Gaston's White River Fly-In

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Hey everybody. I know most of you already know about this and lots of you have already signed up and put your pictures on the web site at:

http://www.eaa732.org/aopa/

For the benefit of the newcomers here I thought I would mention our fly-in again. Also invited are folks from the AOPA WebBoard and the Citabria forum, and a local EAA Chapter from Arkansas, and anybody else who might be interested. Y'all come! :)

As it gets closer to the event in June I'll start collecting numbers from people so I can coordinate with Gaston's to get us all seated together for the Sunday brunch and also for the evening meals on Friday night and Saturday night for those of you who want to eat together.

Toby, Tom, and I would like to make our cottage "Party Central" for anybody who wants to hang out when we aren't flying, judging landings, swimming, boating, walking the nature trails, etc.

Anybody who wants to post pictures from last year's gathering would be welcome to post here in the thread. We had a bunch of our pictures on another web site but it expired. Here's my flight path to Gaston's for the trip down and a few pictures.
:)

Last edited:
Wow, thats not as far as I first thought. Is anyone who otherwise might not go, on my route (or close by) want to tag along? Im not sure I want to make the trek alone.....

Michael

Last edited:
Michael said:
Wow, thats not as far as I first thought. Is anyone who otherwise might not go, on my route (or close by) want to tag along? Im not sure I want to make the trek alone.....

Michael
Michael, that's a neat map. What program did you use to make it?

Diana, Thanks. Fixed the Arrival Airport.LOL
That was Golden Eagle Flight Planner.

Michael :dance:

Here are a few more pictures from the AOPA fly-in last year.

Scott took the picture of Lance getting a ride with me in the Citabria and had a very nice caption for it, too. What was it you thought Lance was saying Scott? ;)

Michael said:

Michael

Well... I might actually want to ride along with ya, if you're still looking. I am in Albuquerque, and I think this could be fun. I'll have to check on vacation time from work tho, but I definitely think this would be fun.

NickDBrennan said:
Well... I might actually want to ride along with ya, if you're still looking. I am in Albuquerque, and I think this could be fun. I'll have to check on vacation time from work tho, but I definitely think this would be fun.

Mark B is trying to get down this way and take the trip with me to Gastons, We would be stopping in Albuquerque for fuel anyways, and have room for one more :) Get your plans together and hop on board, we can take turns at the controlls. :) Or you and mark can while I sleep :p

Michael said:
Mark B is trying to get down this way and take the trip with me to Gastons, We would be stopping in Albuquerque for fuel anyways, and have room for one more :) Get your plans together and hop on board, we can take turns at the controlls. :) Or you and mark can while I sleep :p

Cool - I'm kind of a big boy - what kinda plane you coming in?

Brian Austin said:
Any fish in that little body of water? :D

There's some still left, but you'd better hurry. This is a photo of one of my business partners taken late last week.

Chip

gibbons said:
This is a photo of one of my business partners taken late last week.
Chip
He looks a lot happier than the fish (who appears to be sticking it's tongue out).
;)

For those of you are flying into Gaston's and haven't been there before, I thought I would post a picture of the windsock. Don't bother trying to find it when coming in to land. ;)

I am getting real excited about Gastons. I am about 90% sure i will be there. Hope the weather is good. It will be a good birthday present!!! We are just going down Sunday morning, and then making the flight back after brunch. I dont know if we will be flying the Cherokee 140 or the Cessna 182, kinda depends on who goes.

Lookin forward to meeting some of the people on here!!

Rudy said:
I am getting real excited about Gastons. I am about 90% sure i will be there. Hope the weather is good. It will be a good birthday present!!! We are just going down Sunday morning, and then making the flight back after brunch. I dont know if we will be flying the Cherokee 140 or the Cessna 182, kinda depends on who goes.

Can't beat the 182 for performance on grass with a place like Gaston's after a big meal. :)

Rudy said:
Lookin forward to meeting some of the people on here!!

Rudy, you will love meeting all these folks.
:)

NickDBrennan said:
Cool - I'm kind of a big boy - what kinda plane you coming in?

We will be in my Mooney. Leaving Friday and returning Sunday. Just pack light, and we will be fine. The mooney has a pretty big usefull load for type. We can always adjust fuel for weight if needed and make an extra stop :)
Shoot me an email if you think you can get the days off, and we will start making plans. :dance:

Is anyone flying from the east coast?
I don't own a plane, and I don't think I can afford to rent one for that kind of trip.
Alternatives involve airfare. I'm still thinking about it, though.

--Kath

I've already got my plane booked for that weekend. Crossing my fingers on the weather this year.

Diana said:
For those of you are flying into Gaston's and haven't been there before, I thought I would post a picture of the windsock. Don't bother trying to find it when coming in to land. ;)

One way in, one way out.

