Gaston's Return Trip Thread

money talks.

seems to me that the pilots got sick of overpriced gas so they lobbied for a self serve pump and know the fbo wishes they hadnt...

seemed to be nice guys when i was there too, but a dollar a gallon is a lot of change.

money talks.

seems to me that the pilots got sick of overpriced gas so they lobbied for a self serve pump and know the fbo wishes they hadnt...

seemed to be nice guys when i was there too, but a dollar a gallon is a lot of change.
Sure enough. I bought my 79 gallons at the self serve pump, and Dr Bruce was right behind me pumping even more. Sure the folks inside were nice, but 80 bucks is a whole lot of nice.

heck even 15 dollars of nice (in the 140) is a lot of nice. in fact i cant think of what they could do to the 140 in the course of it getting gassed to make it worth it.

What the FBO told me was fuel was just about their only source of income. There was an airport commissioner that is trying to run them off and was behind putting the self serv pump in (just reporting). Supposedly, they don't make any money on that; it's just to get the FBO outta there. The price on the self serv pretty well seemed to be without much, if any, markup. The rub is not if you taxi to the self serv. fill up and leave without using FBO services; it's if you use the tie downs, facilities, restrooms, etc. and then go buy the cheap fuel. And whether you want FBO services there. That self serv price wouldn't support one. I didn't see Bruce use any FBO services <g>

Best,

Dave

Sorry. The picture was fake. I edited it because I didn't think the real photo would interest anyone. The actual photo is posted below.

Matthew;)

Attachments

• BPK departure 2.JPG
    BPK departure 2.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 39
true dave, neither did Ken or Matt/I. all we did was buy a quart of oil.

Sorry. The picture was fake. I edited it because I didn't think the real photo would interest anyone. The actual photo is posted below.

Matthew;)

Matt, you're going to fit right in, good to meet you. What type of engineering do you practice?

Jeepers. You guys make me realize that...I had it easy.

I think Bruce is used to the Blue Cross/Blue Shield rate, but decided to skip filling out all the paper work :D

BTW, don't walk anywhere near that guy when his engine is running; he can kill one faster than you can say "twin"!

Best,

Dave

Matthew;)

Matt:

You are da' man.

Matthew;)

ah this is the part of work where everyone sitting around me wonders what the hell is so funny...

It was not stuck, it only thought is was (confirmed by Kansas City Center).

I had a similar issue just after my 430 was installed. The box had to go back to Garmin :mad: And then there was an issue with the transmit voltage line (I think that was an install issue - I have one of the older boxes, requiring a power converter in a 12 volt plane).

Just got this photo from the line boy at BPK. He shot it as we departed. There was a 140-size gap between the storms, which we threaded all the way back to Iowa.

The 530W and stormscope performed flawlessly, though all we could hear for most of the trip was Dr. Bruce's stuck mike.

Matthew
Wow! what an incredible picture!! Its fake huh? I'm still glad we left when we did. We heard it closed in behind us.

Did Mike ever get his airplane out of Gaston's? Is he the only one left who isn't home yet?

Well, Sheri just dropped me off about 30 minutes ago. She's on her way back to Phoenix right now.

We don't have a total flight time for the return trip, but I'll bet its mighty high with all the diversions yesterday (and this morning).

I made it back to Boise, but it was late, I had made arrangements to have someone get me to my plane for the trip back to S49. I got a different person than the one I had made the arrangements with.He said no way i was a security breach. I had to call a off duty worker of the FBO to let me in to get my airplane. He only charged me $75.00 to let me in the gate. I told him $28.00 for parking wasn't bad but $75.00 for unparking was a little high. I am still working on it though. I got back to Vale, Ore. at 2:18 AM. tired as hell and a little madder than that. I had a great time in Gastons, thanks to Bruce and Susan. They don't come any nicer that those two. I have got to go take a nap. Bob

nick - wonderful

diana - my understanding was the 235 was at mountain home and he was headed back today sometime. weather looks pretty good for him, he'll probably get some bumps in western IL, looks like the soaring there is good.

hows the farM??

hows the farm??
We landed on the north/south runway, splashed water all over the Citabria and stopped short of the ditch to walk it to check it out. Later, Tom taxied across the ditch and then we washed the mud off.

There was no tornado damage here, but the flooding is really bad in this area. I tried to get in to see my doctor in Lamar to get an x-ray of my arm, but the town is completely surrounded by flood water. :eek: No one can get in or out of Lamar, except by boat or helicopter.

yikes, you need (water)skis on the citabria :D

well take care of yourself, glad you made it home OK

This is when I called Diana on the cell phone to tell her the rain was coming. Easy ride for me, but I wouldn't have made it if I had left an hour later.

