Gaston's is requesting feedback

If we have music on the flightline I'll have to wear headsets to hear radio calls on Unicom. Then I won't be able to hear the sound of aircraft engines, which makes it hard to tell which direction the traffic may cause a conflict when there's no radio call.

Maybe someone with better hearing should do the radio thing next year.

Sorry you had to miss it this year. I've got a great group picture from the dam advanture, but it's probably not for public viewing :no: ;)
I wanna see it! I wanna see it!!! :yes: Can you email it to me? I can keep a secret. :yes:

...I wasn't drunk!

Much.

In the event of an airplane over-running hopefully everyone would scatter in time. Of course the more stuff sitting over there the more likely the damage to the plane would be. It is awful hard to get a large group of people to scatter on short notice--even more so when there are little ones involved.

Fortunately that never happens.... ;) :hairraise:

Based on what I saw, I gotta cast a vote with Jesse on this one. During the day, with planes landing, that overrun area isn't a safe place for people and kids to hang out.

Fortunately that never happens.... ;) :hairraise:

Based on what I saw, I gotta cast a vote with Jesse on this one. During the day, with planes landing, that overrun area isn't a safe place for people and kids to hang out.

Nope, never happens at all.:eek:

Wait I get first dibs on it! I will pay for it! (And that offer is not to be misconstrued as a bribe, or a pay-off to hide evidence, nuh-uh!) ;)
Dave, you're funny. :yes: I saw it and thought everyone looked really happy. I won't be sharing it with anyone else though. Just in case someone in the photo thought it was unflattering. ;)

Dave, you're funny. :yes: I saw it and thought everyone looked really happy. I won't be sharing it with anyone else though. Just in case someone in the photo thought it was unflattering. ;)
Who'd think such a thing? Not me :no:;) :D

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. :yes: Maybe across the road where the fly-fishing clinic is held. The kids might like it too.

Yeah, and the net could help errant airplanes stop! :hairraise: :eek: :no:

I'm with Jesse - The only worse place would be ON the actual runway.

In fact, I was thinking that they should put some warning signs next to the driveway where it crosses past the end of the runway too. :yes:

RE: Sporting Events at Gastons.

I vote for basketball. :yes:

attachment.php

For those of you who haven't met Chris, what he's not telling you is that his right foot is still on the floor! :hairraise: :D

In fact, I was thinking that they should put some warning signs next to the driveway where it crosses past the end of the runway too. :yes:

And a sign to "Use your checklist" 'cause we saw more than one plane on the takeoff roll under full power with the door being banged in a desparate attempt to latch it.

And a sign to "Use your checklist" 'cause we saw more than one plane on the takeoff roll under full power with the door being banged in a desparate attempt to latch it.

Controls, Instrument, Gas, Altimeter, Runup, Seatbelt / doors secure...Simple, fast, verbal, and no stupid piece of paper to keep track of ...works every time.

and to be fair..sometimes the door opens even after you've checked it.

Tell Gaston's that I would like my money back (because I could not come) or lodging on a different day (which the clerk said may be available.)
Yes, I knew the policy. But the clerk made it sound like there was some wiggle room. For a group as big as the POA gang, it sure would be nice to have some good will on the back side of the event.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Tell Gaston's that I would like my money back (because I could not come) or lodging on a different day (which the clerk said may be available.)
Yes, I knew the policy. But the clerk made it sound like there was some wiggle room. For a group as big as the POA gang, it sure would be nice to have some good will on the back side of the event.:blueplane:
ApacheBob
The way I read their policy (the one I received in the mail, not the same as on the Internet), you should be able to reschedule at the last minute, but may be subject to a $50 fee.

ApacheBob

I've got to say, the more I think about this...the more I'm with Bob. As a group, we mean a lot of money to Gaston's. They should know how aviation works. Sometimes you want to make it and you just can't/shouldn't.

The purpose of a deposit, in this situation, is to protect the resort from losing the money if they reserve the room and somebody cancels. In our situation there is no way that the room is going to go unused. There has to be some type of a compromise. How about we don't lose our money if the room is rented for the duration of the reservation? Something. The hardest part is losing your money when you know that the room is still going to rented by somebody else. So instead of it softening the blow of a room going unrented, they're making even more money off of it.

