Gaston's web site

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Chip has done a fantastic job with our Gaston's web site for the past four years. :yes: Most people probably don't realize how much time and effort Chip has invested in keeping the site up-to-date, classy looking, and upbeat and positive. The bad news is...Chip won't be able to do it anymore. :(

If anyone is interested in taking over the job, please let me know.

Thanks Chip, for all the work you did on our site! :cheerswine:

Will he provide some basic tutoring in how it all goes together?

Will he provide some basic tutoring in how it all goes together?
Spike, I don't know how to answer that one, and don't want to speak for Chip. But I DO know that Chip is good at tutoring. :)

How come nobody has offered to do this yet...is it the way I asked for a volunteer? :D

Now I feel guilty....I'll do it..probably a better use of time then some of the other projects I'm working on.

I'm not sure if everyone here realizes the amount of work and effort Chip has put towards the Gaston's website. It's one thing to create a few pages, slap some images on, and call it good. It's a whole different deal to actually go through and write the code for a dynamic website handling all the user authentication plus all the other cool features Chip built in. I am sure he has put way more hours into it then the average user would ever expect.

Last edited:
Now I feel guilty....I'll do it..probably a better use of time then some of the other projects I'm working on.

Jesse,

I know gastonsflyin.com V2.0 will be a great improvement over V1.0. Just let me know the DNS you want the URL to point to and I'll change it. Thanks for stepping up.

Jesse,

I know gastonsflyin.com V2.0 will be a great improvement over V1.0. Just let me know the DNS you want the URL to point to and I'll change it. Thanks for stepping up.

Will do. I'll have to put some thought towards how this will be implemented. I'll most likely develop on another domain and will just give you the IP when it's ready for launch.

Will do. I'll have to put some thought towards how this will be implemented. I'll most likely develop on another domain and will just give you the IP when it's ready for launch.

Way to go, Jesse!!

And a big Thank You!! :cheerswine:

Kaye (who's clueless when it comes to stuff like this)

I'd do it, but I lack massive amounts of creativity.

I could make the Gastons V site look like it was made in the early 90s pretty well though :D

Thanks for doing it, Jesse. With you at the helm, I'm sure we'll have a hell of a site with a lot of features.

And thanks to Chip for doing it for 4 years now. You did an excellent job.

Thanks for doing it, Jesse. With you at the helm, I'm sure we'll have a hell of a site with a lot of features.

Yeah, I bet anyone who tries to cancel this year will suddenly have an arm growing out the side of their computer that reaches up and smacks 'em upside the head. :D

It'll probably also auto-cancel the reservations of anyone threatening to throw Jesse in the river. :rofl:

I've been putting some thought towards this website and what the best possible approach will be. I have decided that I'm going to develop it using Ruby on Rails. This probably means very little to most of you -- but it does mean that I have some learning to do as I'm coming from a traditional LAMP background.

What sort of features would you like this website to have? Once I have a clear view of where the website needs to go I will start development. Some of my ideas are:
  • Maintain the same "feel" of the current website. I think Chip has done a good job telling the fly-in story with pictures and words.
  • More sophisticated user features including an image gallery for each user. Perhaps a video gallery? This way you can see all the fly-in attendees and the pictures they took. Cleanly--all at the same place.
  • Improved attendee information. I want to do things like a last minute confirm before the fly-in to get a better idea of who dropped out and who is coming.
  • Flightaware information--see the status of those that registered as attending. If they file--see their departure time..etc
Is this overkill? Probably.. But I like overkill.

After the website is developed I will post the URL here to be reviewed. If it's determined that it's an improvement--we'll point the DNS records at my server.

Last edited:
jesse i like the idea of a dedicated location for all pictures and videos. one stop shopping

Jesse, I like all of your ideas, it sounds very good. I would also include the METARS (and perhaps the nexrad loop) for BPK somewhere.

If you don't think it'd be too "overkill", how about a page designed for mobile phones and iPhones? That way people can check for updates after they're en-route...

I've been putting some thought towards this website and what the best possible approach will be.
What sort of features would you like this website to have? Once I have a clear view of where the website needs to go I will start development. Some of my ideas are:
Your ideas are great Jesse. Thanks again for stepping up to the plate. :)

It wise nice of Mike to add his Wiki pages site last year....thanks Mike. Although it was confusing at times having two sites for registering and lists and such, so maybe just one site this time will be easier for everyone (except you :D ).