Last edited:
This is when I called Diana on the cell phone to tell her the rain was coming. Easy ride for me, but I wouldn't have made it if I had left an hour later.

Yikes! I would have been flying in that same crud!

What the FBO told me was fuel was just about their only source of income. There was an airport commissioner that is trying to run them off and was behind putting the self serv pump in (just reporting). Supposedly, they don't make any money on that; it's just to get the FBO outta there. The price on the self serv pretty well seemed to be without much, if any, markup. The rub is not if you taxi to the self serv. fill up and leave without using FBO services; it's if you use the tie downs, facilities, restrooms, etc. and then go buy the cheap fuel. And whether you want FBO services there. That self serv price wouldn't support one. I didn't see Bruce use any FBO services <g>

Best,

Dave

yeah that is a tough one its a lot of money but if the FBO has to shut down then you KNOW that the only pump will be the ss pump and the price will then go sky high. The old Walmart syndrome

yeah that is a tough one its a lot of money but if the FBO has to shut down then you KNOW that the only pump will be the ss pump and the price will then go sky high. The old Walmart syndrome

Yeah, but A DOLLAR TWENTY DIFFERENCE? Geez.

Did Mike ever get his airplane out of Gaston's? Is he the only one left who isn't home yet?

Honey, I'm home! Thanks for thinking of me.

It was still raining lightly at 1 PM when I flew out of Gatsons.

Good thing Nick didn't bet me. My "Uncle" said I was up well before the end of tree line....and I started at the same place you folks did, east of the mudhole.

I got the A&P at the shop next door to the FBO at BPK to adjust my door latch. The door was whistling a little when I flew out. He showed me how the adjustment works. The boss said to just give him $10. Cool.

I bought 60+ gallons of the overpriced fuel at the BPK FBO. I thought he was making the price about the same.

Well, I figured I would need a record 60+ gallons. Danny gave me a bill for 40 gallons. When I checked I only wondered a little why both of the tip tanks looked to be an inch down. Then as I started the engine strangeness #2 was that both gauges indicated 5 gallons in the tips. OK, the fuel sender(s) are stuck...???....BOTH?...I don't like this. Shut down. Danny ran over as soon as he saw me look in tip tanks again. He only thought later that maybe I had 4 tanks. He added another 22 gallons. This time I got an extra 25 cent discount. If I had left with 62 gallons and light tips, THAT would have been a disaster.

As I left there were some dark spots in the hazy sorta overcast and a cumulus towered just east teasing me. I launched north in the haze and climbed to 5500. That didn't seem to be high enough to have enough clearance over a few clusters of clouds so I went to 7500 as I cleared the 7000 foot MOA. That altitude was on the upper edge of the haze. It was CAVU above.

As I was aiming for St. Louis I dreaded having to come down to 3500 for haze and bounces...then ...idea!....the top of the STL Class B is 8000. Up to 9500 I go. I call them. Whatta are you gonna do about me? "Stay clear of Bravo." OK. I'm over the top. Deal wit' it. "What is your on course heading?" 030 I advised when I turned to 040. Deal with that, too, guys. I know that they spent more time talking to me than any 6 airliners. No wonder they hate us FLIBS.

Throughout all of this I was having hella time getting the plane trimmed to stay on altitude. I think the wierdness was that it looked to me like the nose was way below the horizon. Musta been the haze layer...or I was sitting higher for some reason. I did get the altitude variations under control as I passed over the Bravo.

After passing Springfield the few clouds stopped so I advised I was descending to 7500 just to get warmer (OAT was 64, dunno why that seemed so cold but it was blowing on me). I hit some bumps down there.

Then I decided I wanted to stay high to avoid the haze and bumps. I steered well west of the Chicago Bravo to be able to stay at 5500. When I descended and turned east way north of town, the haze was gone, it was smooth as silk, and it was CAVU! :dunno:

The plane handled so smooth it was like it was on rails. I made a greaser landing into the wind on 6.

3.9 hours. Non-stop. Another 60+ gallons gone. I needed all of the tanks full! :hairraise:

The last plane (second year in a row) is home! The caboose, the grand marshall, No. Santa Claus...sumthin. Ah. The rear guard!

Another hour to unpack the too much stuff - which barely fit in the van. I even got it all inside the house!. Woot!

Thanks, all!

The best part for me was learning how you guys judge the weather. I never before had a chance to work with a group to study the conditions and make the go decision. B)

Last edited:
Good thing Nick didn't bet me. My "Uncle" said I was up well before the end of tree line....and I started at the same place you folks did, east of the mudhole.
Well, for what its worth, I believe the bet was whether you'd get off before the first runway marker :D
The best part for me was learning how you guys judge the weather. I never before had a chance to work with a group to study the conditions and make the go decision. B)

I love that part, watching others judge weather. Good stuff.