"We don' need no stinking windsock"....

AS always, Gaston's is a weather permitting/ coverage permitting sort of thing. I did enjoy last year but it's always too short....IN, and OUT. Sigh.

Anyone want to split a deluxe or ultra deluxe cottage with Fran and me? Arriving Friday, depart Sunday. Email response off line.

Ron Levy said:
Anyone want to split a deluxe or ultra deluxe cottage with Fran and me? Arriving Friday, depart Sunday. Email response off line.

i was sposed to call today for my reservations, but didnt get time. How many rooms are they Ron? I wil be traveling with Mark and Nick.
If there is enough room, I would definately go in on one.

Michael said:
i was sposed to call today for my reservations, but didnt get time. How many rooms are they Ron? I wil be traveling with Mark and Nick.
If there is enough room, I would definately go in on one.
Deluxe Cottage: $126.00 - Two private bedrooms (One double bed in one, two single beds in the other), Living room, Kitchen, Bath, Fireplace

Deluxe Cottage: $138.00 - Two private bedrooms (Two double beds in one, two single beds in the other), Living room, Kitchen, Bath, Fireplace

Ultra Deluxe Cottage: $165.00 - Two private bedrooms (Two double beds in each room), Two full baths, Living room, Kitchen, Fireplace

Sleeping five is not an absolute certainty as the second bed in our room is already spoken (well, woofed) for. However, if you don't want to share the second bed in the second room with Mark and/or Nick (maybe that's a question to which I neither want nor need the answer), it appears that the living room is sleepable for one.

Ron Levy said:

If you don't get any takers for the whole weekend, I'll gladly take you up for Friday night. I already have a room in the motel for Saturday, but I've decided to come in Friday afternoon. Let me know before I call Gastons to inquire about a room Friday night.

Thanks,

Bill Jennings said:
I already have a room in the motel for Saturday, but I've decided to come in Friday afternoon.Thanks,
Bill is taking Ken's advice to get there early to avoid the judging. :D

We've got quite a few planes coming from the MN/WI/IL area. Lance, Kent, Hammer, Barry and Bruce.... at least.

We should make us a convoy or sumthin'.

Do y'all have rooms booked and which days are you coming? Aside from grabbing Hammer, I haven't done a thing.

gibbons said:
Friday afternoon is too late. The judges will be there before anyone else.

Moxie said:
We've got quite a few planes coming from the MN/WI/IL area. Lance, Kent, Hammer, Barry and Bruce.... at least.

We should make us a convoy or sumthin'.

Do y'all have rooms booked and which days are you coming? Aside from grabbing Hammer, I haven't done a thing.

My current plan is to fly down early Sunday morning. Scott Pearson is flying to FCM Friday or Saturday and then going with me. If he's OK with going Sat. afternoon I might go then.

Moxie said:
All I've done is marked my calendar. With nearly 700 nm, a VFR airplane and a family relocation in the works, I dare not do more. I may end up sleeping in the airplane and bathing in the river!

Bill Jennings said:
If you don't get any takers for the whole weekend, I'll gladly take you up for Friday night. I already have a room in the motel for Saturday, but I've decided to come in Friday afternoon. Let me know before I call Gastons to inquire about a room Friday night.

Sorry, Bill - already made a deal with Michael Driggs for both nights.

Ron Levy said:
Sorry, Bill - already made a deal with Michael Driggs for both nights.

No problem, I'll just join Ken in the river.

gibbons said:

Ah, but unless the judges set up an outpost at BPK, you won't get a chance to see me plop down. (stinkin' club insurance)

Is that the Super-D you've been flying? Nice looking plane.

Ken Ibold said:
I may end up sleeping in the airplane and bathing in the river!

I'm bringing my new video camera for sure now! :yes:

I wish that I had heard of this when I lived in St. Louis, flying out of SUS. Now it will take a bit more planning as a 2500nm round trip from northwest MT. We'll have to plan a St. Louis visit with my inlaws in conjunction and do this next time. Have a blast!

kath said:
Is anyone flying from the east coast?

East Coast is a large expanse. I'll be flying to Gaston's from Smoketown, PA (S37; Lancaster, PA area). About 98% to "done deal" in terms of whether or not I'm able to make the trip; I hate it when the day job gets in the way.

Last edited:
Ed Guthrie said:
East Coast is a large expanse. I'll be flying to Gaston's from Smoketown, PA (S37; Lancaster, PA area). About 98% to "done deal" in terms of whether or not I'm able to make the trip; I hate it when the day job gets in the way.

I think that Toby is coming from Lon Guyland. AFaIK that's on the East Coast somewhere.

Bill Jennings said:
Is that the Super-D you've been flying? Nice looking plane.
If you were asking me, yes! It's beautiful.

Back