Gaston's is requesting feedback

i believe the cancellation policy is pretty clear on the website. sucks but they are not a charity either.

We had to cancel due to weather. The clerk said that "Ron" might let us change our reservation to another day later in the summer. When I spoke to "Ron," he said that that was not their policy.
We will not be coming down next year, or ever.:(
ApacheBob

That sucks, man. I don't blame you, but I hate to hear that. Since I work there, I could get into a discussion with you about why things are done a certain way, but the truth of the matter is it wouldn't do any good. You'd still be out money and the policy would still be the same. That's not to say I agree with it (or disagree, I can't talk bad behind my manager's back), but its just the way.

I hope you attend another fly-in with the people on this board though, cause they're too fun not to hang out with. But to your defense, it should be a happy time, and it should be on your terms (after all, it is your money and your vacation).

Anyway, if there's anything I can do, I'll try and hep. But I've never been able to get anyone's money back before (I'm just a lowly front desk clerk, sigh).

You had coffee? We had a coffee maker and filters, but no coffee. We bought some on a store run. (It's great that they let you take the vans, BTW).

And yes, Wi-Fi would be nice.

Yeah, the filter/cup/amenities were wrapped together in a cellophane
package - looked like a silver ball of...something :rolleyes:, but not coffee.

Some of us brought wireless routers with us.

I learned they don't work too good if you forget the AC power supply.

:rolleyes:

I've done similar when traveling to a hotel, only to find out I left the power supply (ie The Brick) at home/work. Using the hotel's business center computer can be a real drag...

Well, we certainly don't need to worry about the grass being mowed with all the low passes Jesse made <g>

Best,

Dave

- small shampoos in the bathrooms
We noticed that too. You'd think they would be provided considering the price of the cottage.

- Comp Diana's cabin :yes:
:) I think that will be a cold day in ____, but that's a nice thought Grant. :yes:

You had coffee? We had a coffee maker and filters, but no coffee.
I didn't see any coffee or additives in our cottage. We know to bring our own, but it would be nice if they were provided.

OH, and that big raise for Jason would be good, too. :D

I couldn't be happier with the staff...they were all absolutely wonderful, helpful, and eager to please. Gaston's is fortunate to have people like that working for them.

It would have been nice to visit with Jim Gaston, but he didn't seem to be around the flight line. Did anyone see him?

Jason, I suggest that you print this thread off for Logan to read since he was wanting feedback. :yes:

It would have been nice to visit with Jim Gaston, but he didn't seem to be around the flight line. Did anyone see him?...

Who was the guy driving down the runway in the black-and-chrome-with-lotsa-lights-taxpayer-subsidized H2?

Who was the guy driving down the runway in the black-and-chrome-with-lotsa-lights-taxpayer-subsidized H2?
I wondered that too. He did it several times and didn't seem to go very far. :dunno: Strange.

Just a few observations.

2. There should be at least two large capacity fire extinquishers on the flightline on either side of the runway when there's a peak in aircraft population such as a fly-in. Mary and I discussed this on the way home and we would be willing to chip in to donate towards one to be kept at the local VFD with the understanding it would at least be staged on the flightline during our event. A second one could be kept at Gaston's year round with the same stipulation. They would need to be "aircraft-friendly".

Steve this is a really wonderful idea!!!

She is, after all, the sweetest thing, that Diana.....;)

I'd thought about the bicycles too. It would be nice to be able to get back and forth to the room quicker or to just go riding around.

Or, a handfull of community golf carts. Most used the giant gas guzzling vans for getting themselves back and forth at the resort. I'd think Gastons could save a few $$$ by having guests run about in rechargable golf carts.

Or, a handfull of community golf carts. Most used the giant gas guzzling vans for getting themselves back and forth at the resort. I'd think Gastons could save a few $$$ by having guests run about in rechargable golf carts.

Or John Deere Gators. At least then they could use them for 'work' during the week between weekend arrivals. Plus, they're a hoot to knock around in! :) Better yet... Get a Gator and some sort of tow-bar hookup and they'd REALLY be set!

The owner of our FBO drives to work in one of these:

http://www.gemcar.com/

gem-e2-homepage.jpg

There are 4 & 6 seater versions, too. Street legal!

Or John Deere Gators. At least then they could use them for 'work' during the week between weekend arrivals. Plus, they're a hoot to knock around in! :) Better yet... Get a Gator and some sort of tow-bar hookup and they'd REALLY be set!

Gaston's has at least one Gator. The grounds crew was using it.

We should see if we could rent one nearby.

There are probably insurance issues with the golf cart thing, too....

Can't imagine it would cost more to insure than the vans!:no:

Professional driver; closed course, don't try this at home thing :goofy:
Having a resort employee that was trained would be more insurable than having mere pilots drive all over--who knows where they'd go or what they'd do :hairraise:

Best,

Dave

You mean like Steve/Felix trying to stretch the food budget by tagging a deer with the vans??????

