Gaston's Poker Run 2008 - Roll Call and Rules

I can't access the "rules" document from where I am... can somebody look at it and let me know who it lists as "judges"?

Rules Read:

Judges:

There will be three primary and one alternate judges for this event. The alternate judge will serve if any of the primary judges are not available, or if a primary judge is contesting his/her own hand. The following individuals have volunteered (thank you!):

1) Kevin Standley (POA member Kevin47881)
2) Ross Fischer (POA member RossFischer)
3) ?
A) ?

Rules Read:

Thanks, Brett!

OK, then, I see I already have Kevin S. as a judge, so "yes, Kevin, you're still a judge!"

And Brett, thanks for volunteering, I'll add your name as well (tonight). I, or another volunteer, can act as a standby judge should any of the existing three be unable to do so.

I'll admit it... I'm lazy and tired and don't want to wade through three pages of posts.

What are the rules here? My schedule has changed and I need to know if I can still play.

I'll admit it... I'm lazy and tired and don't want to wade through three pages of posts.

What are the rules here? My schedule has changed and I need to know if I can still play.
Hmmmm...... Post one of this thread, maybe? Next, you're going to ask us to collect the cards from the outlying airports for you? :rofl::rofl::yes::yes::rofl::rofl:

UPDATE: Cards will ship out via FedEx tomorrow, to the FBOs! Per the rules, you can start picking up your cards at the FBO June 1st or later. When you arrive at the airport, go into the FBO, identify yourself as with the "Gaston's Poker Run", and they will allow you to draw ONE card randomly from the "bag". I would recommend writing your name on the outside of the envelope, so your card can be returned to you if you lose it and somebody finds it.

REMINDER: Do NOT open the envelope containing the card! They must remain SEALED until Saturday night's game play to be valid.

Let the game begin!

1 Troy "Fly Boy" Whistman
2 Teresa "Lady Red" Whistman
3 Brent Johnson
4 Kevin "Woolworth's" Standley
5 Chip "Big Slick" Gibbons
6 Chris "Marksman" Jones
7 Grant "Jack Benny" Prellwitz
8 Leslie "Motown" Prellwitz
9 Ken "Hooks" Ibold
10 Catherine Ibold
11 Diana "Little Slick" Richards
12 "Kangaroo" Kate Bernard
13 Ross "Dr. Pepper" Fischer
14 Randy "The Good Buddy" Fischer
15 Matt "Roger That" Kunkel
16 Spike "I Haven't Got a Clue How to Play Poker" Cutler
17 JC Zalog
18 Dr. "Feelin' good" Bill
19 Felix "Hollywood" Morio
20 Pete "What this isn't Euchre?" von Tresckow
21 "Babblin" Brook

:( Yeah...I'm out.

Last edited:
I know there was a post here somewhere about tracking information for the playing cards, but I'm too lazy to look for it. Can anyone point it out to me?

:D

OK, who is missing from the game!? Kent? Jesse? Jason? C'mon, the more the merrier!!

EDIT: You know, next year we should pick a worthy charity and part of the pot goes to that... maybe Able Flight or something aviation related like that.

Just checked on package delivery; all four were delivered today to the respective FBO's... so June 1st is the first official day when you're allowed to fly in and get your cards. I'd appreciate a report here from the first person to do so from each airport, so we can ensure there are no difficulties and that the cards are, in fact, there and available at the front desk. I can also be reached via cell at eight-one-seven, tree-two-zero, one-tree-tree-six.

Originally Posted by HPNFlyGirl
3 Brent Johnson
6 Chris "Marksman" Jones
9 Ken "Hooks" Ibold
10 Catherine Ibold
17 JC Zalog
21 "Babblin" Brook
22 "Cherokee" ApacheBob
23 Laura "ArtsyFartsy" ApacheBob

Last edited:
Oops.. I forgot to update my status on this list. Considering I am so close to the top and too lazy to re-type the list with updated numbers, I'll just say that I am, unfortunately, out this year. :(

This makes 5 Gaston's in a row that I have attempted to attend and have been axed at the last minute. This year I was closer than ever, though -- made it down to 1 week pre-G before having to definitively cancel. As long as Gaston's keeps happening annually and I get progressively closer each year, I should be able to attend within the next 10 years or so. ;)

Oops.. I forgot to update my status on this list. Considering I am so close to the top and too lazy to re-type the list with updated numbers, I'll just say that I am, unfortunately, out this year. :(

This makes 5 Gaston's in a row that I have attempted to attend and have been axed at the last minute. This year I was closer than ever, though -- made it down to 1 week pre-G before having to definitively cancel. As long as Gaston's keeps happening annually and I get progressively closer each year, I should be able to attend within the next 10 years or so. ;)
Chris, at least you are making progress. Are you going to OSH this year?

