General Aviation vs General Public

I have to laugh at that one.

Do they expect the guy would file a flight plan indicating his intention to hit a building?

I asked the same question. Some think that everyone should file a flight plan and if the pilot deviates from that plan then an intercept should be initiated.

... I guess these folks think that the entire Air Force is on standby waiting to intercept Cessnas at a moments notice.

I have to laugh at that one.

Do they expect the guy would file a flight plan indicating his intention to hit a building?

If he was on a flight plan the air traffic CONTROLLERS could have prevented him from hitting the building. :rolleyes2:

Thank goodness he didn't walk into that building with a gun.

Or use his car to attack the smokers standing outside.

I asked the same question. Some think that everyone should file a flight plan and if the pilot deviates from that plan then an intercept should be initiated.
Like the 1/5/02 flight was intercepted?

"The pilot ignored the hand signals"

... I guess these folks think that the entire Air Force is on standby waiting to intercept Cessnas at a moments notice.

That would be comparable to having police cars sitting around waiting for any motorist to deviate from a pre-filed route.

I ran into that some years ago. When I mentioned that we can glide, she said, "Oh no, when the engine quits, they just go straight down!" Her friend, who had been married to a pilot, backed me up. (I wish it had occurred to me to say "That only happens when the pilot panics." It might have helped her understand, since there obviously have been cases where it has happened the way she described.)
Then you have to address how "panic" is perceived by her. You may think 'to panic' is abnormal behavior in this context but others may think it normal 'to panic' or at least they tend to minimize the deleterious effects of that behavior. That is, humans tend to normalize their behavior even if they themselves perceive it as 'not-normal'.

And, why would she not wonder what is to keep you from panicking? I have found it very difficult at times to overcome the fear in another person. Of course fear is irrational but that is hardly a place to start.

The two biggest myths are that GA is unaffordable, and that boating is affordable :rofl:
That's no lie.

Yesterday I saw a guy who is selling his flat bottom lake boat. He claimed that three months ago he finished investing $60K in upgrades yet he lists $6,000 as selling price. (yes, I have the correct amount of zeros...not a typo.) BTW: the boat has been in the water 2 times all summer plus once yesterday.

The press is always, after a crash, making a big deal that there was "no flight plan filed." To them it indicates that the flight was not planned. We here, know different.

The question I always get relates to the flight plan one...... "What, you mean we can go now, anywhere?"

Even my neighbor who I had been discussing flying with, thought I had to schedule a departure and fly a flight plan. He was surprised that we could just "fly around" and drop into airports for a visit.

Had some family over from France, they said the same thing. "You can just go anywhere? Anytime?"
I likened it to a car. Nobody tells you that you have to take the freeway at a certain time, or that you can't go somewhere. It's a flying car really. Just obey the rules and you can go almost anywhere at almost any time! (and much faster than driving there!!!)

Then you have to address how "panic" is perceived by her. You may think 'to panic' is abnormal behavior in this context but others may think it normal 'to panic' or at least they tend to minimize the deleterious effects of that behavior. That is, humans tend to normalize their behavior even if they themselves perceive it as 'not-normal'.

Perhaps it would be better to say that it happens when the pilot responds to the emergency incorrectly, and this is why we train for emergencies.

And, why would she not wonder what is to keep you from panicking? I have found it very difficult at times to overcome the fear in another person. Of course fear is irrational but that is hardly a place to start.

Overcoming her fear was not my concern - I wasn't interested in getting her to go flying with me. I just regretted missing an opportunity to help her understand airplanes better.

Humorous and true - great responses! I plan on asking 'the public' questions like how does a pilot know where he/she is while in the air? And then do a very basic explanation with in-flight footage. I could even take my hand off the wheel and remain in straight and level!!

I had a friend's dad ( a doctor, actually not a real sharp guy IMO) ask how high I cruised. When I replied anywhere from around 3-10,000 feet normally, he said 'oh that's good then, so you can bail out from up there'

He thought it was ridiculous that I didn't wear a parachute. When I told him that you can glide down easily and land in a cornfield at 45mph should you lose the engine he asked "but won't you stall??"

My wife was very surprised to learn that there is no fee for landing at any airports, and that you can basically just pick an airport -- any airport -- and fly in there, unannounced. "Unannounced" meaning of course without filing a flight plan and getting it approved. I mentioned taking a plane instead of a car or the Harley to someplace like Charlotte and she was shocked to learn that we, in our (currently hypothetical) little single engine 4-seater, could just fly in and out of a major airport. When I mentioned the possibility of eventual ownership her reaction was quick and concise... that was before I mentioned that many of the planes I've looked at as potential candidates would cost less than her car, and no, a T-hangar doesn't cost as much as our mortgage payment, and no, tying it down outside won't ruin it.

I didn't mention the concept of the AMU. I doubt that would surprise her at all. :)

1) That Pilots are rich

2) That all airports have control towers or that you have to talk to someone or get permission to land.

3) That if it has 4 seats it can carry 4 people

I especially like the "all pilots are rich" one. Who wouldn't think that if you're not privy?

The most startling comment I've heard from a non-pilot recently was when I took someone out on the ramp at Signature SFO to show them the airplane. "How do you tell which one is yours?" :confused: :idea:

The most startling comment I've heard from a non-pilot recently was when I took someone out on the ramp at Signature SFO to show them the airplane. "How do you tell which one is yours?" :confused: :idea:

Just tell them that you just take the one you want.

Or maybe you shouldn't do that.

Heh heh, "Let's see which one the key fits and fly it!"

I've got a mischievous streak when it comes to goofy comments like that.

Heh heh, "Let's see which one the key fits and fly it!"

I've got a mischievous streak when it comes to goofy comments like that.
All I could think of was, "How do you tell which car is yours in a parking lot? These airplanes have large numbers on them, and they don't even come close to looking alike!" No, I didn't really say that but I was thinking it.

I should have gone up the steps of a Gulfstream...

Back