GATS Jar

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
The GATS jar I bought a few months ago isn't doing too well... Whenever I pour the fuel back into the fuel tank, some fuel leaks out of the area between the jar and the top that screws on it.

I unscrewed the top and carefully screwed it back on and noticed when I tighten the top onto the jar, the O-ring pulls inward slightly, eliminating the seal on one side of the jar. Do I need a new O-ring or a new GATS jar?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason, from what you describe, and what I understand, it sounds like replacing the "O" ring will fix your problem. I've had many "O" ring failures on several applications.

The GATS jar I bought a few months ago isn't doing too well... Whenever I pour the fuel back into the fuel tank, some fuel leaks out of the area between the jar and the top that screws on it.

I unscrewed the top and carefully screwed it back on and noticed when I tighten the top onto the jar, the O-ring pulls inward slightly, eliminating the seal on one side of the jar. Do I need a new O-ring or a new GATS jar?

Sometimes all it takes to get a good seal on an O-ring like this is to add a little lubrication. A very light coating of engine oil or grease would probably suffice.

Jason,

The O-ring on the Jar sucks what I did to fix it was put a small amount of supper glue around the lid to hold the O-Ring in place. Don’t tighten the lid to tight. Never had a problem since.

Bob

Certainly! I just changed my embouchure a few months ago after years of playing a certain way, so I'm still trying to adjust and build up those lip muscles.

What does everyone else here play?

I played trombone for about 6 weeks in 5th grade.. Then I came to the conclusion that being in band wasn't "cool" so I ditched it... dumb dumb dumb dumb!!

Trombone and tuba in Jr and Sr High, drum and bugle corp I played what most would call a baritone but it was a little different i.e. one piston valve and one rotatory valve. But now I am learning banjo!!

Trombone and tuba in Jr and Sr High, drum and bugle corp I played what most would call a baritone but it was a little different i.e. one piston valve and one rotatory valve. But now I am learning banjo!!

Holy cow, small world! Scott, where'd ya march? Madison Scouts 1991-1996 Baritone here. :yes: Also Jr. Scouts in 1990, and the Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion corps in 2006. :) My first full camp at Scouts was when we got the first three-valve horns. Valve-rotor would put you in the 70's or early 80's eh?

My main non-drum corps brass instrument is Euphonium, often but incorrectly called a Baritone in the US. (I have only ever seen three actual baritones on this side of the pond, though they're quite popular in the British brass bands.) The difference? Euphonium is conical bore, Baritone is cylindrical.

My dad is also a Euphonium player, and played in a German polka band run by one of his colleagues. One of the things they played was Lassus Trombone, and I always got a kick out of the wonderful glissandos. So, I started on Trombone in 5th grade. Middle school, I switched to drums (tryin' to be "cool" ya know) and when I got to high school there were too many drummers. I knew the valve combinations and how they related to the trombone slide positions thanks to my dad, and the band director said I could play either trombone or euph, but if I played trombone I'd need my own horn. So, I switched to euph and used my dad's horn. It also just so happened that I sat next to the guy who was the drum major for the Junior Scouts that year, and he took me to a rehearsal one day, and thus began a life-changing journey. But I'll spare y'all the rest of the story. ;)

Bassoon in concert band and orchestra, alto Sax in marching band. Oh, that was a long time ago.

Son played tenor Sax and daughter flute and piccolo. High school band in California was big on field show competition, as was daughter's high school in Oregon.

Anyone who feels music programs are a waste in school doesn't have a clue. But, I'm biased. I met my wife in high school band.

Trombone Player here myself. Played through high school, and in the UW Madison Marching Band. Still play the odd alumni band gig for "beverages" from time to time.

Pete

Trombone 5th grade thru college and on the side, unofficial collateral duty in the Navy (got out of standing thru a lot of ceremonies while sitting with the band). Dabbled with baritone and tuba as a fill-in when needed. Marched in a Vikings halftime show with South Dakota State University marching band.

Evenings were loud at our house ... me on trombone, sister on trumpet, sister on french horn, brother on tuba, mom on guitar... and dad on aspirin and earplugs

Sorry for the hijack ... someone change the squawk ...

Last edited:
Trumpet ... until I graduated High School at least. Sat first chair for 4 years, but I probably couldn't play a note now if my life depended on it. :(

French Horn until high school. Then... hookey!

Trumpet from 2nd through 6th grades then French Horn through high school. After lugging the heavy horn for six years I wished I'd stayed with the trumpet.

A few years ago I tried to play a horn (haven't touched one since high school) and could hardly get out a note. Made my lips (and nearby ears) hurt too.

Back