GDL88 and 330ES

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I am getting conflicting information. I am considering installing a GDL88 and 330ES (I have a 330 right now). One shop says that I will disable the OUT on the GDL88 and use only the out on the 330ES.

A different shop says that both GDL88 and 330ES will provide out simultaneously.

Anyone know which one is true?

I am thinking of the 330ES because I intend to fly to Central America and outside the USA, ES seems to be the way things are going.

It is recommended to disable one of the ADS-B Out devices. From AC 20-165a:

3-2. ADS-B Equipment.
b. Installation guidance.
(1) UAT systems with Mode S transponders. Do not install a UAT ADS-B OUT system which has the capability to transmit a random 24-bit address in an aircraft which also has a Mode S transponder unless the random 24-bit feature is disabled. The ATC automation system
would interpret the different 24-bit addresses as two separate aircraft, and alert controllers to a conflict that does not actually exist.

And…

(4) Multiple ADS-B OUT systems. If the aircraft has the ability to operate a 1090ES
and a UAT ADS-B OUT system at the same time, the systems must have a single point of entry for the emergency code, IDENT, and Mode 3/A code. Neither system may use a random address feature. If dual ADS-B OUT systems of the same link are installed (e.g., to increase dispatch reliability), the installation must preclude operation of both systems simultaneously.

Note: 1: We recommend that you do not install both 1090ES and UAT ADS-B OUT
capability on the same aircraft.

Note: 2: Installation of dual 1090ES and UAT ADS-B IN capability is acceptable and encouraged.

Why? Why would you install both systems? Are you in the flight levels? If you are below FL18 all you need is the GDL.

I am getting conflicting information. I am considering installing a GDL88 and 330ES (I have a 330 right now). One shop says that I will disable the OUT on the GDL88 and use only the out on the 330ES.

A different shop says that both GDL88 and 330ES will provide out simultaneously.

I am thinking of the 330ES because I intend to fly to Central America and outside the USA, ES seems to be the way things are going.

What Central American country has any intention of using ADS-B and if so, mandating its use?

The simple fix ,if you have a wass GPS ,is to install the 330 es. The 330 is upgradable to the Es. Garmin is trying to push the GDL 88. I installed a 330 es in place of the 327. Everything is working fine,and I'm in compliance.

The simple fix ,if you have a wass GPS ,is to install the 330 es. The 330 is upgradable to the Es. Garmin is trying to push the GDL 88. I installed a 330 es in place of the 327. Everything is working fine,and I'm in compliance.

That's all you get, compliance. Had you gone the GDL88 route, you would have gotten compliance, weather, and traffic and anonymous mode. Similar price.

With the 330 Es I get traffic on the 430,530 ,already have weather on the I pad foreflight.

Why? Why would you install both systems? Are you in the flight levels? If you are below FL18 all you need is the GDL.

I plan to fly my plane to Central and South America where it seems that the ES standard will prevail over the 978MHz. According to my research, Mexico will likely go ES.

Last edited:
I have the 330ES and a GLD39. The 330ES feeds traffic to the 430, and I get weather and traffic on my tablet running Pilot. Works very well.

Looks to me like you can run both with ADS-B out enabled.

If I were you I'd get some quotes to trade in the 330ES for the 345, I honestly don't see how pulling the interior, running wiring to the trailcone, installing yet another antenna, and mounting the remote GDL88 is economical compared to swapping panel mounted units.

upload_2018-9-21_10-26-37.png
upload_2018-9-21_10-27-27.png

Last edited:
Because I already have a GDL88 and 330. I am considering upgrading the 330 to a 330ES and keeping the GDL 88 for my IN solution.

As of 2020, Mexico. At least in Class A, B, C & E above 10,000'.

I haven't found any B or C in Mexico, can you point out where it is? Class A begins at 19500. E excludes airspace 2500 AGL. So for any trip I would have taken in the past, it would not have been an issue.

Back