Gaston's information update

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Just talked to Gaston’s to get more information for y’all.

Bill, there is no Sam’s nearby. Sorry. Wal-Mart is ½ hour away in Flippin. The one in Mt. Home is a bit farther.

The nearest grocery store is in Bull Shoals (5 minutes away) and they will take you or give you the van.

If your room or cottage has a kitchen, then it has a grill. They have several portable Webber grills they will let you use too.

The food in the main office includes chips and dip and snack food and small containers of milk (no bread).

They have beverages for sale including beer (Bud, Busch, Miller, Coors, Michelob Ultra and Fat Tire). Wines are available also, including White Zin and sparkling wine. For the wine list go here (several of these are for sale at the main office): http://www.gastons.com/menu/wine.htm

They do have a bar and they serve drinks in the restaurant.

Tom, Toby, Carol Hays and I and maybe other miscellaneous people are in Cottage #73. We do have a deck. Y’all are invited to come over anytime. :)

I’ll give my cell phone number by email for those who want to keep in touch after I get down there. It will be good to keep track of where you flyers are out there on your way across the country. If several are coming in at once to the paved airports we’ll try to consolidate rides into Gaston’s.

Anybody bringing a computer to Gaston's?

What am I forgetting?

Last edited:
Diana said:
Anybody bringing a computer to Gaston's?

Good info Diana, thanks! I'll be bringing my laptop with me. Its a piece, and requires an external power source (ie - electricity), but if it comes down to it y'all are welcome to use it.

Well, I suppose that if we wanted to do a cookout and we could tell on Sat AM that the weather was OK, a couple of folks could make a trip to Sam's or Costco before saddling up.

Now, how much does 50 pounds of burgers, steaks and ribs weigh?

wsuffa said:
Well, I suppose that if we wanted to do a cookout and we could tell on Sat AM that the weather was OK, a couple of folks could make a trip to Sam's or Costco before saddling up.

Now, how much does 50 pounds of burgers, steaks and ribs weigh?

Is that a trick question?

NickDBrennan said:
Good info Diana, thanks! I'll be bringing my laptop with me. Its a piece, and requires an external power source (ie - electricity), but if it comes down to it y'all are welcome to use it.
Nick,

I think you'll also want to bring about 75 miles of Cat 5 cable so we can access the internet. :) I have to stand in the middle of the runway with one leg up and a metal rod in my hand to get my cell phone to work at Gaston's. Do they have wireless?

Ron Levy said:
Fat Tire Ale? MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm......
I went "Huh?" when she told me that one. She said it's "the latest thing!" Well, I wish they had Moosehead instead, but, maybe it's time to try something new. :)

Guess I need to see if I can get some Shiner....

Fat Tire is good, though...

gibbons said:
Nick,

I think you'll also want to bring about 75 miles of Cat 5 cable so we can access the internet. :) I have to stand in the middle of the runway with one leg up and a metal rod in my hand to get my cell phone to work at Gaston's. Do they have wireless?

Well crap. I suppose I could sign up for one of those free months of AOL or something so I'll at least have email access....

I got online somehow last year. I think it was some sleight of hand using the phone line, maybe they have another means now.

wsuffa said:
Guess I need to see if I can get some Shiner....

Fat Tire is good, though...
I'm bringing Blue Point. It comes in a bunch of flavors -- I'll try and get Howling Bastard. (Am I allowed to write that here?)

Toby said:
I'm bringing Blue Point. It comes in a bunch of flavors -- I'll try and get Howling Bastard. (Am I allowed to write that here?)
It's a good thing we're bringing two airplanes. It might be tough doing rolls in the Citabria on the way to Gaston's with all that beer in back. ;)

Diana,

Where are all of the planes going to park. I'm not sure the parking area will hold all of these planes. I 'm sure they have an "over run" area, just hope its not on the end of the runway.
Ron

rclark said:
Diana,
Where are all of the planes going to park. I'm not sure the parking area will hold all of these planes. I 'm sure they have an "over run" area, just hope its not on the end of the runway.
Ron
Hey Ron, I'm glad you're coming. :)

Several of the airplanes coming will be staying at the paved airports, so not everyone will be landing at Gaston's.

