GE's New Turbo Prop Engine

From the article:
The first aircraft to use the new engine will be the Nextant G90XT business jet, which should be flying with it by the end of the year, and the Thrush 510G crop duster is second in line to receive an engine upgrade to the EEPC H Series.

A turboprop engine on a business jet? Interesting idea.

From the article:

A turboprop engine on a business jet? Interesting idea.

The idea is you run the turbo prop at low altitude then switch to turbines at high altitude. :)

I can see where the author got mixed up after reading Nextant's website.

The Aerostar was a twin recip, and now they threw a couple jet engines on it. Probably won't be able to market it though.

GE's new turbo prop is just a warmed over Walter M601, which GE bought. It's been out for decades.

Anyone remember the Piper Enforcer? Back in the early 80s it had a turbine and was modeled after a P-51. There's 2 around, one at Edwards and the other at the Air Force Museum I believe. Be a beast with this motor on it!

220px-Piper_Enforcer.jpe 1024px-Piper_PA48_Enforcer_USAF.jpe

Attachments

• 1024px-Piper_PA48_Enforcer_USAF.jpe
    1024px-Piper_PA48_Enforcer_USAF.jpe
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This thread got me thinking, would GE or whom ever be able to build a turbo prop engine that would weight the same as 0-540 but make 350-400 prop HP, and have a 5-6k hour tbo?

Seems like it would be an option when your piston engine needs an overhaul

This thread got me thinking, would GE or whom ever be able to build a turbo prop engine that would weight the same as 0-540 but make 350-400 prop HP, and have a 5-6k hour tbo?

Carrying enough fuel in to feed the turbo prop particularly at lower altitudes would be the problem I think.

John

Garrett TPE331? 575 hp, 336 lbs.

sure they could. but can they do it for near the cost of a piston engine. i doubt it.

bob

Back