Gaston's press

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
I'm posting this here because many of you are directly responsible for it.

Long story, but after paying me for an article about the Gastons Fly In, EAA decided not to use it. It was scheduled to run last year, but EAA decided to pursue setting up a forum and wanted to hold this for the EAA forum's debut. Then EAA decided NOT to create a forum and killed it (because it puts AOPA in a good light and highlights EAA's lack of a "competing" board), leaving me free to print it elsewhere.

Here, then, for your reading pleasure ...

Attachments

• Gastons.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 172
could we not send an article to other magazines like Plane and Pilot or Flying? They dont have anything to do with EAA. I believe it should be a shame for them to discriminate in favor of AOPA.

Great article BTW, I love all the pictures! I can't wait for this years fly in!

could we not send an article to other magazines like Plane and Pilot or Flying? They dont have anything to do with EAA. I believe it should be a shame for them to discriminate in favor of AOPA.
I offered it to AOPAPilot and Flying. Tom Haines had a problem with buying something from me because I'm editor of a different aviation publication. Mac didn't bother responding at all.

Awesome article Ken! Have you ever thought of writing for a living. ha ;)

Got me pumped for this year. *fingers crossed for the weather and work gods*

Well you write an amazing article, yes it almost made me tear up! I love how everyone and including the article desribes us as being an aviation family, thats awesome.

I dont know how I can help but if I ever can let me know. I've had two articles published, both by EAA and AOPA though, but I'm sure if little people like me can, there are bound to be contacts out there and tons of magazines that haven't been asked!

Unfortunatly I'm almost wondering if we have to leave out the name of Pilots of america before anyone will even consider it. That would be a sad edit though.

Nice work, Ken! :yes: :yes: :yes: :cheerswine:

It was cool to read a magazine article where I knew every person named in the article and every person named next to a photo. You captured the spirit very well. :)

Three weeks to the Fly-B-Q, Six weeks to Gaston's! Woohoo! :goofy:

Ya know, we gotta keep it a little more on the down low.

As it is there are no rooms left. We can't let this turn into (Lot's more of each of) Sun and Fun, AR style.

Great piece, Ken. Really brought all the good Gastons memories flooding back. Can't wait to print it out on the color printer and show it to family/friends. It is more than deserving of being in Sport Aviation or AOPA Pilot.

Regards, Bill

Amazing Ken. I really wish it had been published by AOPA or EAA.

Am I reading it right that you are publishing it in T&T?

Ya know, we gotta keep it a little more on the down low.

As it is there are no rooms left. We can't let this turn into (Lot's more of each of) Sun and Fun, AR style.
Maybe we could inspire them to make more room?

Thanks, Ken. The girls and I are all smiles recalling our experiences at Gaston's. Nice article.

Oh, and btw, the scoring paddles will be back in '07! :yes:

I offered it to AOPAPilot and Flying. Tom Haines had a problem with buying something from me because I'm editor of a different aviation publication. Mac didn't bother responding at all.
Unreal. Sometimes, you simply print something because it benefits those people you're trying to draw to the sport/profession you exist to serve.

I suppose I shouldn't store any of my five subscriptions near each other. It might seem like a treasonous act.

This article provides exact information on one of the huge benefits of flying. I think it's most prime place would be Flight Training so new and prospective students can get a peek of what's to come. You might even try a different take... offer it for print and let the payment be determined by the response they get. You're not getting anything now and you still come out smelling like a rose because no matter how you cut it, it's a benefit for current and future pilots.

Either way, great job on the writing! :yes:

Great article, Ken. You really captured it as far as I'm concerned.

fantastic Ken. Was wondering what happened to the Gastons article.

Very nice Ken. Put me on the list for the first edition of your novel.

Ken,

Great job!! I saw the article in T&T. I don't care what Diana says, I think you write very well.

Ken,

Great job!! I saw the article in T&T. I don't care what Diana says, I think you write very well.

Watch. He'll get complaints from subscribers because the only thing that article has to do with Twins & Turbines is the mention of a Seneca. ;)

:hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise: Chip, you weren't supposed to tell him that!!!

:D :D :D

The article reads even better now than when I read it several months ago. Ken, reading what you write is always enjoyable and often enlightening. You truly captured the essence of our gatherings. It sounds like you had a frustrating time getting the article out there. I'm glad you finally found a way to do that. You did a wonderful job! :yes:

I hope you will take me flying in the Citabria again at Gaston's this year. :yes:

Or allow camping (for a fee, of course, roughly equal to their profit on a room since the camping would be zero cost) that weekend.

Now that right there is an excellent idea.

As for the article . WOW ! It was great Ken it really bought me back to last June. I forwarded it to my friends and family so they could get a feel for what it was like.

Ken---- You captured the real deal, The people, the airplanes, the faces of forum pals, and most of all the glue that binds us all, the love of flying. I so look forward to getting back to Gastons this year. I won't be flying my aircraft, but I'll be there. Good job. Bob

Great article Ken!! I myself am looking forward to my first time at Gaston's this summer. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent article Ken, I can't wait for this years Fly-in, but it looks like it will be a drive-in for me, unless I can find a rental in the area that will allow a grass strip.

Great story, Ken!!!! It sure brought back the memories, and I can hardly wait until this year!:yes:

Great article, Ken!

Well, it DID have a picture of a Twin Beech in it. :yes: :D
AND it mentioned a 777 "driver" :yes::rofl:

Saw the magazine on the table at my FBO today, and Leslie's CFI mentioned that she saw my picture in the magazine when we were talking.

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

I do owe a public apology to Susan Cornwell, whose name I misspelled as the author of a sidebar therein. I hate it when this happens, but unfortunatly it DOES happen from time to time. Sorry, Susan.

Do they have a bathhouse for campers? If not, your idea stinks!

It's the idea that would be stinking, but I think that's what you meant.

Seriously, there are campgrounds nearby. We could arrange drivign campers back and forth.

Can't believe you quoted me. Other than a letter to the editor its the first time something I've written has been published.

everyone makes mistakes every now and then Ed...

I am looking forward to Gaston's this year will be my first time.

I fell out of my chair on this one.

"but like the ankle tattoo on a model, it serves more as a conversation starter than a deterrent":rofl:

John

Back