Gee, what does this handle do...?

colomtnflyer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
iAM in AK!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ly-activates-ejector-seat---and-survives.html

"Plane passenger accidentally activates ejector seat - and survives"

"A civilian passenger in an air force display plane accidentally activated the ejector seat while reaching for something to steady himself during a mid-air manoeuvre."

"The novice flier instantly shot through the jet's perspex canopy and was blasted 100 metres into the sky by the rocket-powered emergency chair."

Now this guy knows how to have a good time! hahahahaha

Wonder what kind of bill they're going to slap the passenger with. :yikes:

I imagine a pair of solid fuel rockets would do a considerable amount of damage to the rear cockpit...

Trapper John

Then there's the cost of the canopy and the seat. Given the high cost of military toilet seats and hammers I'd bet the total bill in this incident would be well over a million bucks.

I would hope that he did survive, considering the purpose of an ejection seat.

Sounds like a really bad pre-flight briefing may have taken place. Like maybe the words "don't pull this handle unless...." was left out of it.

My it 'smells funny' bone is itching... There is more to this story than he accidentally reached down and pulled the eject bar...

denny-o

Sounds like a really bad pre-flight briefing may have taken place. Like maybe the words "don't pull this handle unless...." was left out of it.

Yeah, I'd always thought that anytime anyone got one of those rides, there was at LEASE a nice minute dedicated to the phrase "DO NOT TOUCH THIS."

Yeah, I'd always thought that anytime anyone got one of those rides, there was at LEASE a nice minute dedicated to the phrase "DO NOT TOUCH THIS."

They need an interlock safety switch--passenger's chair doesn't arm unless the front seater pulls his!

They need an interlock safety switch--passenger's chair doesn't arm unless the front seater pulls his!
And if a turkey buzzard comes through the windscreen and incapacitates the front seater? Yeah, that's happened -- Bardenas Reales bombing range in Spain, F-4 out of the 86th Wing at Ramstein, mid-80's; low-level route in Idaho, RF-4C out of the Idaho ANG at Boise, late 70's.

Last edited:
And if a turkey buzzard comes through the windscreen and incapacitates the front seater? Yeah, that's happened -- Bardenas Reales bombing range in Spain, F-4 out of the 86th Wing at Ramstein, mid-80's; low-level route in Idaho, RF-4C out of the Idaho ANG at Boise, late 70's.

OK, you win. But maybe your screams would wake him up. ;)

I'm really just okay with the usual setup. They tell you not to touch it, and if you do, you get the bill for replacement of all the necessary parts. Simple :D

Back