Get rid of my DG?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
My plane came with an HSI as part of the 6 pack, but there is also a DG way over on the copilot side. Is there any reason to not get rid of the DG? Is there redundancy for any good reason? I'm VFR only, maybe IFR in the future. I have the whiskey compass. Fly with ForeFlight.

Are you IFR rated? If so, is the airplane able to be certified for IFR flight?

Why do you want to get rid of it? Has it failed? Need the hole for an engine monitor? Something else?

No, not IFR rated. Plane was/is able to be IFR cert.

Just "sanitizing" the panel. I got a nice replacement dash overlay that's got a smaller hole where the extra DG currently is and hate to cut it. If it's good redundancy for IFR, I'll cut the panel (paid less than $100 for it).

I also have a stormscope that's inop that I may get rid of for the same reason (need a square cut in round hole).

Plus, new W&B, would be able to carry another gallon of fuel...

I wish my plane had come with a mechanical HSI, but I've just got a DG. I am going to replace it eventually. If I go with an Aspen, I need to keep the AI but one guy I know replaced the backup AI with a G5 (Apsen + G5 AI). The other option is 2 G5s. I wish Garmin made something a bit closer to the Aspen than 2 G5s.

Most HSIs have electric gyros in them (and are dependent on electric to drive the display anyhow). The previous owner probably thought he needed a vacuum backup though such is not specifically required.

Any chance that the DG is part of an autopilot installation that cannot be or was chosen not to be driven by the HSI? That may have been why the DG was left in the panel.

Ever have anyone on the right seat that wants to track a course? I'd leave it.

My "right seat" panel in the RV is the GPS derived panel of the 696.

Unless it's needed for a AP or something, I'd ditch it,

Lots of GA planes have so much extra crap people put in them it's sad. My 185 had a frickin CD player and alieron trim, so stupid! I ditched the CD player and if it wasn't such as pain and wasn't relatively light anyway I'd ditch the trim, frankly lots of these add ons are poorly thought out. Example of the trim, the plane already had alieron trim, it's called selecting which tank you want to burn off of.

Any chance that the DG is part of an autopilot installation that cannot be or was chosen not to be driven by the HSI? That may have been why the DG was left in the panel.

Good question. My HSI is connected to AP.

Is it a useful backup? Think in terms of your future needs.

Back