General Aviation vs General Public

raider

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Food Flight
What do you think are the biggest misconceptions or mysteries of aviation that the public has? Besides the obvious 'stall' term.

Fear of heights and getting past the feeling you may puke to the point you want to go out and learn aerobatics.

So they think they'll get sick, yes, run into that a lot! I think it's the visual they get when they see a single engine versus their trusted huge airliner. Good one.

I don't think the general public knows what the term "general aviation" means.

And a corollary to that one is the belief that you have to be rich to fly a private plane. People I talk to are often surprised that flying a small rental plane is not more expensive than it is.

That airplanes crash due to a lack of flight plans.

While people may not really believe that, MANY, MANY, people belive that if the engine quits you will loose control.

Just try convincing one of them othewise some day.

While people may not really believe that, MANY, MANY, people belive that if the engine quits you will loose control.

I ran into that some years ago. When I mentioned that we can glide, she said, "Oh no, when the engine quits, they just go straight down!" Her friend, who had been married to a pilot, backed me up. (I wish it had occurred to me to say "That only happens when the pilot panics." It might have helped her understand, since there obviously have been cases where it has happened the way she described.)

And a corollary to that one is the belief that you have to be rich to fly a private plane. People I talk to are often surprised that flying a small rental plane is not more expensive than it is.
I think it surprises many people that a regular guy like me owns a plane. I'm living proof you don't have to be rich to own one.

I ran into that some years ago. When I mentioned that we can glide, she said, "Oh no, when the engine quits, they just go straight down!" Her friend, who had been married to a pilot, backed me up. (I wish it had occurred to me to say "That only happens when the pilot panics." It might have helped her understand, since there obviously have been cases where it has happened the way she described.)

But, by the same logic, then anytime the engine on a car quits, the car should disintegrate. How many times does that happen?

But, by the same logic, then anytime the engine on a car quits, the car should disintegrate. How many times does that happen?

Well, I have noticed that when a car goes through a flimsy wooden fence and over a cliff they blow up in mid air.

(If it's on TV it must be true.)

We are seen as a dangerous nuisance. Most of the information that people get on GA is wrong, and comes from a media hell bent on ratings and sensationalism. To them airplane accidents (crashes) are sexy.

Couple the media's attitude towards GA with our government's fear of our freedom of transportation (FAA, DHS, DOD, etc), and a culture of disinformation pervades.

Add the increased nanny state, safety at all costs mantra of the baby boomer generation, and you get death by a thousand cuts. Not to mention the cost of owning an operating an airplane that will actually go somewhere. :rolleyes:

I can't even think of one TV or movie scene where even a minor engine malfunction does not result in wild oscillations and at best a controlled crash. :rolleyes2:

I'm not sure if it's the biggest, but one strange thing I've heard more than once is that we are all supposed to be radar-tracked, and controlled, everywhere, all the time. I had a co-worker refuse to take a ride with me because I'd be choosing altitude and heading... told him we could use flight following, but it didn't help. It also didn't help to remind him that essentially, it's the same as being out on a boat (something he's familiar with). :dunno:

I'm not sure if it's the biggest, but one strange thing I've heard more than once is that we are all supposed to be radar-tracked, and controlled, everywhere, all the time. I had a co-worker refuse to take a ride with me because I'd be choosing altitude and heading... told him we could use flight following, but it didn't help. It also didn't help to remind him that essentially, it's the same as being out on a boat (something he's familiar with). :dunno:

I had a friend (guy I used to work with) exclaim in utter disbelief when I told him that I did not have on board radar, but used my eyes to avoid other traffic in the air. I explained FF/radar advisories, but by then the damage was done, and he was off on a rant why GA is so dangerous, obviously to make himself feel better about being a scared WUS.

That airplanes crash due to a lack of flight plans.

I'll be the first to admit something similar to this. Before I started studying to go through all of this, every time I heard a news report that the pilot "didn't file a flight plan," I always thought he was breaking major rules and that was somehow part of the larger story. Like the pilot was trying to get away with something and flying when he shouldn't have. :nono:

:no: :no: :no: Glad I have since learned otherwise. Again with the media portraying something that doesn't exist.

Small planes are incredibly dangerous and crash ALL the time. That's what people keep telling me. And yes, an engine failure will cause the plane to fall from the sky out of control.

What do you think are the biggest misconceptions or mysteries of aviation that the public has? Besides the obvious 'stall' term.
The unknown.

Since there are many things about GA they don't know or are misinformed about, they fear them.

