Gene Simmon's comments on Bush

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Didja' catch Gene Simmons on Neil Cavatu's show last night? He said when walking through a nice neighborhood it would be okay to have a french poodle. But when walking through a bad neighborhood he would want a rottweiler. Carrying a french poodle through a bad neighborhood is a bad idea.

Mr. Simmons continued by saying that even though he voted for Clinton he voted for Bush because he wants a man who will be that rottweiler. He said he is still firmly behind Bush because the man doesn't care about his ratings as much as standing for what he believes, someone who won't back down. Simmons said the world is watching America, including the bad guys, and he feels secure having a man set in his convictions as his President.

Wow. An endorsement from Gene Simmons to go along with the Ted Nugent endorsement. What more could a leader of the free world hope for? :D

Last edited:
While the analogy is true, there is a problem with it. Our "rottweiler" has broken off the leash and taken off away from the bad neighborhood. Osama bin Laden is still on the loose. Bush made a promise to the American people on 9/11 that we would hunt down and punish those responsible. 5 years later, we're still waiting for results because we diverted attention to Iraq, who had nothing to do with it.

There is a major difference between being set in your convictions, and being stubborn. In my humble opinion, Bush is more of the latter.

wbarnhill said:
While the analogy is true, there is a problem with it. Our "rottweiler" has broken off the leash and taken off away from the bad neighborhood. Osama bin Laden is still on the loose. Bush made a promise to the American people on 9/11 that we would hunt down and punish those responsible. 5 years later, we're still waiting for results because we diverted attention to Iraq, who had nothing to do with it.

There is a major difference between being set in your convictions, and being stubborn. In my humble opinion, Bush is more of the latter.
Hey, I just report the news, you decide.:D

The bad guys are in Iraq and Afganistan fighting our soldiers whom are equipped, trained and volunteered to be there. I'd rather have them fighting our soldiers over there than killing innocent civilians over here.

I saw him on the replay this morning. I was kinda impressed with him. I hear what you're saying William and while he may be rancid butter, he's on our side of the bread.

Anthony said:
The bad guys are in Iraq and Afganistan fighting our soldiers whom are equipped, trained and volunteered to be there. I'd rather have them fighting our soldiers over there than killing innocent civilians over here.
Ditto. The war on terror is after all a multi front war.

Last edited:
Frank Browne said:
I saw him on the replay this morning. I was kinda impressed with him. I hear what you're saying William and while he may be rancid butter, he's on our side of the bread.

We love our analogies like Chuck loves Cat5 cable, don't we?

Anthony said:

but doesn't that assume a finite supply of bad guys? ;)

woodstock said:
but doesn't that assume a finite supply of bad guys? ;)

Or until they give up and see that pursuit of happiness does not mean dieing for Allah. Which, I agree, is a tough one, and not easy to imagine. Its not like we'll have terrorists surrendering on the Battleship Missouri signing papers. :(

Anthony said:
Or until they give up and see that pursuit of happiness does not mean dieing for Allah. Which, I agree, is a tough one, and not easy to imagine. Its not like we'll have terrorists surrendering on the Battleship Missouri signing papers. :(
Yeah, well, remember what it took to even get to the point of the signing in Tokio Bay? Until we get tough--WWII tough--on this current cultural clash there will be no capitulation.

Dropping love bombs isn't working.

Richard said:
Yeah, well, remember what it took to even get to the point of the signing in Tokio Bay? Until we get tough--WWII tough--on this current cultural clash there will be no capitulation.

Likewise, we didn't get the NVA to the signing table until Nixon let loose on Linebacker II.

Simmons ROCKS!!!

Sorry, I had a flash back to my childhood. KISS Alive! was the first album I ever bought.

DeeG said:
Simmons ROCKS!!!

Sorry, I had a flash back to my childhood. KISS Alive! was the first album I ever bought.
The Moody Blues album, Days of Future Passed, was my first. I was so proud of myself for making a killer deal. It was barely used and I paid two bits at a head shop. My mother still does not know that I ever went inside one of those places.

I still have that album plus a whole bunch of others.

wbarnhill said:
While the analogy is true, there is a problem with it. Our "rottweiler" has broken off the leash and taken off away from the bad neighborhood.
False Analogy, imho. We are still in Afghanistan and there are parts there that are still bad neighborhoods.

wbarnhill said:
Osama bin Laden is still on the loose.
In your opinion and some others. Still others like me think he is dead and has been for a couple of years now. All the other alive guys make videos and all we have is little sound bytes... Hogwash... I think he's dead and irrelevant.

wbarnhill said:
Bush made a promise to the American people on 9/11 that we would hunt down and punish those responsible. 5 years later, we're still waiting for results because we diverted attention to Iraq, who had nothing to do with it.
You see, that's where you are wrong IMHO. There are results, others just have a problem acknowledging those results in a quantitative way. We have hunted down quite a few, killed quite a few, and caught others.

wbarnhill said:
Well, according to the last election for electors to elect a President, I would say most people approved of whom the electors chose.

