General rivet math

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Not necessarily aviation specific:

What’s the math when it comes to spacing rivets and determining proper diameters? I’m guessing there’s a pretty well used formula somewhere. I think about this when I see rivet lines on aircraft skins, bridge supports, building beams, and all sorts of other structures.

Not less than 3 times the rivet diameter, measured center to center. And normally, not more than 8 times rivet diameter. I believe the preferred spacing usually works out to be around 4 times the diameter in a single row. Using a fan-spacer to set rivet pitch and maintain edge distances of the rivets on either end of the row is usually the trick.

Not less than 3 times the rivet diameter, measured center to center. And normally, not more than 8 times rivet diameter. I believe the preferred spacing usually works out to be around 4 times the diameter in a single row. Using a fan-spacer to set rivet pitch and maintain edge distances of the rivets on either end of the row is usually the trick.
That is the minimum distance. I've never seen a maximum given.

Not necessarily aviation specific:

What’s the math when it comes to spacing rivets and determining proper diameters? I’m guessing there’s a pretty well used formula somewhere. I think about this when I see rivet lines on aircraft skins, bridge supports, building beams, and all sorts of other structures.
Rivet spacing is normally given in the manufacturers structural repair manual. EXP aircraft have data given in the kit or blue prints directions

Back