BTW - I'm really glad you made it home ok. Did you really burn 60 gallons of avgas??

Well, for what its worth, I believe the bet was whether you'd get off before the first runway marker :D

I love that part, watching others judge weather. Good stuff.

BTW - I'm really glad you made it home ok. Did you really burn 60 gallons of avgas??

No. I burned about 125 gallons of avgas. :eek: I think I can lean it more. I got it down to 13.8 GPH at one point - but I was seeing peaks of 200+ degree oil temps and 400 degree cylinder temps as it is. I kept it at 75% power.

Last edited:
So now, finally, we can call it, "Done."

Nice work, everyone, nice work.

All in, all out, all safe.

My friends, ready for next year. See you then! :yes:

So now we're done.

Thanks everyone for making G-IV another year without incident or accident. Nice job everyone.

Home safe and sound, but WOW, the last leg was the worst. Super bumpy from Havasu back to Phoenix. That was the first time flying ever seemed like an aerobic exercise. :eek: Having a beer now and going to bed. It was really great to meet you all. :yes:

The last plane (second year in a row) is home! The caboose, the grand marshall, No. Santa Claus...sumthin. Ah. The rear guard!

Not quite. I didn't make it home until a week after Gaston's ended last year. :)

The 530W and stormscope performed flawlessly, though all we could hear for most of the trip was Dr. Bruce's stuck mike.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

fraid not nick. Matt sure has a sense of humor though...

Amen to that. :yes:

Matt, you forgot to put a Cherokee in the left side of the pic. I was coming from 3M0 to BPK at the same time as you left. You probably made your northbound turn less than a mile from me. :yes:

And for the record, I stood next to my plane, called 800-WX-BRIEF to file my flight plan, was on hold for 3 (that's right, THREE) seconds. Filed without major incident although the briefer was an idiot, and off we went.

Sounds exactly like mine on Monday. THREE TIMES the briefer said that the airmet for IFR had expired, so he just couldn't understand why the METAR at BPK still indicated IFR. (Might be those clouds at 700 feet, ya putz.)

I s'pose I should put the rest of the story in here...

We had a relatively uneventful trip down on Friday, with one long leg MSN->H21 (3.6 hours) and one short one H21->3M0 (1.0). The stop at H21 was to look at some Ercoupes that Kate's FBO is buying. Neither is currently airworthy, but one looked like it'd be fairly easy to get going.

We talked with Matt and Tony on 122.75 for a good chunk of the last leg, and landed fairly late but with some light left in the sky to illuminate the numerous obstacles. After landing, the welcoming committee helped push the plane back into a parking spot and we checked in and got stuff dumped in the room before hurrying back to eat some grilled meat. Mmmmm.

If you haven't been to Gaston's, it's hard to describe the experience. This was my third trip and so I've had the pleasure of meeting most of our stars in the past here and at other events. This weekend, I got to meet Eric Borchers, ApacheBob, Dr. Bill, and several others. (BTW, kudos to Bob for flying the mighty PA-23 all the way down just for brunch on Sunday! Hope you can stay longer next time. :yes:)

For some silly reason, I didn't fly anyone else's plane this year. I'm too much meat for Diana to haul except in the front seat, which she wisely avoided. I got to fly Steve's IAR a few months ago, so I let others go first. I kinda did the same with Greg and the 195 even though I haven't yet ridden aloft in that magnificent bird... I guess I just wanted to let the newbies get the most out of their first Gaston's experience. Maybe next year... I did fly the trusty Archer a couple of times, though, first to pick up Dave on Saturday and also for about an hour with Tony working on commercial maneuvers, which I hadn't had a chance to fly at all in 5 weeks. :( I did manage to get Kate a ride in the beautiful J-3. For those of you who were speculating that it was a brand-new Legend Cub, we were wrong: It was an honest-to-goodness 1946 Piper Cub. Best looking one I've ever seen by far. :yes:

As for that flight with Tony, I managed to show how bad you can get in 5 weeks, and I realized (both from threads here, and from Tony) that everyone teaches them differently and they are somewhat open to interpretation. I got some great suggestions, though. Thanks Tony! :yes: I also managed to demonstrate how NOT to land an Archer. Somehow I climbed slowly through the flare and then plopped it down. Blech.

Sunday came, and I wasn't ready for it to end. Neither was the weather, or the airplane. I was going to go over to Mountain Home to fuel up, but the plane wouldn't start. I borrowed a battery charger from Gaston's and hooked it up, but then it began to rain and most of Missouri looked like a big blob of crap on the radar. By the time the rain ended, Gaston's normally-rock-hard runway had some very large areas of standing water and a lot of soft spots.