SCOREBOARD

Let's see now, number of major terrorist attacks in The United States of America since 9/11/01. None.

He's done a pretty good job so far in that department....
Oh yeah, in my humble opinion.

Ahoy, Henning. It looks like Soap Box is reopened so now you use those skills of posting large, colorful font. And to be sure that no one denies this truly is son of soap box allow me to add:

to the the anon who dinged me for the Gene Simmons post, why don't you come out and fight like a mouse!

Last edited:
Richard said:
Ahoy, Henning. It looks like Soap Box is reopened so now you use those skills of posting large, colorful font. And to be sure that no one denies this truly is son of soap box allow me to add:

to the the anon who dinged me for the Gene Simmons post, why don't you come out and fight like a mouse!

Ok,

Your post is listed in response to mine but you said henning?

Are you posting to me?

Sonar5 said:
Ok,

Your post is listed in response to mine but you said henning?

Are you posting to me?
No, I did not reply to you specifically. To do that I would have clicked on the QUOTE button at the lower right. I did not do that, I simply clicked on the REPLY button at the lower left.

I do not know how it looks on your screen but I suspect it is the juxtaposition of my post to yours which lead you to believe I had posted in response to you.

Which is why I asked. :)

I wasn't sure if you were posting in response to something I posted.

Sonar5 said:
Let's see now, number of major terrorist attacks in The United States of America since 9/11/01. None.
Using this logic is why we weren't prepared. You don't suppose that in discussing the possibility of terrorism prior to 9/11 someone said, well gee we haven't been attacked since '93 so we must be doing OK.

jkaduk said:
Using this logic is why we weren't prepared. You don't suppose that in discussing the possibility of terrorism prior to 9/11 someone said, well gee we haven't been attacked since '93 so we must be doing OK.
John, I guess I'll have to agree with you on that point. Maybe a better statistic would be some indication of how many attacks were discovered, disrupted or spoiled since 93?

I used to work concerts back in the day, and when KISS toured with Aerosmith, KISS's make up artist did our make up. It was fun for a while, but by the end of the night I was like WHERES MY BRILLO PAD!!!! THIS IS NASTY!!!!! Fun but nasty by the end of a hot summers night.

When you stop to think we can't win a war of artrician, because we are not willing to give anyone, and they are willing to give everybody.

We will stop this mess when they realize they will loose every mosque they think holy, then and then only, will the aribic leaders put an end to this war.

NC19143 said:
When you stop to think we can't win a war of artrician, because we are not willing to give anyone, and they are willing to give everybody.

We will stop this mess when they realize they will loose every mosque they think holy, then and then only, will the aribic leaders put an end to this war.
Right on! And it's some of our own people who make it seem like we are on the verge of crying, UNCLE! The world is watching.

NC19143 said:

Problem: Mecca and Medina are both in Saudi Arabia, and the people behind the problem don't give a rats a$$ about the mosques in Iraq. I said it right after 9/11. Target Both Mecca and Medina. Next wrong move levels both. We don't have the politcal will will to do that, so we cannot win that battle. Heck, if we'de just go Nuc/Hydrogen, we could eliminate sending over the money they fight us with. We're in a stupid mess right now. Our stubborn dependence on oil is now by choice. The technology to eliminate foreign oil is here. For less than the cost of waging a physical war, we could invest in infrastructure at home and win an economic one. There is nothing that says a battlefield needs to contain tanks and infantry. In the end, the Cold War was won by the cost of technological developement, the Ruskies couldn't keep up, Regan upped the bet, the commies blustered and bluffed, then folded. It was money, or rather their lack of it that won the cold war. The real problem we have is that we are financing the enemy. If this only sounds stupid to me, I guess I'm just stupid and our fearless leaders have everything worked out. We are taking the route of highest profit for a few, rather than the path of greatest benefit for all. Has our current administration actually ever published an energy policy for the future? Time to build 50 new Nuc plants to power the electrolysis plants which can be used to remove hydrogen and oxygen atoms in non potable or even lightly contaminated or salt water, and basically recombine these atoms through Fuel Cells and produce electricity and pure water.

We need to just bite the 5-10 year bullet, and it will be a short term hit for sure, but it will solve several practical and political problems in one sweep, and set the stage for the new century. We didn't really have a mid east problem before we started shipping over a huge chunk of our (and the rest of the world's) GDP. We've got to put an end to it, and it has to be a complete shift of the base away from all this hydrocarbon based fossil fuels. Why wait? It makes no sense to delay at all.

