Georgia Pilots

Don't think there are many SC aviators on this forum to have a fly-in with, so if you guys happen to have a fly-in in Augusta during the summer, I may hop across the border for the day and come out to meet some fellow POAers.

The Georgia gang has gone to GMU before for lunch at that Runway Cafe. Probably one of our largest turnouts.

I'll be relocating the Bonanza from Hinesville GA to Ridgeland SC on June 1st. About a 30 minute flight to Augusta. Let me know when you're in town, we'll go for a ride.

Well I'm in Columbia which is a little ways from Augusta. But I'll be there all June and July if you want to drop in for a bite and a flight. I'm not a doctor so I should be safe in the Bo' :) Never heard of Ridgeland, but the low country sure is nice. Of course, you know that coming from Savannah. Did my long XC to Waltersboro which is pretty nearby.

Well I'm in Columbia which is a little ways from Augusta. But I'll be there all June and July if you want to drop in for a bite and a flight. I'm not a doctor so I should be safe in the Bo' :) Never heard of Ridgeland, but the low country sure is nice. Of course, you know that coming from Savannah. Did my long XC to Waltersboro which is pretty nearby.

Well, I'm just moving about 8-10 miles up river, don't think the scenery is going to change too much :)

Ridgeland was the most active small GA airport I've ever been too. Short strip, but lots of folks out there.

Well, I'm just moving about 8-10 miles up river, don't think the scenery is going to change too much :)

Ridgeland was the most active small GA airport I've ever been too. Short strip, but lots of folks out there.

You moving the plane or yourself? Seems less than worth it to relocate that far for work.

Peachtree City here (I'm NOT with Delta, at least not yet ;) ). Waiting for my paycheck to allow getting back into personal flying.

Woohoo! Another south-sider!

Welcome to PoA.

You moving the plane or yourself? Seems less than worth it to relocate that far for work.

Both, about halfway between my work and Ridgeland airport. about another 5-10 minutes added to the commute to worke, shaved about 30 minutes off the drive to the airport.

Not in Georgia anymore, but I did start my training there. Flew out of cook county and valdosta.

This thread took off quicker than what I thought it would. I am glad that I was able to get the Georgia aviation community talking on here.

Peachtree City here (I'm NOT with Delta, at least not yet ;) ). Waiting for my paycheck to allow getting back into personal flying.

'Nother one here. I'm in Tyrone.

We're practically neighbors. Keep the plane at 4A7 right now, but looking to get into a hangar spot at FFC or CCO.

Last edited:
We're practically neighbors. Keep the plane at 4A7 right now, but looking to get into a hangar spot at FFC or CCO.

That's a pretty good drive from Newnan down to Hampton! I'm trying to get back into flying after raising my daughters. Are you a member of EAA Ch. 6 at CCO?

That's a pretty good drive from Newnan down to Hampton! I'm trying to get back into flying after raising my daughters. Are you a member of EAA Ch. 6 at CCO?

Yeah. It's a haul. We lived in Fayetteville (7 miles from 4A7) for a couple of years before moving to where we are now. It has seriously hampered my spur of the moment afternoon flying time.

I didn't know there was an EAA chapter at CCO. I'll have to look them up!

Anyone flying today?

Not today....I had to work. Wednesday I had my biannual flight review which was almost an hour of doing hood work, emergency procedures and etc. After my flight review I did a XC from KEOE to KBXG. Then yesterday another XC from KBXG back to KEOE. Sunday afternoon it will be back to KBXG again.

How did I miss this thread? Griffin, Ga pilot checking in. I went to flight school with Steve back in 2004, been friends ever since.

Mike I thought about you the other day. I had a student that was wanting to go to Fitzgerald, GA. Runway 15 - 33!

I made two stops in CSG in the PC-12 Thursday. Was only the five minutes each time. Maybe next time I'll have more time.

182 out of Cherokee County airport. Long time lurker, first time poster ;)

Hey Keith, I have a brother in your area. He lives on Brown Bridge Rd about half way between Conyers and Covington. He picks me up at the Covington airport and we go to the buffet that's in the old train station coming into Covington. I think it may be called Thomas Buffet if I remember correctly.
Do you fly out of Covington?

I don't fly anything at the moment. Sold the plane last month. It was based in Madison (52A).
Taking a break from hands on. Lots of stuff occupying life right now. I have friends who fly out of Covington,and get invites from time to time.

182 out of Cherokee County airport. Long time lurker, first time poster ;)
Glad ta have you aboard Joe!!
I usta fly outta 47A/cni. Now I hang around JZP. (less comercializm)
But might have to get a spot in the public hanger if all goes according to plan, and I can get Jimmy to get realistic on the rate.

Glad ta have you aboard Joe!!
I usta fly outta 47A/cni. Now I hang around JZP. (less comercializm)
But might have to get a spot in the public hanger if all goes according to plan, and I can get Jimmy to get realistic on the rate.

I am in the group hanger. Jimmy and the crew have taken good care of me. If you are ever over there I am N122TG. It's a white/maroon 182. How do you like it over at JZP? What are you flying over there. I have thought about trying to go to McCollum to avoid all the crazy winds and turbulence that exist at KCNI but it is really convenient and the horrible conditions do keep me sharp.

I live in North Florida but did many, many landings at BGE in Bainbridge during my training. I would fly there from both Marianna (MAI)where I am based now and from 2J9 in Quincy, FL. I also did my long cross country through Georgia landing at TVI in Thomasville. Anyone fly around the South side of the state?

