Gaston's Poker Run 2008 - Roll Call and Rules

Thanks, Troy. That was a lot fun. I'm glad that you had a backup plan in place when we weren't able to get our Flippin card.

Also, thanks to Kent for allowing me to stick my thumb out.

Unbelievable. I've done four poker runs and received the worst hand award in three of them. That's just pathetic! :D

Thanks for letting me play in absentia.

Unbelievable. I've done four poker runs and received the worst hand award in three of them. That's just pathetic! :D

Thanks for letting me play in absentia.

Chip:

You were absent, and had the worst hand...

...things that make you say, "Hmmm..." :dunno:

Cool, Troy! Looks like a hoot! Sorry I missed out this year, but if I'm there next year (I'm starting the planning now), you can count me in for G-VI Poker Run.

With all that cash on the table your lucky the Arkansas authorities didn't confiscate your airplanes. :D

With all that cash on the table your lucky the Arkansas authorities didn't confiscate your airplanes. :D

Illegal?! If so, I want to know! We'll do it DIFFERENTLY.

This is how all of the poker runs I've seen before have worked. Maybe this explain's Spike's non participation! As Spike said, "things that make you go hmmmmm"...

Thanks to all of you who set this up. It was a lot of fun.

Is there any chance we could include a few more airports next year, though? Personally, I thought getting the cards off site was one of the highlights of the event. All of us who went (Grant in his 210, Pete, and me, and our passengers) really enjoyed going out and getting the cards.

-Felix

Sure! If you guys want to continue the game as we did it last year, we certainly can. Sound off, let me know how you want to do it.

Hmm, I have to admit that I don't necessarily agree with Felix. I was kind of happy that you were planning to shorten it up for 2009. Maybe not as short as only BPK...but I think 1-2 airports should be all that is required. Perhaps any additional airports could be used to better a hand.

If I hadn't seen Kent leaving (with an empty seat) I'm not sure I would have played. Most of the reason that I enjoyed it so much was because I was hanging with Kent and Jason. You can only really fly to all of these airports with 2-3 other pilots if you're flying a 182/210/Bo.

How about a compromise?! Four airports, as before... you have to get two cards offsite, but can get up to 4. We play a variation on "texas holdem" with three community cards that everyone plays off of, and you take the best hand you can get with your 2, 3, or 4 cards. No purchase of an extra $5 card at the table, no "Gastons" card--you get your cards (2, 3, or 4--how adventurous do YOU want to be?) at the outlying fields.

Everyone plays the same 3 "Gastons" cards: 1 "gear up (flop)", 1 "procedure turn", 1 "white river" card

You play your two cards for best hand of 5, or two of your three cards for the best hand of five (discard one from your hand), or two of your four cards for the best hand of five (discard two from your hand).

Last edited:
OK, sounds like folks like that idea. So the next question is:

Does everybody have to use the three community cards from the table in their final hand, or should we allow the use of the "best 5" from your cards + the community cards, just like normal Texas Hold 'Em??

I'm leaning towards the latter... if you were adventurous enough to go get 4 cards from 4 airports, you should be able to use any/all of those cards, plus however many you want or need from the community cards, to make your "best hand".

Troy, someone on the purple board was asking about the poker run for this year and I wasn't sure what you decided to do. Would you be interested in starting a new thread for the 2009 poker run? :)

Back