get a quote for maintenance.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Owners should get a cost quote prior to allowing the A&P allowing the aircraft get torn up.
be specific.
annual should cost $500.00 labor $50. per hour

Owners should get a cost quote prior to allowing the A&P allowing the aircraft get torn up.
be specific.

So you are now setting annual rates and labor rates for the entire country? :confused: And what airplane are we talking about? o_O

BTW, make sure to read the directions on your medication. I'm willing to bet it states "Do not consume alcohol while taking this medication". ;)

But that equals 10 hours for the annual at $50 per hr. I thought it only took you 20-30 minutes? So why the $475 over charge?o_O
You don't even understand what a flat fee means.
All you know is stick it to the customer.

Parker annuals are a cancer in general aviation. Lord help the owner and IA who actually understands what is needed and actually does it after years of neglect with $500 annuals.

"I never pull the headliner down on my 150".

"That is why your carry through spar is corroded and the seized pulleys have worn half through your cables".

Owners need education on this before falling in love with an aircraft that is older than them.

the F are you on about?

I don't leave my chair for 50 bucks an hour, which is basically an Applebee's meal. Not as CFI, not as mechanic, not as tech dude.

Can I bring you my plane next year for that $500 wonder annual? Will you be running the Beech checklist on it, or some special homebrew thing of your own? No I won't be helping you remove any panels, but I can watch and cheer you on from the shade, assuming you have WiFi. I'll be sipping a refreshing iced tea or three. :D

$500 and $50? I wish. Try $2,000 and $100. :(

I have no issue with a fixed price for an annual, and $XX/hour above that for any discrepancies / repairs. Both of my IA's have quoted that way for my 20+ years of aircraft ownership. However, the rates Tom posted aren't feasible or obtainable in any metro area that I know of... if I lived close to Tom I'd take advantage of his services.

I have no issue with a fixed price for an annual, and $XX/hour above that for any discrepancies / repairs. Both of my IA's have quoted that way for my 20+ years of aircraft ownership. However, the rates Tom posted aren't feasible or obtainable in any metro area that I know of... if I lived close to Tom I'd take advantage of his services.

03-BICcristal2008-03-26.jpg

I do live close to Tom, and have taken advantage of his services for almost 20 years. After that time, my 1979 Warrior is in excellent shape, and Tom has been extremely generous in sharing his knowledge and has been patient in my plane owner education.

Steveo Youtuber just got TBM out of annual....$93,000
For a plane that was working fine.

So you are now setting annual rates and labor rates for the entire country? :confused: And what airplane are we talking about? o_O

BTW, make sure to read the directions on your medication. I'm willing to bet it states "Do not consume alcohol while taking this medication". ;)
I read it as a ferinstance.

Last edited:

yep. that's about on par with most small piston aircraft. great comparison. apples to apples fo sho. rock solid post as always. top notch. 10/10.

Steveo Youtuber just got TBM out of annual....$93,000. For a plane that was working fine.
Perhaps send Steveo Tom-D's contact info? I'm sure he could save him a few nickels next year....:rolleyes:

yep. that's about on par with most small piston aircraft. great comparison. apples to apples fo sho. rock solid post as always. top notch. 10/10.

No where does anyone mention this is for “small piston” aircraft.

It’s POA, not POSPAOA.

I didn’t really expect anyone to take the post so seriously.

A TBM should have a $500 annual? From a factory dealer shop no less? How do you know the 93k wasn't quoted? How do you know it was "working fine"? What work was done?

I think I stumbled on that video last night, was that the one where he can't depart the MTX facility because the prop governor came out of MTX broken? My faith in the manufacturer's facility has slipped a bit. As to the overall cost, I'm guessing one of three things: a) expensive SB, 2) expensive AD, iii) undisclosed upgrade.

Tom D does not speak in complete sentences when he types. That is not unique by any means. Nonetheless no need to imagine he is more arrogant than the rest of us. I read his post as advice about process not a mandate for $500/$50 annuals/squawks nationwide. I don't think this took a big leap.

be specific.
Tom, did you mean that $500/$50 per hour as an example? I can't imagine you meant that should be the fixed price for all mechanics on all planes anywhere.

I think I stumbled on that video last night, was that the one where he can't depart the MTX facility because the prop governor came out of MTX broken? My faith in the manufacturer's facility has slipped a bit. As to the overall cost, I'm guessing one of three things: a) expensive SB, 2) expensive AD, iii) undisclosed upgrade.

Tom D does not speak in complete sentences when he types. That is not unique by any means. Nonetheless no need to imagine he is more arrogant than the rest of us. I read his post as advice about process not a mandate for $500/$50 annuals/squawks nationwide. I don't think this took a big leap.

PT6 Over speed governors can fail anytime. They are an airframe item, so it might be something specific to the model.

Back when I had my T-Craft (mid 1980s) the shop I used charged $2/HP for annuals, parts and repair labor extra. A reasonable approach, since complexity usually scales roughly with horsepower. Of course nowadays it'd be more than $2...

What's an "annual"? I wonder if the OP meant "annual inspection" rather than the term "annual" as understood/used by owners of small aircraft.

Tom, did you mean that $500/$50 per hour as an example? I can't imagine you meant that should be the fixed price for all mechanics on all planes anywhere.
$500.00 for the annual inspection. $50.00 per hour for labor.

of course that will vary. don't bring me a Super Connie and expect to pay $500.
My usual fee is for a Cessna single.

my yamaha guy charges 130hr to fix an outboard motor, there is no way i'm turning a wrench for 50/hr on an airplane.
When you charge more, the phone won't ring. Average A&P gets $15

OBVIOUSLY he was giving an example.

Back