After attending a recent AOPA event that showed the reduced numbers of folks entering GA and how many of those entrants that don't complete their initial training, I saw there is a need for existing pilots to become involved in something that helps to promote GA to the general public in a fashion that is a very positive experience.

I have an idea percolating to form a small local/regional advocacy group aimed at attending public events to promote GA, explain why it's so useful, and work toward gaining more acceptance and exciting more folks to come check it out (discovery flights, and pilot training).

The "draw" at these events would be a travelling "showpiece" aircraft that we would display and allow folks to walk around and sit in. This aircraft would be a non-flying aircraft that we specifically modified to be at the shows. Modifications would be
  • Many items removed to save weight
  • Fuel tanks removed
  • Wings easy to remove and reinstall
  • Avionics and radios switched to "look modern", but are powered at regular current and info fed by a PC Computer (hidden in baggage compartment)
  • Overhead speaker configured to play an active LiveATC feed.
  • Updated interior and exterior paint to look attractive and feature "branding" that promotes our group and GA in particular.
  • Easy to transport on enclosed or open trailer.
Again, idea is to have an aircraft that sits behind our display table that is purpose created to allow everyone to touch and experience. A member of our group would be standing nearby to answer questions and take photographs.

Events I see attending would include shopping mall appearances, local air shows, local festivals (music, food, 4th of July), airport events, air museums, etc.

Total purpose is to develop something that is a bridge between the public and their curiosity and local providers of GA services such as the schools, instructors, FBO's and airports. The group would remain independant of these entities as much as possible, but would be willing to refer interested public to those entities that support the group (logistically or financially).

During the event, the group interacts with the public, de-mystifies GA, explains that it is an affordable alternative to commercial travel hassle (*cough* the TSA *cough*), and gives them an opportunity to experience a light aircraft in a static setting. Connections with the local airpots/FBOs/Instructors are already made so if a visitor shows interest, they can be directed to someone at the event with us or near to their home that can help complete the loop.

I think most people believe that 20,000 hour airline pilots with gray hair are born that way, not that they started out in small planes and worked their way up, and that airlines automatically mean that they're the best pilots. I explain the realities of small aircraft, and answer questions as asked. A lot of people have had not only their first small airplane ride, but also their first airplane ride period with me at the controls, on more than one occasion going to remote middle of nowhere places. When I answer questions, it puts them at ease.

Actually, the funniest misconception I ever got was "Don't you get bored in cruise? I mean, you aren't doing anything." About 5 minutes later the weather I'd been watching since we took off got more interesting and so I dodged around the bad stuff. Suddenly this person understood what I was doing.

Something a group that I mention above should also do is being involved with the various flying charities (GraceFlight, AngelFlight, Pilots-n-Paws, etc) and use these activites and the local events to promote themselves to reporters in the local media.

Get these local talking heads interested and properly educated and you'll gain some support in changing the minds of the local population and media.

I think most people believe that 20,000 hour airline pilots with gray hair are born that way
In my father's day (1950's and 60's) the route to a flying job with the airlines was military, and folks grew accustomed to decent and good pilots coming from there with an appropriate level of discipline and training.

Now, as Ted says, it's more common for them to come from other vectors. And fewer of the guys I see in the cockpit are "gray hair" types. Many of them are my age (40's) and younger.

I don't think the general public knows what the term "general aviation" means.

Phil Boyer said that in One-Six Right.

I do have to agree that most people think a single-engine light aircraft is going to nose dive / spin wildly out of control, if the engine quits.

Next up, is the lack of understanding of how much you learn just to be safe, by relying on your own decisions. Most seem to think that ATC controls everything in the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do have to agree that most people think a single-engine light aircraft is going to nose dive / spin wildly out of control, if the engine quits.
A lot of fixed-wing pilots think the same thing about helicopters.

I'm not sure that the general public gives much thought to general aviation which makes sense in a way. How much thought do pilots give to other people's hobbies or jobs which don't really interest them?

When I encounter people that are afraid of small planes, I point out to them that, if we are flying in my plane and we must do an off airport landing, we will most likely walk away from it without injury. If we are in a 737 that has to do an off airport landing, we will most likely not walk away from it.

I'm not sure that the general public gives much thought to general aviation which makes sense in a way. How much thought do pilots give to other people's hobbies or jobs which don't really interest them?
I think this is it. It's a bit arrogant to look down on someone who is ignorant of your chosen hobby. "Getting the word out" about GA only works if people are interested, which most aren't.

