/hour plus $55/hour for the CFI. It adds up fast.

11 years ago. Rental rate was $90 I think + CFI, I soled in 15 hours, did lots of butt time burning off hours waiting for the check ride. I actually was circling the airport for 1/2 hour before the check ride to hit 40 hours. :mad2:

Well here in the bay area everything costs DOUBLE but at least jobs pay double so it evens out I guess over time. Steep turns have been the hardest part for me. I have the other maneuvers nailed and fixing a few weak points on pattern entry into uncontrolled airports. I also switched to a Piper half way through training which took a few hours to master coming from high wing Cessna 172 to low wing Piper things are a bit different in terms of fuel management. But I like flying low wing Piper MUCH better than the Cesspit so no regrets there.

Forgot to mention, I also had to change planes three times, which if you already know how to fly is not a big deal, but when you are learning, changing airplanes adds time and money.

Those rates seem pretty high especially 4 years ago.

I pay 85 and 45 but that's a 152.

Yeah, you're right. Four years ago it was $112/hour and $45 for the CFI. Today it's $129 and $55. The $112 and $45 was overpriced for the crappy POS airplanes and that instructor who sucked (in hindsight).

I think my kid felt rushed...but he had a hard deadline: be a private pilot before leaving for college or pay another $10K for training at the U! Perhaps I was more motivated than he. His temporary airman certificate was time-stamped at 5:32 pm the day before we left for college.

Wow, talk about cutting it close ... good job dad!

I did my PPL in 2007. Initial 152 rate was $60 then increased to $65 to $70 at end of training. Had about 60 hours in (approx 3600 and maybe 40 dual at $35 ... about $5000 all in). If I had to to it estimating $10, 000 I don't think I would've gotten into this hobby.

Back