Henning said:
Problem: Mecca and Medina are both in Saudi Arabia, and the people behind the problem don't give a rats a$$ about the mosques in Iraq. I said it right after 9/11. Target Both Mecca and Medina. Next wrong move levels both. We don't have the politcal will will to do that, so we cannot win that battle. Heck, if we'de just go Nuc/Hydrogen, we could eliminate sending over the money they fight us with. We're in a stupid mess right now. Our stubborn dependence on oil is now by choice. The technology to eliminate foreign oil is here. For less than the cost of waging a physical war, we could invest in infrastructure at home and win an economic one. There is nothing that says a battlefield needs to contain tanks and infantry. In the end, the Cold War was won by the cost of technological developement, the Ruskies couldn't keep up, Regan upped the bet, the commies blustered and bluffed, then folded. It was money, or rather their lack of it that won the cold war. The real problem we have is that we are financing the enemy. If this only sounds stupid to me, I guess I'm just stupid and our fearless leaders have everything worked out. We are taking the route of highest profit for a few, rather than the path of greatest benefit for all. Has our current administration actually ever published an energy policy for the future? Time to build 50 new Nuc plants to power the electrolysis plants which can be used to remove hydrogen and oxygen atoms in non potable or even lightly contaminated or salt water, and basically recombine these atoms through Fuel Cells and produce electricity and pure water.

We need to just bite the 5-10 year bullet, and it will be a short term hit for sure, but it will solve several practical and political problems in one sweep, and set the stage for the new century. We didn't really have a mid east problem before we started shipping over a huge chunk of our (and the rest of the world's) GDP. We've got to put an end to it, and it has to be a complete shift of the base away from all this hydrocarbon based fossil fuels. Why wait? It makes no sense to delay at all.

well said Henning.

Henning, if I may rephrase that for you; it was their wrong distribution of money which lost the cold war for them. Gross and perpetual inefficiencies did them in.

And yes, we did have a ME problem well before oil was discovered there. But we could and did ignore it because they didn't register on our financial scope. Which is ironic because the history of the region includes highly developed trade before we were even a nation, therefore we never registered on their financial scope. Round and round she goes, where she stops nobody knows.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Henning, if I may rephrase that for you; it was their wrong distribution of money which lost the cold war for them. Gross and perpetual inefficiencies did them in.

True, that and more actually. It didn't work for many reasons, Karl Marx's missunderstanding of human nature was another biggie. In the end it basically came down to; they went broke. If we quit using oil, our current enemy will go broke as well. But as to the actual "Cold War" it was the inability to keep spending on the big ticket lasar & SDI stuff that caused them to fold to the West externally.

Last edited:
Richard said:
And yes, we did have a ME problem well before oil was discovered there But we could and did ignore it because they didn't register on our financial scope..

See, no problem:D

Richard said:
Which is ironic because the history of the region includes highly developed trade before we were even a nation, therefore we never registered on their financial scope. Round and round she goes, where she stops nobody knows.

The days of it being a highly developed trading center are long gone, as you say, before we were a nation. I am speaking of modern day. The heyday of Islam has been left long behind.

Henning said:
True, that and more actually. It didn't work for many reasons, Karl Marx's missunderstanding of human nature was another biggie. In the end it basically came down to; they went broke. If we quit using oil, our current enemy will go broke as well.
I think we're chatting in real time, like ICQ.

Nah, we can still use oil, just not their oil. We got enough. But whether you agree with that or not the bigger picture is what we're talking here is a new brand of isolationism. I believe a large part of why we give our enemies our dollars is in order to keep trade open because we realize it is that trade which drives the engine. Any mention of a trade balance (or imbalance) is not germaine to what I'm saying. What I'm saying is the current economic model is we use currency as a motivator for countries to form alliances. But not all countries subscribe to that model because--well, for many reasons--but one big reason is because the model tends to want to dominate all cultural, religious, and political identities. That is basically why I was so upset when Clinton said it was all about the economy, stupid.

It never was or is all about the economy.

Henning said:
The days of it being a highly developed trading center are long gone, as you say, before we were a nation. I am speaking of modern day. The heyday of Islam has been left long behind.
Yes, long gone, as you say. But I mentioned it because they who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. So often do people operate under the near sighted short term paradigm.

Richard said:
I think we're chatting in real time, like ICQ.

Nah, we can still use oil, just not their oil. We got enough. But whether you agree with that or not the bigger picture is what we're talking here is a new brand of isolationism. I believe a large part of why we give our enemies our dollars is in order to keep trade open because we realize it is that trade which drives the engine. Any mention of a trade balance (or imbalance) is not germaine to what I'm saying. What I'm saying is the current economic model is we use currency as a motivator for countries to form alliances. But not all countries subscribe to that model because--well, for many reasons--but one big reason is because the model tends to want to dominate all cultural, religious, and political identities. That is basically why I was so upset when Clinton said it was all about the economy, stupid.

