Gastons..what is it?

Arbiter419

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CAucker
Hello everyone,

I just noticed the countdown at the top of the page, and I've seen it mentioned quite a few times before. I've gathered enough to assume it's a fly-in type deal for you guys (and girls:rolleyes:). Where's it at? What goes on at Gastons?

Thanks.

It is a fly in where all the cool kids of PoA hang out once a year. You really cannot be a true PoAer until you have been there. Ok I am just kidding ....... a little ;)

It is a big Fly-in at the Gaston's resort. It is one of several big fly-ins that PoA people attend. This one is so big that it attracts many non-But very welcome-PoAers

It's an airport in Arkansas with a fly-in, but that's not important right now.

Come on folks, I'm the third reply, and no one had made an Airplane reference???

Seriously though check out www.gastonsflyin.com

It's fun.

So fun, it's almost dangerous.

So fun, I am getting a hangover just thinking about it...

It is also quite..................

I'll stop there.

It's a resort in northcentral Arkansas where a lot of us from all over meet up with our friends. This fly-in started on the AOPA Webboard in 2004. Ken Ibold wrote a nice article about it. See attached. :)

Attachments

• Gastons.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 26
Lucky for you that you list Central PA as your location. I do belive that there is still room in the Aztec leaving from KIPT on Thursday next week for Gastons.

A full TSA clearance and background is required for registration, so you will need to hurry. You can bring the required specimens along, but please pack carefully. A moderator will contact you to confirm.

Lucky for you that you list Central PA as your location. I do belive that there is still room in the Aztec leaving from KIPT on Thursday next week for Gastons.

Way to offer rides in a plane that isn't yours. :rolleyes:

More people in the plane the less my share is! :smilewinkgrin:

We've gone from 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 4 to 3 to maybe 4...

and it's one expensive plane to fuel.

More people in the plane the less my share is! :smilewinkgrin:

We've gone from 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 4 to 3 to maybe 4...

and it's one expensive plane to fuel.

Might as well pack 12 in there then!

Also, central pennsylvania means you can get to KLOM! The third weekend in May is the Wings FlyBQ. We had another great time this year, so mark it on your calendar for next year. You can see more about this fly in as well in the "Cool Places to Fly Forum".

What airport are you based out of? I'm thinking of making a run to York for breakfast in the next few weeks. Maybe we could meet up there.

:eek:

Enlighten me!

Also, central pennsylvania means you can get to KLOM! The third weekend in May is the Wings FlyBQ. We had another great time this year, so mark it on your calendar for next year. You can see more about this fly in as well in the "Cool Places to Fly Forum".

What airport are you based out of? I'm thinking of making a run to York for breakfast in the next few weeks. Maybe we could meet up there.

I at 0PS7, but fly out of Bloomsburg. Maybe I can convince my dad to go along. (Haven't soloed yet, sometime in the next few hours) But yeah, that'd be pretty cool. :D

I believe Ted's made that offer several times; since he's not chimed in on this thread yet, Missa's just relaying it. No harm or foul there in my book! Nor, knowing Ted, in his, I imagine.

Well I've recently come upon a large sum of money to be used for educational/instructional purposes, and if freed up by then, this would take care of all the cross country time I'd need for my private certificate. Closest thing to a "Fly-in" for me was a gathering of a few aircraft at Northumberland (N79) about 10 years ago that I barely remember.

Hoping for the best :D

:eek:

Enlighten me!

I at 0PS7, but fly out of Bloomsburg. Maybe I can convince my dad to go along. (Haven't soloed yet, sometime in the next few hours) But yeah, that'd be pretty cool. :D

HOLY CRAP!!! You're from Bloomsburg???? I used to live there!!!

THERE'S OUR GUY! :D:rofl::D:smilewinkgrin:

...I don't get it:redface:

But this was money trusted to another member of the family by my grandfather when he passed away...Now all that's left to do is get it. It's for secondary education, and since aviation will be my career, getting my training out of the way now is better than paying for some college to do it for me.

HOLY CRAP!!! You're from Bloomsburg???? I used to live there!!!

Well, not from Bloomsburg, but that's where I do my flying out of. I'm at 0PS7.

...I don't get it:redface:

But this was money trusted to another member of the family by my grandfather when he passed away...Now all that's left to do is get it. It's for secondary education, and since aviation will be my career, getting my training out of the way now is better than paying for some college to do it for me.