You mean like Steve/Felix trying to stretch the food budget by tagging a deer with the vans??????

I didn't hear about that but I had one play chicken with me. Stopped by the side of the road until I got within 8 inches then crossed, while looking back and laughing at the nose diving car with the flying bulldog inside. :mad:

Here's one... it would have been nice if Gaston's had informed other guests staying any night(s) between Wednesday and Monday about our event and to exercise extreme caution when at or near the runway, or on the road that passes just south of the departure end of runway 6. I wouldn't even mind designing a flier for them to distribute during this time frame, in fact I would enjoy making it and have at least some assurance people aren't going to dart out onto the runway like a few did.

Even better would be a strong suggestion to not cross the runway (which is technically an active runway) without consulting with a pilot or PoA group member near the tents on the southeast corner of the field. They may also have questions and I'm sure anyone (including myself) would be more than happy to answer them. Also let them know to stop driving south of the runway if there is an aircraft lined up for departure (danger of prop wash, etc) or an aircraft on landing roll that *could* pass over the road. ;)

Just a thought...

Last edited:
Here's one... it would have been nice if Gaston's had informed other guests staying any night(s) between Wednesday and Monday about our event and to exercise extreme caution when at or near the runway, or on the road that passes just south of the departure end of runway 6. I wouldn't even mind designing a flier for them to distribute during this time frame, in fact I would enjoy making it and have at least some assurance people aren't going to dart out onto the runway like a few did.

Even better would be a strong suggestion to not cross the runway (which is technically an active runway) without consulting with a pilot or PoA group member near the tents on the southeast corner of the field. They may also have questions and I'm sure anyone (including myself) would be more than happy to answer them.

Just a thought...
We should make a few promenentt signs, like anybody needs more stuff to carry.

Attention guests: This field will be a very active airplane runway. Please use caution when crossing....

Having a resort employee that was trained would be more insurable than having mere pilots drive all over--who knows where they'd go or what they'd do :hairraise:
Yeah, who knows. Though I would be surprised if they drove 10 people to the dam for one of Grant's Margaritas at 2am, right Spike? :D

Yeah, who knows. Though I would be surprised if they drove 10 people to the dam for one of Grant's Margaritas at 2am, right Spike? :D

Only - only - if there were two certifiably-sober designated drivers along (two, so the drive-there guy could have a 'Rita and let the other guy drive back).

Hypothetically speaking, natch... ;)

Best,

Dave
Well, since it was non-resort employees with no training driving the vans, I can't see that there would be more of a risk having the same people driving vehicles with less mass, fewer seats, and a slower top speed.

My observation was the majority of the pedestrians crossing the runway were PoA'ers.

My observation was the majority of the pedestrians crossing the runway were PoA'ers.
I agree that the majority were, and I suspect that we were all aware it is an active runway! In the evening I observed a number of guests looking at the airplanes and wandering across to get an up-close view. I usually made an effort to cross the runway to stand with them, answer any questions they had, and generally try to portray a positive image for GA. In almost every case, either someone in the group was a current or former pilot or they knew someone who was.

Someone (no it was Not Me) said to the non-POA parents whose child was wandering around that it might be best if they keep said toddler on a short rein, as it would have been a terrible tragedy if a prop were to strike them, resulting in considerable damage to prop and likely an engine tear-down too. Ever the courteous person, I dashed from my mind the fleeting and inconsiderate thought, "would that repair and inspection be covered by insurance?".

Someone who wishes they were a pilot. As expensive as that thing was (probably more than some of the planes on the field!), he was never able to achieve liftoff. :no: :D

Good idea. I know I wasn't the only person that had to shout "AIRPLANE!!!" at someone crossing the runway with a plane on short final.

Good idea. I know I wasn't the only person that had to shout "AIRPLANE!!!" at someone crossing the runway with a plane on short final.

Which is the primary reason we could use a PA system or at minimum, a bullhorn.

How 'bout shocking collars <g> I really don't attend Gaston's to listen to a bullhorn; just the bull!

Best,

Dave

We can do like I threatened: imitate the most annoying airshow announcer at AirVenture, Roscoe(?) the WW II "expert"

"Interestingly enough...."

Other improvements, which we could provide ourselves:

I just got back from our nightly volleyball game so got to thinking if there was enough interest, I could round up a net ball and court markings....would have to find some uprights - anyone play? Maybe a morning/eve thing as its pretty hot in the day.

Flight line music? Not too loud or distracting...something soft in the background (like Shakira?!).

Flight line music? Not too loud or distracting...something soft in the background (like Shakira?!).
There are few people about whom I could say that the music they listened to was a perfect match for them. I have to admit that I was not the least bit surprised to hear Shakira through my headsets in your plane, though.

I vote for Ho'okoa. Ever since I got back from Hawaii, I can't stop listening to them on my way to work :cheerswine:

-Felix

Back