Gaston's information update

Henning said:
I have a question, if someone comes through downwind with the mains just touching the tops of the tall grass blade with the coal poured on, cut the thottle at the end of the runway and haul back for a nice vertical, pop in a little throttle and kick a hammerhead, transitioning out of the downline into a nice three point landing, would that be a good thing or bad?
As usual, that would depend on who is watching.

Toby said:
Am I picking up some performance anxiety here? Each landing will be decided on its own merits. I suggest you all go out and do what Eamon's doing -- practice.

Eamon's practicing??? Has he forgotten how to fly the 150?

Let'sgoflying! said:
Bribing judges is my only hope... I wonder what a large bottle of Jose Cuervo would get me.

Patron might get you somewhere, however....

Ed Guthrie said:
Then we come to k-factor for a Mooney. Y'all said it is impossible. Total folly. Mooney and grass? No way. Given such widely held truths, I believe a k-factor of 20 sounds appropriate, right? :rofl:

Only if you get grass stains on both blades of the prop. And the grass DNA has to match what's growing at Gaston's.

Henning said:
I have a question, if someone comes through downwind with the mains just touching the tops of the tall grass blade with the coal poured on, cut the thottle at the end of the runway and haul back for a nice vertical, pop in a little throttle and kick a hammerhead, transitioning out of the downline into a nice three point landing, would that be a good thing or bad?
I can't help but wonder if Henning has some first-hand knowledge of this type of thing? ;)

lancefisher said:
Only if you get grass stains on both blades of the prop. And the grass DNA has to match what's growing at Gaston's.

Would you settle for a time/date stamped photo showing a clean prop at departure? How about an inspection/observer who travels the last leg? Pretty much a certainty that after landing and taxi to the tie-down spot at Gaston's there will be grass stains on both blade tips.

mikea said:
Jann and I aren't going to be there due to a memorial service for her dad. See ya all next year.

I've been to that WalMart in Flippen. It's standard issue even if it is in Arkansas.

Quiz, BTW, the Flippen airport is at the corporate home of what good ol' company?
Ranger Bass Boats!!!!!

Re: Scoring Hints

Steve said:
As much as I would like to participate directly in the judging at Gaston's I personally will be strictly limiting my involvement to making completely objective suggestions through subtle hand gestures and short verbal remarks to the panel of experts actually issuing scores, and therefore will be completely immune to any schemes of bribery or sedition.

And for those concerned about weighting factors and score normalization, keep in mind:

Taildragger pilots, as a group, consider themselves far superior in the skillful manipulation of any aircraft throughout the landing phase, particularly on grass, and will be judged accordingly. When you aviate to a higher standard, thereby ye be judged.

Pilots with "aerial application" experience will be expected to demonstrate normal piloting skills while approaching to land under the power lines in order to even the playing field (as opposed to spraying the landing field).

Ex-fighter pilots can gain a favorable scoring coefficient by demonstrating a "tactical approach" akin to those employed by transports (C-130, C-17, etc.) wherein the steepness of the final approach and shortness of the ground roll is directly proportional to the weighting factor (you never know if there may be deer hunters in the vicinity of the runway). Use of reverse thrust is not only permitted, but encouraged.

Aircraft with higher horsepower will be scored on a sliding scale which is a reciprocal function of the observed distance slid after ground contact factoring in the installed horsepower with twins eligible to receive an exponential scoring factor. Any aircraft observed sliding into the judges' table will automatically be disqualified.

Any aircraft contacting the runway with any structural component other than the factory/builder installed landing gear will be banned from participating in any future competitive judging - landings, take-offs, or aerobatics. The pilot, on the other hand, will be eligible for a free beer.

The difficulty of scoring a helicopter's obvious manuevering advantage will take into account the pilot's observed physical and mental dexterity. This should effectively eliminate any serious competition from the rotorcraft category.

There will be other non-disclosed criteria formulated as time draws nearer to the actual event. B)

Steve, sometimes you leave me speechless! You certainly are the "Grand Poobah" of our fly-in.

I am shooting for a 10, but i probably settle for a 4 haaha

Rudy said:
I am shooting for a 10, but i probably settle for a 4 haaha
Rudy, I think you get extra credit since it will be on your birthday. :)

Back