We'd all been walking the runway and it looked at first like the right side was the way to go, but the Bonanza driver showed us otherwise, spraying water and mud all over the place and making his plane very dirty. (The pic Diana posted doesn't even start to show all the grass and mud that was on it afterwards!) So, we waited, walked the runway more, etc etc.

Matt and Jesse left, Sheri was thinking about it. I think I walked the runway for about 45 minutes in bare feet trying to find the best way from one end of the bog (the tiedowns) to the relatively-solid center portion of the runway. I actually found a path that seemed decent: Hard right out of the tie-down next to the fuel pump, line up the close bird feeder with the fish painting on the building, then line up with the first runway marker and follow that line until the end of the trees/bushes near the wind sock, 90 degrees left, cross the center of the runway, turn left abeam the 2nd-largest puddle, backtaxi until the trees at the east corner of the tiedowns, and a left 180 onto the small dry-ish center portion of the runway. Thanks to Nick for walking my wing near the picnic tables so I could stay out of the mud as much as possible! All the work paid off - When I examined my path later, I found that I'd only left about a 3-foot long set of ruts way over in the corner, so hopefully the wheel pants won't be full of mud when they come off this fall. :)

Of course, after all that, I was talking with one of the maintenance guys from Gaston's on Monday morning and he said "Oh, don't worry about ruts. We'll flatten them back out. Do whatever you need to stay safe." I think we should make him an honorary pilot. :yes:

Unfortunately, after fueling the plane at the self-serve pumps (Sunday upon arrival at BPK) I couldn't get it to start again. :( Since it was 8 PM already, I made the final no-go call for the day and called work to let them know. Wal-Mart provided (OK, we bought, but I think it was my cheapest bill of the weekend) dry socks and shoes and we went and had dinner at the local mexican joint. I drank a giant margarita, and decided that bad weather isn't all bad. ;)

Monday, we had breakfast with Diana, Tom, Greg, and Sharon. After checking out and spending more time in cabin 8 watching the weather, we finally headed over to BPK. After scouting Airnav for cheap fuel, I chose to stop at K89 Macon, MO, the same place Jesse and Tristan stopped at earlier. Cheap fuel plus a PIREP of a crew car from them, plus lots of positive comments on airnav. I called FSS to file a flight plan and get a briefing - What a waste! Three times the briefer said how the airmet for IFR had expired and how he didn't understand how BPK could still be showing IFR on the METARs. Ugh. At least the flight plan stuck, though when I called back for my clearance I think it took him at least 10 minutes to get it. Cleared as filed, GOBEY V289 VIH V175 MCM K89. (All of that despite the /G mostly to keep us out of all the SUA north of Gaston's.)

The guys from the shop used one of their pickups as a start cart and got us going for "no charge" but I gave 'em 10 bucks anyway. (I bought an A/FD from the FBO, hopefully that makes up in a very small way for buying self-serve fuel. :redface:) I did a quick runup on the roll, paused for a short bit before takeoff to be sure I had everything truly ready, and launched towards the clouds. We first got into the wetness at about 1600 MSL as expected, but we could still see the ground and there were also significant holes in the clag. I called Greg on CTAF to report that, and then flipped over to Memphis Center to check in.

There were some humorous moments as we were on our way out, we weren't yet in radar contact but there was a Bonanza headed to Flippin that was on the same frequency. We were told to report 5,000. We actually were in radar contact for a few moments after turning northbound from the VOR. Then, Center told the Bo to "Report the Flippin' VOR!" and later "Report the Flippin' airport in sight!" :goofy: We reported 5,000 and heard "Radar contact" again.

After about 0.3 of actual, we broke out into clear skies above and below. Most of the remainder of the leg to K89 was smooth and uneventful, and I cancelled IFR upon spotting the field. The courtesy car is a bit old and worn but it beats the hell out of walking, and the FBO owner was friendly as could be. Great small-town airport. (Watch the ConUS Challenge site for more detail.)

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N8483F/history/20070611/2015Z/KBPK/K89

We got a load of cheap fuel with great service included and took off. It was clear the whole way home, and while it looked hazy, visibility was a good solid 30 miles. We threaded our way between a pair of isolated towering cumulus clouds just for fun (and to take some pictures) and just generally played around a bit with detours here and there to look at stuff - Just plain old fun VFR flying. :)

The sun set around the time we crossed the Mississippi, and we touched down on runway 3 at MSN just about 9:30 PM.

Just checkin' in here! Made it, obviously! Busy & getting exhausted... I flew/instructed 7.6 yesterday. :hairraise:

Tony sorry the Blues Brothers thing is going over my head. Hmm.

It was a nice return trip from Gastons after finally getting out of there. I just feel like I haven't stopped moving since Monday morning and that isn't going to change till 7 pm tonight. Neglecting the board for another day or so...

Back