Gear Up - 1962 BEECH 95-A55 Beech Baro

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
A 1962 BEECH 95-A55 Beech Baron landed gear up in Ocean City, MD (KOXB) on Thursday 5/13.
CB1BFBCD-FE5B-4FC0-89CF-04A89D0C689A.jpeg

A few pics from today.... Sad to see this plane in this condition. I think a rolloff was used instead of a rotator with straps. This is where my Debonair sat following our catastrophic engine failure at three hundred feet. They used a flatbed then too.

C9144B12-F483-4E6C-BE3F-31AB17F5CE39.jpeg

2CD59AB8-1B45-414C-87FC-1BD715DB6F7C.jpeg

Last edited:
Saw a twin in much the same condition on the ramp today. But the gear was down with a flat nose wheel.

Didn’t have the heart to take any pics. :oops:

Saw a twin in much the same condition on the ramp today. But the gear was down with a flat nose wheel.
Didn’t have the heart to take any pics. :oops:

I was heartbreaking to see this plane sitting there, and thinking about the long road this owner is going to have to go to get her back in the air. Brought back memories of my Deb sitting there on her belly, who was totaled.

Bummer, could easily add up to "totaled" as far as insurance is concerned.

A few pics from today.... Sad to see this plane in this condition. I think a rolloff was used instead of a rotator with straps. This is where my Debonair sat following our catastrophic engine failure at three hundred feet. They used a flatbed then too.

Why wouldn't they have just lifted it and put it on its wheels? Gear up landings on pavement are not catastrophic, and are usually easily repaired. New props, new or OH engine, a little sheet metal and off you go. If I ever gear up, I'm not letting some tow truck guy hook to my airplane.

1962 airframe? Maybe it will fly again, seems 1st it will be ‘totaled’ by insurance company.

Photo looks like the blade either sheared the pin, or the adjustment gearing.

Often, rather than take the extra time to get the proper equipment called in, it’s drag it out of the way and get the area back open asap and to heck with the owner’s wishes.

Photo looks like the blade either sheared the pin, or the adjustment gearing.
Often, rather than take the extra time to get the proper equipment called in, it’s drag it out of the way and get the area back open asap and to heck with the owner’s wishes.

The airport really needs to have a company on call with a rotator in the fleet to strap and lift the aircraft then drop the gear and tug off the runway, if possible.

Heartbreaking for several reasons -- it happened, the airframe was likely destroyed after the gear up, the GA fleet decreased.

Back