You might want to check out this thread where we talked about ground ops. Scroll down to #13 for Steve's summary.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1745

Hope to see ya there!

Diana said:
Well, I wish they had Moosehead instead, :)

Ahhh, a real Canadian beer! I wish I'd thought of it and picked up a case of XXX the last time I was home. It's always a big hit with Americans.

NickDBrennan said:
I assume you mean Shiner Bock (or Boch)....its not local, we have it here too - its just not as popular as most little knowns.

It's local in the sense that it's made in Shiner, Texas, which is about 40-50 miles east of San Antonio. Not widely distributed....

You guys are killing me with the beers! Local bock beer and a great sounding amber Belgian Ale? And I can't make it! Damn! Maybe next year. I assume that we all that cannot make this trip are going to hear stories, see pics, etc? I expect to be fully briefed on any drunken revelry therein, so that I can live vicariously through the stories.

Jim G

bstratt said:
Ahhh, a real Canadian beer! I wish I'd thought of it and picked up a case of XXX the last time I was home. It's always a big hit with Americans.
Moosehead is soooooooo smooooooooth. :yes:

Funny thing, we couldn't get it in some of the places we stopped in Canada a few years ago.

I have access to mexican beer if anyone is interested. I don't care for Corona or Dos X's but maybe some northerner at Gastons would appreciate some

Let'sgoflying! said:
I have access to mexican beer if anyone is interested. I don't care for Corona or Dos X's but maybe some northerner at Gastons would appreciate some
That sounds good.

The judges will add points for beer.

Jann and I aren't going to be there due to a memorial service for her dad. See ya all next year.

I've been to that WalMart in Flippen. It's standard issue even if it is in Arkansas.

Quiz, BTW, the Flippen airport is at the corporate home of what good ol' company?

Diana said:
Moosehead is soooooooo smooooooooth. :yes:

Funny thing, we couldn't get it in some of the places we stopped in Canada a few years ago.

Made in New Brunswick so its primarily found in the Eastern provinces. The farther west you go the more unlikely to find it.

mikea said:
Jann and I aren't going to be there due to a memorial service for her dad. See ya all next year.

I've been to that WalMart in Flippen. It's standard issue even if it is in Arkansas.

Quiz, BTW, the Flippen airport is at the corporate home of what good ol' company?
Ranger Boats.

Several of you folks have mentioned the score cards, which, if I understand correctly will present the pilot with a landing score between 0 and 10. Within that context, is there a "degree of difficulty" factor applied, or is this a simple scoring that fails to account for additional factors? IOW, shouldn't there be one or more "k-factors" applied to the score to account for varying difficulty? Form? Style? Aircraft/passenger/pilot induced handicapping? Within the context of difficulty, isn't only fair to award a point multiplier for the pilot who must land while the co-pilot behaves in a most distracting manor, for example, repeatedly screaming, "We're gonna die! We're gonna die!" Should style be considered? Doesn't a J-3 Cub deserve a larger point multiplier for ultimate style? After all, Gaston's is a grass strip.

I believe each pilot should be awarded a k-factor (to be multiplied by the landing score) that takes into account all of the various factors. Within aircraft k-factors, a C172 might earn a k-factor of 1.0. Perhaps any tail-dragger merits a k-factor of 2.0. A Baron merits 3.0; being less blessed with excess power, a Cougar merits 4.0. Screaming passengers increases the k-factor of a particular aircraft, the docile golden retriever as sole passenger reduces the k-factor (the dog obviously assisted the pilot).

Then we come to k-factor for a Mooney. Y'all said it is impossible. Total folly. Mooney and grass? No way. Given such widely held truths, I believe a k-factor of 20 sounds appropriate, right? :rofl:

Ed Guthrie said:
Several of you folks have mentioned the score cards, which, if I understand correctly will present the pilot with a landing score between 0 and 10. Within that context, is there a "degree of difficulty" factor applied, or is this a simple scoring that fails to account for additional factors? IOW, shouldn't there be one or more "k-factors" applied to the score to account for varying difficulty? Form? Style? Aircraft/passenger/pilot induced handicapping? Within the context of difficulty, isn't only fair to award a point multiplier for the pilot who must land while the co-pilot behaves in a most distracting manor, for example, repeatedly screaming, "We're gonna die! We're gonna die!" Should style be considered? Doesn't a J-3 Cub deserve a larger point multiplier for ultimate style? After all, Gaston's is a grass strip.