Like I said, there has to be some sort of middle ground here.

here is the website policy btw, its pretty clear;

"Cancellation policy is that if you cancel your reservation 15 days or more prior to your arrival, we only take $50.00 per room and $50.00 per guide. If you give us 14 days
or less notice, the full deposit will be taken.
We take the first nights stay as a deposit on cottages and we take an additional $100.00 per guide."

does anyone have a copy of the written (paper) policy to compare?

PS - my guess is that the policy arose out of a series of unfair cancellations over the years...people booking rooms they really did not have a lot of hope of using. A business not only gets tired of being burned...but they cannot stay open if they are losing $ :(

Last edited:
I do not think their cxln policy is unjust; they are completely dependent upon leisure travelers, whose plans are typically made in advance. Let us suppose that, instead of one or two people canceling, there is really bad WX and almost no one shows up- they are really in the crapper now, and have likely turned away other customers who, but for availability, would have booked and arrived by car.

Ultimately, their inventory is measured in room-nights, and they can never re-sell those that pass.

Now, I will say this: if I ran the joint, I would volunteer to allow someone who could not make it because of weather to use the value of their deposit, on a space-available basis, on a later date.

here is the website policy btw, its pretty clear;

"Cancellation policy is that if you cancel your reservation 15 days or more prior to your arrival, we only take $50.00 per room and $50.00 per guide. If you give us 14 days
or less notice, the full deposit will be taken.
We take the first nights stay as a deposit on cottages and we take an additional $100.00 per guide."

does anyone have a copy of the written (paper) policy to compare?

PS - my guess is that the policy arose out of a series of unfair cancellations over the years...people booking rooms they really did not have a lot of hope of using. A business not only gets tired of being burned...but they cannot stay open if they are losing $ :(

Dave,

I agree 100% that the written policies that I've seen are very clear. I reserved a room last year and was well aware of the risks involved.

That said, I'm not advocating that they change their policies across the board. I do, however, believe that we have a unique set of circumstances that should allow them to work with us a little bit on this. First, by our very nature, we're a group of people that is more likely to have to cancel because of reasons beyond our control. We know that, and they know that (Jim is a pilot, isn't he?). Second, there isn't much risk involved for them. The chances that a room would go empty during our fly-in is pretty slim. I rented a room after I arrived. The room had been canceled the hour before I arrived. I know of several people that tried to get a room after arriving and were told that everything was full. I agree that I don't want them to lose money. If the room doesn't fill up, then the deposit should be lost. But if somebody rents the room...I think that they should relax things a little bit.

Now, I will say this: if I ran the joint, I would volunteer to allow someone who could not make it because of weather to use the value of their deposit, on a space-available basis, on a later date.
That is kind of where I was going.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Dave,

I know of several people that tried to get a room after arriving and were told that everything was full. I agree that I don't want them to lose money. If the room doesn't fill up, then the deposit should be lost. But if somebody rents the room...I think that they should relax things a little bit.
This is where it gets fishy. I was told by Ron on the next day that all the rooms were not taken. He said that three rooms went unused.
I had called earlier on that Saturday morning to ask that they rent my room to someone else. The clerk said that she would try.
Reading this posting, I think that I should get my money back! Diane, could you see what you can do?
ApacheBob

This is where it gets fishy. I was told by Ron on the next day that all the rooms were not taken. He said that three rooms went unused.
I had called earlier on that Saturday morning to ask that they rent my room to someone else. The clerk said that she would try.
Reading this posting, I think that I should get my money back! Diane, could you see what you can do?
ApacheBob

Hmm, that's odd. I wonder if there is a difference in the types of rooms available and what was being requested. I know that I requested (and received) one of the motel style rooms. I wonder if people were asking for types of rooms/cabins that were full. :dunno:

Bob, sorry, but that isn't in my job description. :) I wish you the best of luck though :) Perhaps Jason (that nice young man who works at Gaston's) can print this thread off and give it to the people at Gaston's who make that kind of decision.

Hmm, that's odd. I wonder if there is a difference in the types of rooms available and what was being requested. I know that I requested (and received) one of the motel style rooms. I wonder if people were asking for types of rooms/cabins that were full. :dunno:

I was told the only rooms that were available were the duplex(?) for "$115 a person double occupancy" as in $230 a night. That was BEFORE you were able to get your room. In other words, they sold a room that was canceled.

This is the very reason I found another place to stay. I got burned to pay for an empty room for a night when I was delayed by weather last year.

