GDL 39 Aditional Battery

Diegocuervo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Captain D.
Hello,

I recently acquired a GDL 39. Unfortunately, the plane I'm flying doesn't have a cigarette adapter receptacle, so I can't plug it in to use it. I've been unable to locate the optional battery, which I heard has been discontinued. Can you recommend or provide alternatives for portable batteries that can fulfill the same purpose and charge it?

I'm curious, if I purchase a cigarette adapter to USB and connect the cigarette lighter to the USB adapter to one of these (portable batteries),

Which one would effectively continue charging while using the GDL 39?

Plenty aftermarket batteries come up on Amazon when searching "gdl39 battery".
If you're asking about usb to cigarette lighter adapter, be aware that many of those cause rfi noise in radios.
Welcome to POA.

Last edited:
Plenty aftermarket batteries come up on Amazon when searching "gdl39 battery".
If you're asking about usb to cigarette lighter adapter, be aware that many of those cause rfi noise in radios.
Welcome to POA.
Could you possibly share a link to a portable battery that meets the battery requirements of the GDL 39 for charging?

I must have gotten one of the last remaining GDL-39 batteries in 2021, for the low price of $100.

If I had to do it now, I'd probably just wire up an 18650 battery holder to a cig outlet and be done for under $10.

One could also get the connector and wire it directly, but that sounds like work:

Last edited:
I'm considering purchasing this portable charger, which I can directly connect to the cigarette lighter included with the GDL 39. This way, I can use it while flying and draw power from there. However, I'm concerned that this device only has a capacity of 7800mAh, which seems low. Nevertheless, it does provide a constant 12V to CC, which I believe is what Garmin recommends. Does anyone have any insights on this?

Attachments

• IMG_9547.jpeg
    IMG_9547.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 5
I think you'll have to access the GDL 39 and swap out its internal battery. However, it won't function unless it's connected to a cigarette receptacle in the plane. Since my aircraft lacks such a receptacle or a USB port, my only solution is to acquire a portable battery to operate the GDL 39 inflight.

I'm considering purchasing this portable charger, which I can directly connect to the cigarette lighter included with the GDL 39. This way, I can use it while flying and draw power from there. However, I'm concerned that this device only has a capacity of 7800mAh, which seems low. Nevertheless, it does provide a constant 12V to CC, which I believe is what Garmin recommends. Does anyone have any insights on this?
That looks very heavy. The GDL-39 battery is 7.4V / 2100mAh; two lithium cells.

That looks very heavy. The GDL-39 battery is 7.4V / 2100mAh; two lithium cells.
So, this one seems suitable since it has a capacity of 38800mAh, ensuring ample power for the GDL 39 for an extended period. I'll also purchase a Cigarette lighter to USB Adapter to make it compatible.

Attachments

• IMG_9548.jpeg
    IMG_9548.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 2
So, this one seems suitable since it has a capacity of 38800mAh, ensuring ample power for the GDL 39 for an extended period. I'll also purchase a Cigarette lighter to USB Adapter to make it compatible.

This one has a high 38800mAh , but the voltage is low at only 5V/2.1A through the USB, which might not be sufficient to power the GDL 39. Am I mistaken? I wish I had known about this earlier.

Just to clarify, then, this portable battery of 38800mAh should be sufficient to provide power inflight and use the GDL 39? If I buy a cigarette lighter to USB adapter to make it compatible, am I good to go?

Just to clarify, then, this portable battery of 38800mAh should be sufficient to provide power inflight and use the GDL 39? If I buy a cigarette lighter to USB adapter to make it compatible, am I good to go?
There is no such thing as USB to 12 volts. There are several battery packs that also have a 12v output. You'll have to do a small bit of wiring as most don't have a cig lighter plug, but not a big deal to do.

Could always buy a Jackery, if you want something multipurpose. I use one with a solar panel at Oshkosh to run a fan and charge everything.

51TFzu+uFVS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is the one all pilots got from their company as a backup to their iPad.

I stand corrected. I'll just get a battery with a 12v output though, like this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01337QXMA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I stand corrected. I'll just get a battery with a 12v output though, like this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01337QXMA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
In order for me to use this device, I'll require an adapter like this for the CC port, allowing me to connect the GDL 39's default cigarette lighter to the 12V CC port for power. I'm curious if its 8300mAh capacity will have any impact?

Attachments

• IMG_9557.jpeg
    IMG_9557.jpeg
    515.1 KB · Views: 0

Attachments

• IMG_9558.jpeg
    IMG_9558.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 1
Back