Well, not from Bloomsburg, but that's where I do my flying out of. I'm at 0PS7.

So from WHERE then...? :)

It's an airport in Arkansas with a fly-in, but that's not important right now.

Come on folks, I'm the third reply, and no one had made an Airplane reference???

Seriously though check out www.gastonsflyin.com

We won't say how we got there.
Howie got there?
No he was a no show and he came the next year.
Andy came the next yer?
No Andy has been there at Gastons every year. How he makes it is up to him.
Howie makes it?
No. Howie was a no show before but he makes now.
Buddy makes it?
Buddy tries to make it every year and he usually does.
Andy usually does?
Andy always make it. How he does it we don't know, but he always makes it.
Howie does it? Buddy always make it?
Buddy usually makes it. Howie doesn't.

Last edited:
So from WHERE then...? :)

I live in Elizabethville, a small town ~30miles to the north of Harrisburg (KCXY). We have a grass strip, probably somewhere close to 2800 ft. or so. It's about a 50 minute drive from here to the plane in Bloomsburg.

I live in Elizabethville, a small town ~30miles to the north of Harrisburg (KCXY). We have a grass strip, probably somewhere close to 2800 ft. or so. It's about a 50 minute drive from here to the plane in Bloomsburg.

You live near a grass strip and you keep your plane on pavement????? Pavement 50 miles away nonetheless????

What ARE you smokin'????

Planes love grass almost as much as I used to!

I can only think of one valid reason to do what you're doing..

is it a Grumman?????

:)

You live near a grass strip and you keep your plane on pavement????? Pavement 50 miles away nonetheless????

What ARE you smokin'????

Planes love grass almost as much as I used to!

I can only think of one valid reason to do what you're doing..

is it a Grumman?????

:)

Oh those Grummans..

But I'm only 16, and we (dad/instructor, me) rent a 150 out of Bloomsburg. Hoping to get alot of hours logged this summer.

Well, then, come to Gaston's and we can show you all kinds of grass ops.

Well, then, come to Gaston's and we can show you all kinds of grass ops.

I'd love to! I'll probably know for sure whether it's possible or not by Friday.

But yeah, I love soft field operations :D They're the best!

But crosswind soft/short field is a bit more intimidating to me...

When I was a child I lived across the street from the airport. It was all very different then...I'm an old woman...

Last year I was on my solo road trip - which you can read all about some time on the Purple Board when you are extremely bored. I drove from Jacksonville to Maine and visited all of my pilot friends along the way...Gettysburg was a pretty cool airport...have you been there??

Anyway, I went to Bloomsburg and spent the night. The next morning I poked around town then ended up at the airport for some reason:rolleyes:...sat on the bench and talked to the guys who were building a new hangar there...they showed me a bunch of planes in the main hangar building...and told me all about why they can't expand the runway into Scott Township because of Mrs. Schafer, my old neighbor...I told them not to worry...she'll die and her kids will sell the land. I rode the school bus with those kids...:smilewinkgrin:

I loved it. It's a great little airport.

There is, indeed, an Aztec (mine! :D) leaving from Williamsport (KIPT) and heading to Gaston's. We're leaving on the morning of July 11th, coming home on July 14th. If you (and your dad) want to come, we've still got room.

If you want to spend a great weekend around a bunch of my favorite people, get lots of exposure to airplanes, and just generally have tons of fun (age independent), then you ought to come.

Regardless of whether or not you come, if you live in this area, then you should come fly up to Williamsport. But if you do want to come, send me a PM. Sure, it's short notice, but it's also one awesome trip! :)

Another trip you should be aware of is 6Y9. My Aztec will be heading from Williamsport to 6Y9 for that event, which is Labor Day weekend. Another great time among a bunch of my favorite people.

I hope you're really leaving June 11th...or you are going to miss the whole thing...

There is, indeed, an Aztec (mine! :D) leaving from Williamsport (KIPT) and heading to Gaston's. We're leaving on the morning of July 11th, coming home on July 14th. If you (and your dad) want to come, we've still got room.

If you want to spend a great weekend around a bunch of my favorite people, get lots of exposure to airplanes, and just generally have tons of fun (age independent), then you ought to come.

Regardless of whether or not you come, if you live in this area, then you should come fly up to Williamsport. But if you do want to come, send me a PM. Sure, it's short notice, but it's also one awesome trip! :)

Another trip you should be aware of is 6Y9. My Aztec will be heading from Williamsport to 6Y9 for that event, which is Labor Day weekend. Another great time among a bunch of my favorite people.