Don't stay there if you think you're getting ripped off. I certainly wouldn't.

Ha! This seems a lot like the pot calling the kettle black. ;)

No it's not - I SUCK at basketball! :rofl:

You are one of the few people I know that's taller than me. I encounter maybe three people a year taller than me. Tallest guy I ever knew was 7'8". His belt was at my chest level! :hairraise:

The purpose of a deposit, in this situation, is to protect the resort from losing the money if they reserve the room and somebody cancels. In our situation there is no way that the room is going to go unused.

I don't know about that - In the last couple of weeks, people generally have their plans set. Even if they don't have their own room, chances are they aren't going to snap one up at the last minute.

It sucks, but... I can see it from Gaston's perspective too.

OBTW, the Holiday Inn that we stayed at for the FlyBQ this year lets you cancel for free up until 7 PM the night of your arrival. Very pilot-friendly!

Most hotels at which I stay allow me to cancel up to 6 P.M. that evening. Most resorts are more like Gastons: Last year: Swan at Disney, Green Turtle Club Bahamas; my reservations in Hawaii in July. A destination resort is usually much different than a hotel/motel. If someone has to be going there and there isn't much chance to re-let the room, one can see why it should cost at least one night. Many states have laws governing what can be done and what the facility can do for hold overs.

I don't think one should be charged more than a service fee if they re-let the room, but if it sits empty, keep in mind, the facility may have turned away another user because the room was reserved.

Best,

Dave

There is Precedent too; "ok those guys from POA are wondering publicly about rebates if they no-show on a room, what is going to happen if we announce we are giving one guy a break this year, does that mean all 50 of them will want the same thing next year when we get rained out?"

Might have been better to handle this quietly, behind the scenes - too late now!

PS:
No one got 'burned' if they did not get a refund - they have a policy, they published the policy for all to see - its no secret - and you agree to it when you book a room - like Steve says you no like, you stay elsewhere! No one is being mean to anyone here! Get a business and discover what its like!

ooo I thought of another....a freezer packed full of BlueBell icecream on the flightline!!!

Mmmm... Blue Bell! :yes:

How about John Denver. He's a pilot too! Ooops!:redface:

Man, that's just cold...

Flying, drinking, and eating work pretty well for me. Volleyball would have to happen after flying stopped, i.e. after dark, which could interfere with drinking and eating, mostly drinking.

We can play while drinking... we can also wear aviator-style sunglasses and have Kenny Loggins music blaring in the background! :)

How about a badminton tournament.....more civilized - slower pace - not so sweaty.....

You obviously haven't played with the Pakistani guys that I used to play in college - those guys are intense! I never thought I'd work up a sweat playing badminton - boy was I wrong! :)

Don't stay there if you think you're getting ripped off. I certainly wouldn't.

PS:
No one got 'burned' if they did not get a refund - they have a policy, they published the policy for all to see - its no secret - and you agree to it when you book a room - like Steve says you no like, you stay elsewhere! No one is being mean to anyone here! Get a business and discover what its like!

So yeah. So there!

Just because a thread is titled "Gaston's is requesting feedback" doesn't mean they might want to know something they should change even though we had the SAME THREAD after last year with many of the same comments

What would make us think they want a hint of a complaint or anything like it? After all, what dy'a think you are? Customers? :dunno:

Last edited:
So yeah. So there!

Just because a thread is titled "Gaston's is requesting feedback" doesn't mean they might want to know something they should change even though we had the SAME THREAD after last year with many of the same comments

What would make us think want a hint of a complaint or anything like it? After all what dy'a think you are? Customers? :dunno:
Mike, you really need to get over this tendency you have to repress your feelings. It's unhealthy!:D:goofy::rofl:

And where is that "sarcasm" smilie? :)

I'm coming in on the tail end of this discussion so maybe it's been said before, but what if the person who can't come just keeps the room and lets a last-minute arrival stay in it? They can settle up between each other.

I'm coming in on the tail end of this discussion so maybe it's been said before, but what if the person who can't come just keeps the room and lets a last-minute arrival stay in it? They can settle up between each other.
Mari, fortunately sometimes this has happened in the past. :) When someone has posted (or contacted me) about having a room open and someone needed a room, then the people were able to connect and work it out. That's why it's good to keep the communication lines open, either here or somewhere else.

Back