Gaston's Ground School?

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
I am wondering if one of our esteemed instructors (or someone who has really studied this topic) could do a short ground school on the interpretation and use of...SkewT LogP diagrams:hairraise:.

Me four. In fact I dropped it as an idea to Scott D., but I don't think he'll be doing it this year.

I get the impression he does not do anything he doesn't really want to do. :)
No doubt about that. :)

This reminds me of a discussion we had a few years ago about having a Wings Weekend during the Gaston's fly-in.

BTW, if this happens, we can add it to the list of scheduled events and I'll post it on the other forums. :)

Add me to the list- they are utter Greek to me, and it appears I am missing a lot.

I get the impression he does not do anything he doesn't really want to do. :)

Quite- luckily for us, from much of what he wants to do, the rest of us enjoy and benefit...

I have Scott D's CDROM presentation on this and could show it on a projector (which I don't have). IIRC the whole thing takes about 1.5 hrs and you can't shorten it because the fundamentals (first half of the presentation) must be understood to be able to grasp the useful techniques applicable to flying (second half).

And while I'm certain I don't have Bruce's mastery of the subject I do understand it reasonably well.

-lance

I've attended Scott's class on this, and I agree it would be great if we could do this. We'd need Scott's permission to show the program in a "public" forum, of course. Might be best to take that request offline, so as not to put him on the spot. ;-)

I've attended Scott's class on this, and I agree it would be great if we could do this. We'd need Scott's permission to show the program in a "public" forum, of course. Might be best to take that request offline, so as not to put him on the spot. ;-)

I'm not certain that Scott's permission is required if nothing is charged (The CDROM only says that "all rights are reserved") but Scott had no problem with me showing the presentation at the Baron Simcom session this spring. I suspect that he'd wisely conclude that if several people see the presentation some will want to purchase their own copy for future review.

I'm not certain that Scott's permission is required if nothing is charged (The CDROM only says that "all rights are reserved") but Scott had no problem with me showing the presentation at the Baron Simcom session this spring. I suspect that he'd wisely conclude that if several people see the presentation some will want to purchase their own copy for future review.

I am bringing the projector for PoA's Gaston's Movie Night Under The Stars- I cannot imagine a better use for it!

I suspect that he'd wisely conclude that if several people see the presentation some will want to purchase their own copy for future review.

Yeah, like me--I've attended the class and spent all day on the subject with him, and I still need to review it. I have a feeling it's one of those "if you're not doing it all the time" you lose the analytical edge.

I do like one of Scott's recent suggestions in IFR magazine... "chair flying" the weather for flights you don't actually intend to take... just pick a route and altitude, then look at the reports/forecasts, figure out what you think will happen, take notes as to WHY you think things will be. At the "time" of the flight, watch METARS and PIREPS for the area, radar, etc. See how "close" you were, with the aim to refine your technique.

What movie are we seeing, and what night?

Spike, It sounds like you've enough video to fill Friday AND Saturday nights. Would it be of any value to bring "Big Rocks, Long Props"? (A video of Bush Pilot sandbar landings.)

Bring anything and everything- we'll show whatever the mood and the moment calls for, and that sounds like a lot of fun to me.

If Tony doesn't Bring it, I'll have the Sunship Games with me.

Bee Gees + Soaring + 70's babes. What more do you need :)

If Tony doesn't Bring it, I'll have the Sunship Games with me.

Bee Gees + Soaring + 70's babes. What more do you need :)

Chris Uhl has my copy. You bring it, I think it'd be an excellent movie to show at Gastons.

I just got a neat link froam a soaring buddy of mine.

It allows you to view a myriad of sounding data and forecasts. you can Even get Skew-T forcasts up to 84 Hours into the future. It is a bit fiddly to navigate though.

http://www.arl.noaa.gov/ready/cmet.html

To get to the Skew-T info enter your location on the first page, and click continue.
The next page shows you all of the available products. Skew-T data is in the soundings drop down menu. Pick your favorite model (I tend to use the 40KM ROC), and on the next page you can select the time period, and other factors.

Another Good link is http://www.southerneaglessoaring.com/storms.html This one is mainly focused on Soaring weather, but has lots of good WX links.

I just got a neat link froam a soaring buddy of mine.

It allows you to view a myriad of sounding data and forecasts. you can Even get Skew-T forcasts up to 84 Hours into the future. It is a bit fiddly to navigate though.

http://www.arl.noaa.gov/ready/cmet.html

To get to the Skew-T info enter your location on the first page, and click continue.
The next page shows you all of the available products. Skew-T data is in the soundings drop down menu. Pick your favorite model (I tend to use the 40KM ROC), and on the next page you can select the time period, and other factors.
Looks good, but you're right, the interface leaves something to be desired. Like it asks for the 4-letter ICAO code, but only accepts the 3-letter FAA code for the station! And I think Scott recommended using the RUC-20, didn't he?

Back