GDL88/1090ES

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I used to have only a GDL88 that did 978 out and 1090/978 in.

I added a 330ES so I could have 1090 OUT. My shop disabled the 978 OUT but when I run my report with the FAA it says I have 1090 OUT and UAT (978) IN.

I assume I actually have DUAL (1090/978) IN. How would they know what sort of IN capability I have?

I guess now the FAA says it is ok to have DUAL out so next time I have the airplane at the shop I might have them turn the UAT out back on. The previous FAA circular recommended only having one OUT transmitter.

Last edited:
:idea:

I understand having more than one pistol, but why on earth are you doing two ADSB installs?

your 330ES has a setting for what other equipment you have....it's transmitted in your 330ES 1090 data stream so they know what other info to transmit in your "puck".

Yeah - someone on Beechtalk mentioned that and I found this:

https://support.foreflight.com/hc/e...30-to-enable-ADS-B-traffic-within-ForeFlight-

I'm guessing that 1090 IN on my 330ES is set to NO and I just need to change it to YES.

I had a GDL88 originally, but now in 2020 Mexico is going to require 1090 out above 10,000' and I'd like to be able to fly there, so I needed to put in 1090 out via the 330ES.
I just went thru this on my 330ES install.....there is both 1090 and UAT settings for yes and no. It prevents duplication on your "in" display.

Yeah - from what I am reading, having mine set to 1090-IN: NO & UAT-IN: YES will cause the ground stations to convert 1090 traffic to 978 and rebroadcast it to me. But my GDL88 will already be receiving 1090 so I'll see 1090 traffic twice.

Does that sound right?

Changing this setting in the 330ES seems fairly simple to do myself.

I had a GDL88 originally, but now in 2020 Mexico is going to require 1090 out above 10,000' and I'd like to be able to fly there, so I needed to put in 1090 out via the 330ES.

There isn't yet a rule in Mexico. I read a proposed rule, but it is just the US rule with UAT removed. AOPA copied the proposed rule, but it makes no sense for Mexico, they don't use C, B, or E airspace. Below 19500, most of the airspace is G. There is no way that Mexico is ready to issue an ADS-B Out requirement for one year from now. At some point, it is likely there will be a rule, but then there will be time to equip. The US had 10 years, 9 of which have passed. I have a recent copy of the Mexican AIP and it makes no mention of ADS-B Out. So if ADS-B Out comes to Mexico, it will be of the 1090ES variety, but it is not yet clear if it will affect general aviation. So far, without a rule or even a proposed rule in place, it is not imminent and Mexican pilots are unaware. The actual details of any equipage will matter. I have been attempting to get an advance copy of their actual plan, but so far no luck.

Back