Chris, at least you are making progress. Are you going to OSH this year?

Slowly but surely, Diana. ;)

I am hoping to make it to OSH for at least a couple of days this year. RAGBRAI is the week before OSH, so I'm not sure how much time I can take away from work at one time. I'll know more about time frame for OSH as we get closer.

OK. I went to all four airports today and all four had cards ready for me to select from. No problem.

OK. I went to all four airports today and all four had cards ready for me to select from. No problem.

Great, thanks for the PIREP, Chip!! I was going to say that the game is now officially afoot, until my lurking, non-posting wife suggested that "the game is now aloft" would be a better choice of words.

RIDE REQUEST: Is anybody planning on flying to all four airports on Saturday to collect their cards? If so, would you have room for one female rider, perhaps her and her teenage son? My sister-in-law is driving in from Kansas City, and would like to participate in the game, but will need wing/wings to go get her cards...

Thanks to the ride offers on the other thread. Instead of renumbering the list, my sister-in-law has subbed spot #6 for Chris.

3 Brent Johnson
6 Julie "Ace-In-the-Hole" Whistman
9 Ken "Hooks" Ibold
10 Catherine Ibold
17 JC Zalog
21 "Babblin" Brook
22 "Cherokee" ApacheBob

3 Brent Johnson
9 Ken "Hooks" Ibold
10 Catherine Ibold
17 JC Zalog
21 "Babblin" Brook
22 "Cherokee" ApacheBob
24 Jesse

Just got the forecast. The ApacheBobs are out. Bummer! :blueplane:

I ended up driving due to weather, so scratch me off the poker run part as well.

3 Brent Johnson
9 Ken "Hooks" Ibold
10 Catherine Ibold
15 Matt "Roger That" Kunkel <-Out (Folds)
17 JC Zalog
21 "Babblin" Brook
22 "Cherokee" ApacheBob

Last edited:
FSS had me worried about the weather. But looking at the satellite, I may be able to swing around the west of this stuff and make it after all. I wonder if Bruce still intends to fly from Peoria?

FSS had me worried about the weather. But looking at the satellite, I may be able to swing around the west of this stuff and make it after all. I wonder if Bruce still intends to fly from Peoria?
I haven't heard anything from him suggesting he won't make it. Looking forward to seeing both of you and your spouses!

Last I saw Felix Morio was in the lead with a full house. That sure beat my pair of fives. :(

OK, folks, here's the "official" update, and the cattle call for next years event, which will feature a different version of the game than this year.

We had twenty participants. Eight of them took advantage of the "buy an extra card for $5" rule to try to improve their hands--it worked for them, as our top three winners all bought an extra card. Sadly, that strategy did not work for all, as even our "worst hand" winner obtained his via the "buy an extra card" strategy.

OFFICAL RESULTS:
1st place: Felix Morio, $220
2nd place: Lance Fisher $132
3rd place: Julie Whistman $88
Worst hand: Chip Gibbons (winner of consolation prize, the book "Poker for Dummies)

Players with "scorable hands":

Grant Prellwitz, pair of fours
Leslie Prellwitz, two pair, tens and Jacks
Jason Wilkinson, pair of fives
Lance Fisher, three of a kind, Queens
Felix Morio, full house, nines and Jacks
Julie Whistman, two pair, eights and Kings
Rick G, two pair, tens and Jacks

I'd like to thank the judges, Kevin Standley (Kevin47881), Ross Rischer (RossFischer) and Brent Johnson (bjohnson) for their superb assistance and the way they ran the game.

Here's some pictures:

Kevin Standley and Brent Johnson running the board:
IMG_9514.jpg

Players having fun:
IMG_9515.jpg

Calculating winnings and splitting the pot:
IMG_9518.jpg

Winning hands:
IMG_9523.jpg

Next year: same buy-in ($20), but you only need to retrieve one card offsite (Mountain Home, KBPK). You'll receive your second card at Gastons when you buy-in on Saturday night. Players will all play against a common set of 5 community cards, ala Texas Hold 'Em. Players will be able to purchase one extra card to improve their hand, as before.

Last edited:
And a special thanks to Troy for setting everything up and allowing us to play a problem free hand!!!:yes::yes::yes:

Back