The "draw" at these events would be a travelling "showpiece" aircraft that we would display and allow folks to walk around and sit in. This aircraft would be a non-flying aircraft that we specifically modified to be at the shows. Modifications would be
  • Many items removed to save weight
  • Fuel tanks removed
  • Wings easy to remove and reinstall
  • Avionics and radios switched to "look modern", but are powered at regular current and info fed by a PC Computer (hidden in baggage compartment)
  • Overhead speaker configured to play an active LiveATC feed.
  • Updated interior and exterior paint to look attractive and feature "branding" that promotes our group and GA in particular.
  • Easy to transport on enclosed or open trailer.
Again, idea is to have an aircraft that sits behind our display table that is purpose created to allow everyone to touch and experience. A member of our group would be standing nearby to answer questions and take photographs.

I believe you just described... a glider. :) I'm surprised Tony didn't pipe up.

I believe you just described... a glider. :) I'm surprised Tony didn't pipe up.
lol... While a glider would be welcome, I think a powered aircraft (like an older C172 or Grumman Traveler) would be a better fit toward being the show piece that would get the public interested.

Everyone has seen them in the sky, but very few have been invited to touch or sit in one.

My idea is to take aware some of the "fear" by given them something positive to experience.

Sorta like an interactive exhibit at a museum where because we touch, feel, play, we come away with a good understanding of what that teaches.

Last edited:
Everyone has seen them in the sky, but very few have been invited to touch or sit in one

This got me thinking about Kimberly's recent experience trying to find someone to share the joy of a local flight. I too have had a similar experience.

But perhaps once I own an aircraft, the tactic when someone discovers I'm a pilot is to just invite them to the hanger for a see/touch/feel experience. Allow them to see that the aircraft is well built and properly equipped for safe flight. Allow them to sit in the left seat, operate the yoke and pedals, and imagine themselves flying.

Then if you see they are enjoying themselves, offer for them to return at another time for a local flight, unless they really light up and you say, ".... or we could go now."

Summarizing, get them involved slowly, but allowing them to first dip in their toe before being tossed into the deep end.

Gwen, I was referring to cases where where pilots have panicked when the engine quit, and pulled back on the yoke until the plane stalled without sufficient altitude to recover. I'm thinking that the lady may have heard of an accident like that, and didn't know that the cause of the loss of control was the pilot's improper response to the engine failure, not the engine failure itself.

I had a friend (guy I used to work with) exclaim in utter disbelief when I told him that I did not have on board radar, but used my eyes to avoid other traffic in the air. I explained FF/radar advisories, but by then the damage was done, and he was off on a rant why GA is so dangerous, obviously to make himself feel better about being a scared WUS.

He was scared for the wrong reason. GA has a considerably higher fatality rate than driving, but midair collisions are a very small percentage of the total.

The question I always get relates to the flight plan one...... "What, you mean we can go now, anywhere?"

Even my neighbor who I had been discussing flying with, thought I had to schedule a departure and fly a flight plan. He was surprised that we could just "fly around" and drop into airports for a visit.

Some interesting things I've heard or read. Most of them from the comments section of the local newspaper:

After the guy in Austin killed himself by hitting a building -
"He didn't have a flight plan? ALL planes should be required to have a flight plan".

After a pilot performed an emergency landing on a golf course near downtown Houston -
"That little plane should never have been allowed to get THAT close to Hobby airport". This one made me laugh out loud. My sarcasm: Yeah, that's the last thing we want .... airplanes near airports. The HORROR!!!

The notion that removing your hands from the controls even for one second will result in an unrecoverable nosedive into the earth.

"Smaller airplanes are more dangerous than larger ones." I still don't get this one. I'd rather have a forced landing at 40KT with a 700' rollout than 140KT with a 1 mile rollout.

The question I always get relates to the flight plan one...... "What, you mean we can go now, anywhere?"

Even my neighbor who I had been discussing flying with, thought I had to schedule a departure and fly a flight plan. He was surprised that we could just "fly around" and drop into airports for a visit.
As much as we complain about regulations and restrictions, any time I tell this to a non pilot I am reminded by the surprising amount of freedom we have in GA. Or maybe the surprising part is the fact that most people are surprised that we have this much freedom.

He was surprised that we could just "fly around" and drop into airports for a visit.
And that's how I found that Grandbury, TX (Southwest of Fort Worth) has a very nice airport and FBO. I really like their setup.

After the guy in Austin killed himself by hitting a building -
"He didn't have a flight plan? ALL planes should be required to have a flight plan".

I have to laugh at that one.

Do they expect the guy would file a flight plan indicating his intention to hit a building?

Back