I fly around south GA a good bit. Waycross (KAYS) is a good place to stop for fuel. I flew down to KSSI a few months ago for a $300 seafood run. Nice courtesy car and a charming town, you should give it a try if you need a place to fly.

Islandtime5.jpg

Islandtime2.jpg

KSSIday3.jpg

KSSIday4.jpg

SSI is a nice place. I lived there for a while many years ago. And still visit from time to time. Fuel is kinda pricey there, and they won't waive tiedown fee with fillup, so I get gas elsewhere.
I get free lodging while I'm there as my sister lives within walking distance of GIA.
Well I say "free". I gotta pay with the fish I catch.:D

I am in the group hanger. Jimmy and the crew have taken good care of me. If you are ever over there I am N122TG. It's a white/maroon 182. How do you like it over at JZP? What are you flying over there. I have thought about trying to go to McCollum to avoid all the crazy winds and turbulence that exist at KCNI but it is really convenient and the horrible conditions do keep me sharp.

Not flying anything just now. Unless I can catch a ride in a Luscombe, when Henry and Deb are out and about.
Some time next month I should have a nice 182, which Dad sez will be kept inna hanger else I'm not allowed to have it. I'd like to keep it at JZP, but there is no hanger space, and ya gotts ta literally wait on someone to die before one comes available. But their T hangers are cheaper than the community hanger at CNI.
With the new taxiway, and space to build hangers, I'm looking for a few folks to split the bills, and we'll build one. But as yet have no takers.

It ain't that bad at CNI, once ya get used to it, it's just business as usuall.

Not flying anything just now. Unless I can catch a ride in a Luscombe, when Henry and Deb are out and about.
Some time next month I should have a nice 182, which Dad sez will be kept inna hanger else I'm not allowed to have it. I'd like to keep it at JZP, but there is no hanger space, and ya gotts ta literally wait on someone to die before one comes available. But their T hangers are cheaper than the community hanger at CNI.
With the new taxiway, and space to build hangers, I'm looking for a few folks to split the bills, and we'll build one. But as yet have no takers.

It ain't that bad at CNI, once ya get used to it, it's just business as usuall.

I love the people at CNI but I will have to respectfully disagree about the conditions. Last year I logged about 250 cross country hours from Arizona to Wisconsin, to Florida. All of theses trips originated and concluded at KCNI. In my travels I have yet to find an airport with as consistently crappy crosswinds and turbulence as KCNI. Plus that nice little updraft on 23 short final is always fun ;).

That said, the airport has very nice facilities and the staff from linemen to management are outstanding! I will probably be a hanger resident there for years to come. A couple weeks go they repaved the runway to level out the large hump in the middle. I am looking forward to trying it out soon.

I fly around south GA a good bit. Waycross (KAYS) is a good place to stop for fuel. I flew down to KSSI a few months ago for a $300 seafood run. Nice courtesy car and a charming town, you should give it a try if you need a place to fly.
i love flying down to the coast too. I worked in St. Marys for six weeks one summer but stayed on St. Simons Island and flew back and forth between KSSI and 4J6 each day. It was an awesome commute with beautiful scenry. I also enjoy Jekyll Island too. They have these electric 'Red Bug' cars you can rent at the airport to tour the island.

I love the people at CNI but I will have to respectfully disagree about the conditions. Last year I logged about 250 cross country hours from Arizona to Wisconsin, to Florida. All of theses trips originated and concluded at KCNI. In my travels I have yet to find an airport with as consistently crappy crosswinds and turbulence as KCNI. Plus that nice little updraft on 23 short final is always fun ;).

That said, the airport has very nice facilities and the staff from linemen to management are outstanding! I will probably be a hanger resident there for years to come. A couple weeks go they repaved the runway to level out the large hump in the middle. I am looking forward to trying it out soon.

Makes for a great training environment. :D
I remember when the pattern was full, with folks on the ground waiting to get out, and folks waiting to get in the pattern. Lots of extended downwinds, and "I'll come back later", All day long.

Well I guess I should check in... Live in Stockbridge about a mile off the end of Berry Hill, just purchased a 1960 Comanche 250 that was based at FFC. Will move it to 4A7 once it reopens soon. Working on my Instrument and then Commercial soon after.

I guess I also should say that most weekends you can find me at OPN as an AFF and Tandem instructor at Skydive Atlanta. BTW, skydivers love to talk as much as pilots do so if you stop by to get the cheap gas at OPN please stop by and say hi at our hanger, you'll be warmly welcomed.

Andy

WooHoo! I am officially a 2013 sr22t gts owner flying out of KRYY. I guess it is goodbye to KCNI for now. By the way if anyone is looking for a souped up 182 mine will be going up for sale shortly. 155 knot cruise, 1700 ft climb rate, 530 WASS w/coupled autopilot, new interior/exterior 2006, etc... I am going to miss her :(

I will have all the info up soon and let you know in the classified section in case anyone is interested. Otherwise, go georgia pilots!!!!

WooHoo! I am officially a 2013 sr22t gts owner flying out of KRYY. I guess it is goodbye to KCNI for now. By the way if anyone is looking for a souped up 182 mine will be going up for sale shortly. 155 knot cruise, 1700 ft climb rate, 530 WASS w/coupled autopilot, new interior/exterior 2006, etc... I am going to miss her :(

I will have all the info up soon and let you know in the classified section in case anyone is interested. Otherwise, go georgia pilots!!!!

If you ever have an empty seat and won't mind a tag along, I would love to fly in a 22... I'll buy the lunch or dinner :)

Andy

Back