Jesse a bunch of good ideas. Question about Flightawre.com though. Since Gastons has no instrument approach what is the likelihood that people will be filing to there? Since Flightaware only tracks IFR flights would it be really worth adding that feature?

Perhaps prioritize it lower than some of the other features.

I filed IFR to 3M0, not really a problem because you either arrive visual and cancel, or, if for some reason (night or WX) you cannot, you just request and execute one of the several excellent approaches at BPK (including an ILS).

Controllers up there will help in every way possible, up to and almost including flying the plane for you. They are service-oriented.

Yeah, I bet anyone who tries to cancel this year will suddenly have an arm growing out the side of their computer that reaches up and smacks 'em upside the head. :D

It'll probably also auto-cancel the reservations of anyone threatening to throw Jesse in the river. :rofl:
I thought of inventing a GPS like that! "I said turn here!!" SLAP!!

Jesse a bunch of good ideas. Question about Flightawre.com though. Since Gastons has no instrument approach what is the likelihood that people will be filing to there? Since Flightaware only tracks IFR flights would it be really worth adding that feature?

Perhaps prioritize it lower than some of the other features.

Well, some VFR flights show (I've ONLY showed VFR when in Class C or B airspace though, never outside), according to their FAQ, some VFR planes on flight following will appear.

But you're right, it won't help much, not until ADS-B comes around :D

I think the idea of linking flightaware is great. Chip has done a super job I know jess will take the ball and run.

My only question is...

Does Jesse need to start completely over, or can he take Chip's code and add to it? The site is great as it is, and it doesn't seem to make sense for Jesse to have to start over and do a lot of work to get it back to where it already is before making improvements.

My only question is...

Does Jesse need to start completely over, or can he take Chip's code and add to it? The site is great as it is, and it doesn't seem to make sense for Jesse to have to start over and do a lot of work to get it back to where it already is before making improvements.

The site is written in .ASP which is something I'm completely unfamiliar with. So I'm faced with the option of taking over the existing codebase and learning ASP or rewriting it in a different technology. I would much rather learn about Ruby on Rails then ASP. So I'll be rewriting from scratch. A lot of the functionality won't be too tricky to implement. I just have some learning to do.

I've begun to get an idea on where I want to go with this and hope to have a public beta up in the not to distant future.

Update: I plan on spending most of this weekend laying out the logic for authentication, user / groups / roles, and events. Most of my work will happen during the weekends as will the updates.

If anyone here is a CSS / Graphical design badass. I'd be very much interested in some assistance in that department. I'm better at backend logic then I am front end graphical design. Although--if need be--I can do the graphics.

...ain't much you can't do, Jess, seems to me.

Cool picture, you in the DA20, by the way.

...ain't much you can't do, Jess, seems to me.

ain't much that anyone can't do...The problem is most people don't realize it...and that is a very good thing for those of us that can.

The site is written in .ASP which is something I'm completely unfamiliar with. So I'm faced with the option of taking over the existing codebase and learning ASP or rewriting it in a different technology. I would much rather learn about Ruby on Rails then ASP. So I'll be rewriting from scratch. A lot of the functionality won't be too tricky to implement. I just have some learning to do.

I've begun to get an idea on where I want to go with this and hope to have a public beta up in the not to distant future.
I do RoR consulting for a living; let me know if you need any help.

Best,

-Felix

I can't take on the website duties for you, but I have placed that URL as the homepage for 3MO at:
www.flightcentral.net/airport/3M0

If that won't be the same link for 2008, let me know and I'll change it.

Also, you might want to take advantage of the attached "community" page. It has a free Airport Calendar and Blog. Very useful if folks will avail themselves of it. That's more than Airnav does for you. ;)

Last edited:
you may want to change that from Three Mike Oscar to Three Mike Zero. 3 Mike Zero is Gastons.

you may want to change that from Three Mike Oscar to Three Mike Zero. 3 Mike Zero is Gastons.
Well, they're both in Arkansas, and ApacheBob was nice enough to fly to Tree Mike Oscar last year for Gaston's, before joining us at Gastons the next morning!

Perhaps you could add a link to www.sidnaw.org/6Y9 from the 6Y9 page?

Back