Wait..Gastons is in June, correct? I'll just assume that you're as tired as I am (finals week) and that it's next Thursday (11th) to Sunday (14th). But I should know in the next few days.

And one of the next few lessons, I'll be doing some more two way radio work, so we'll head up to Williamsport, and I'll be sure to send a PM your way so we can meet up.

When I was a child I lived across the street from the airport. It was all very different then...I'm an old woman...

Last year I was on my solo road trip - which you can read all about some time on the Purple Board when you are extremely bored. I drove from Jacksonville to Maine and visited all of my pilot friends along the way...Gettysburg was a pretty cool airport...have you been there??

Anyway, I went to Bloomsburg and spent the night. The next morning I poked around town then ended up at the airport for some reason...sat on the bench and talked to the guys who were building a new hangar there...they showed me a bunch of planes in the main hangar building...and told me all about why they can't expand the runway into Scott Township because of Mrs. Schafer, my old neighbor...I told them not to worry...she'll die and her kids will sell the land. I rode the school bus with those kids...

I loved it. It's a great little airport.

Heh, I've been at Gettysburg airport once, and that was from the ground. Well, it was the one that the battlefield tours fly out of, but I'm guessing it's Gettysburg. And I think they're just about finished on that new hangar. I'm guessing you talked to Dick Sharrow? He owns a Cherokee 140 and a Piper cub that he teaches in. Really nice guy, gave us a handprop when the battery in the 150 died last time we went up.

Hmmm... wind, grass... lots of fun challenges at Gaston's!

Check out this INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL BONANZA at Gaston's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lWoAqOJl8w

WOW. THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL BONANZA. I AM AMAZED.

No really, I love Bonanzas. I will own one. I'll probably be a very old man by the time that happens though..

I hope you're really leaving June 11th...or you are going to miss the whole thing...

Oh right, wrong month. June 11th it is. :)

Wait..Gastons is in June, correct? I'll just assume that you're as tired as I am (finals week) and that it's next Thursday (11th) to Sunday (14th). But I should know in the next few days.

You are, in fact, correct. I am very tired and it's next Thursday (June 11th) through Sunday (June 14th). Since you're local, it'll be easy enough for me to pick you up at N79 if you don't want to drive up to KIPT, only exception being if it's IFR down to mins. :)

Either way, no rush other than the obvious one of I need to know prior to takeoff next Thursday morning. If you do decide to go you'll need to figure out lodging, but I wouldn't worry about that. Although I've not been there, it seems that room will almost always pop up if you show up. I do know that there was a bed last year that had my name on it and was then opened up when I didn't show up.

And one of the next few lessons, I'll be doing some more two way radio work, so we'll head up to Williamsport, and I'll be sure to send a PM your way so we can meet up.

Great! Let me know when you plan on coming by, and I'll see if I can be around the airport. Williamsport is a great airport to practice tower and radio work at.

Not an old woman, but clearly a liar! :) (Okay, Tim got there before me, but I thought it as soon as I read it!:yes:)
Last year I was on my solo road trip - which you can read all about some time on the Purple Board when you are extremely bored. I drove from Jacksonville to Maine and visited all of my pilot friends along the way...
See! Liar! You didn't stop and see me, and Chicago is CLEARLY on the way from Jacksonville to Maine. Just ask Diana! :)

See! Liar! You didn't stop and see me, and Chicago is CLEARLY on the way from Jacksonville to Maine. Just ask Diana! :)

And she's never stopped and visited me, even when she was in Bloomsburg just down the road! :(

And Kim, ya ain't old. ;)

Hey Ted, your not the only one in Willamsport and I was here first!

If you don't make it to gastons, Saturday at Willamsport is a pancake breakfast!

Us folks in the north aren't worth stopping to see when the southerners come northwards.

Us folks in the north aren't worth stopping to see when the southerners come northwards.

I don't know, Ed...we had a fly-in in Biddeford Pool ME pretty much where nobody actually lived...sometimes you have to take the fly-in to the people. Sometimes the people come to you. People generally do what they want to do - and what they can afford to do. Sometimes other things get in the way - and that's okay.

But, when you whine about it, it makes you seem a lot less fun than you probably are...which may make people never, ever want to visit. ;)

Last edited:
Back