It never was or is all about the economy.

First off, We don't have enough oil, not for long. Without radical energy change we have no chance of winning. Besides all these other issues, it's ecologically the correct path. You can clean the air and water while you produce energy, or you can polute it. Remember, population is climbing quickly and shows no sign of stopping, and China and India will come into full consumption in the next decade.

It wouldn't be isolationism, it would be exclusion. If you're gonna play purse string politics, you gotta close the purse sometimes. Sometimes you just have to turn your back, f'em. If they turn around and come after ya, it's time to do some smiting.

The whole thing is revolution has to come from within. This whole running revolutions path of world politics over the years has not really served us as a nation very well. It has most definitely benefitted many large U.S. companies and thereby contributed into the economy and such, but over all on a world stage, it has and still is biting us in the collective a$$. Our last 50 years foriegn policy would make the founding fathers wretch. As you said, current policy is built on incorrect models.

Henning said:
First off, We don't have enough oil, not for long. Without radical energy change we have no chance of winning. Besides all these other issues, it's ecologically the correct path. You can clean the air and water while you produce energy, or you can polute it. Remember, population is climbing quickly and shows no sign of stopping, and China and India will come into full consumption in the next decade.
I do not now or ever have subscribed to the 'chicken little' outlook. Aldous Huxley is probably the most famous of those doom & gloom prognosicators. But I not just being the contrarian, I just look to the advent of new technologies and new perspectives which have served to dispel such dire prognosis. However, from an ecological standpoint, yes, it is wise to get away from the petro burning infernal machines. It is better stewardship of our dominion.

It wouldn't be isolationism, it would be exclusion.
Thank you for the correction. The two or not the same, the latter is the most correct here.
If you're gonna play purse string politics, you gotta close the purse sometimes. Sometimes you just have to turn your back, f'em. If they turn around and come after ya, it's time to do some smiting.
I'll never understand why we do this. Well, maybe in this way I understand: like rebuilding Europe and Japan after WWII because it is the most right thing to do; to be humane. Our largess has been and continues to be unequaled. Many have said this is cultural imperialism. But now I'm confusing our humane caring with tenents of capitalism. The two can be one and the same but is subjected to so much criticism that the altruism is submerged beneath rampant and repeated charges of a contrived desire to dominate that the whole thing just leaves a bad taste. At best, we are confused as to what the original purpose was and we find it hard to stop trying to 'prove' ourselves.

I've gotten too esoteric, anyway it is aside from the topic of this discussion.

"Purse string politics" is an apt descriptor. The problem I have with such policy is three fold. One, we have the purse, therefore, lesser nations (in the economic sense) do not have the ability to say when enough is enough (nor are they so inclined to say); two, it devalues other equally important elements of the societies of both the giver (us) and the recipient. The latter is actually a valid arguement that such "purse string politics" are NOT cultural imperialism.

To illustrate this devaluation picture the difference between our govt policy and a missionary organization. Both give to those in need but the former is more sterile to the needsof the recipient while the latter gives in a more wholistic fashion which addressess much more of their needs. As it should be because govt should not be in the position of providing for one's needs. Marx tried that.

The third part of the problem I have with how our govt gives is that it does so indiscrimately. On the face, that is a good thing, but when the result is giving stinger missles to those who are likely to be our enemy then I wish the turkeys inside the beltway would be a lot more discriminating. But it is not just idle wishful thinking. People actually die or have their lives severly disrupted because our govt somewhere down the line made a decision... Sometimes, those people are Americans and I find that very bitter that our govt has aided in the deaths of Americans.
The whole thing is revolution has to come from within. This whole running revolutions path of world politics over the years has not really served us as a nation very well.
Not sure what you mean.
It has most definitely benefitted many large U.S. companies and thereby contributed into the economy and such, but over all on a world stage, it has and still is biting us in the collective a$$. Our last 50 years foriegn policy would make the founding fathers wretch. As you said, current policy is built on incorrect models.
Money does funny things to people. That is a platitude but it is also an adequate euphemism which describes how people will do anything for short term gain--even kill other people.

What I would like to see is for our govt to get out of the propping up business, whether it be people, countires, or airlines. There are many NGOs which can and do do a better job. And because they do not deal in missles or money the path to a long lasting agreement between various cultures will be that much shorter.

But when someone takes up arms against us then all bets are off. "Takes up arms" is all inclusive; it isn't confined to armaments, it could be cultural or political too. Then our govt steps up to protect.

HPNFlyGirl said:
I used to work concerts back in the day, and when KISS toured with Aerosmith, KISS's make up artist did our make up. It was fun for a while, but by the end of the night I was like WHERES MY BRILLO PAD!!!! THIS IS NASTY!!!!! Fun but nasty by the end of a hot summers night.
Ok, I gotta see pictures to believe this one! :D

Back