I believe each pilot should be awarded a k-factor (to be multiplied by the landing score) that takes into account all of the various factors. Within aircraft k-factors, a C172 might earn a k-factor of 1.0. Perhaps any tail-dragger merits a k-factor of 2.0. A Baron merits 3.0; being less blessed with excess power, a Cougar merits 4.0. Screaming passengers increases the k-factor of a particular aircraft, the docile golden retriever as sole passenger reduces the k-factor (the dog obviously assisted the pilot).

Then we come to k-factor for a Mooney. Y'all said it is impossible. Total folly. Mooney and grass? No way. Given such widely held truths, I believe a k-factor of 20 sounds appropriate, right? :rofl:
Oh, my. :eek:

Let's see.

How would you factor in the "rumor" (would that be r-factor?) that the main judges can be bribed (b-factor?) I hear that Toby likes chocolate and that the ultimate for Diana would a ride in somebody else's airplane.

Does the proposed k-factor of 20 mean that a certain Mooney pilot will have screaming passengers AND (or due to) a dog co-pilot AND be preoccupied with dispelling myths of a Mooney's aversion to/contrariness with grass?

I’m wondering if a low-winged, tricycle gear airplane can get much above a 7 on a landing? Of course, unless the PIC is a woman, then it more than likely will be an automatic 10.

Now there is an appeal process. It will also have a b-factor. :yes:

Diana said:
Now there is an appeal process. It will also have a b-factor. :yes:

And will that appeal b-factor involve a lot of Moosehead?

Ed Guthrie said:
snip
the pilot who must land while the co-pilot behaves in a most distracting manor, for example, repeatedly screaming, "We're gonna die! We're gonna die!" snip

Oh.... I thought that was routine for every landing. Are you saying that it may just be my wife and kid that do that?

The 10 day forcasts are out....
prec1.png

Michael

Ed Guthrie said:

Oh man, Ed, this scorecard has a whole alphabet of factors. I've been working on it for weeks, and it's been

Numerated, calibrated,
atomized and pulverized.
Carbonated, fumigated,
modified and ratified.
Modulated, contemplated
randomized and concentrated.
Supersized and memorized
-- EVERYTHING BUT PLAGIARIZED!

Good luck!!
You don't make the grade, you gotta go back and do it again!

although i agree with ed, I believe us mooney pilots are above you little high wingers, and need a seperate score card. :)

Ed Guthrie said:

I agree with Ed 100%. While the screaming passenger does, in fact, increase the k-factor, I'm more interested in the K factor for an airplane in which forward visibility during landing is nill and the pilot is screaming, "We're going to die!! We're going to die!!!" I'm thinking k-factor of 25 is appropriate.

Ed Guthrie said:
Several of you folks have mentioned the score cards, which, if I understand correctly will present the pilot with a landing score between 0 and 10. Within that context, is there a "degree of difficulty" factor applied, or is this a simple scoring that fails to account for additional factors?

I have a question, if someone comes through downwind with the mains just touching the tops of the tall grass blade with the coal poured on, cut the thottle at the end of the runway and haul back for a nice vertical, pop in a little throttle and kick a hammerhead, transitioning out of the downline into a nice three point landing, would that be a good thing or bad?

Am I picking up some performance anxiety here? Each landing will be decided on its own merits. I suggest you all go out and do what Eamon's doing -- practice.

gibbons said:
I agree with Ed 100%. While the screaming passenger does, in fact, increase the k-factor, I'm more interested in the K factor for an airplane in which forward visibility during landing is nill and the pilot is screaming, "We're going to die!! We're going to die!!!" I'm thinking k-factor of 25 is appropriate.

Much as I'm Mooney biased, the man has a decent argument.

Toby said:
Am I picking up some performance anxiety here? Each landing will be decided on its own merits. I suggest you all go out and do what Eamon's doing -- practice.
Easy to say if you're riding along enjoying the view :)

Back