Gaston's fuel

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Gaston's fuel is currently $5.24. I called KBPK, Ozark Regional Airport at Mountain Home to see about our group discount, but won't know how much of a discount they will give us until I talk to the guy in charge of that on Monday.

There is a self serve fuel pump at BPK that is completely separate from the FBO, and I don't know if their price on AirNav is current or if they even have fuel right now.

Part of the airport at KBPK is still restricted because of the TSA that isn't there for the commercial airline that isn't there :dunno: so if you want to go to the terminal building to the Subway you have to walk over there outside the gate which the guy said is about 1/4 mile.

Part of the airport at KBPK is still restricted because of the TSA that isn't there for the commercial airline that isn't there :dunno: so if you want to go to the terminal building to the Subway you have to walk over there outside the gate which the guy said is about 1/4 mile.
I believe that the ramp is only a restricted area when there's actually a plane parked there. Since there's no airline service, there won't be a plane, and the ramp won't be off limits. But who knows...

I believe that the ramp is only a restricted area when there's actually a plane parked there. Since there's no airline service, there won't be a plane, and the ramp won't be off limits. But who knows...
Well, Tom was taking a walk around the apron last year and he got stopped and told it was off-limits...there were no planes there and there was no airline service. The guy at the FBO just told me today that the area is still off-limits.

Well, Tom was taking a walk around the apron last year and he got stopped and told it was off-limits...there were no planes there and there was no airline service. The guy at the FBO just told me today that the area is still off-limits.
I'm not surprised. The TSA etc. don't know their own regulations.

That said, I heard this from someone else, so I don't know if/how it applies. I'm curious now, though, so I'll look it up.

-Felix

The guy at the FBO said because they are Part 139 they have to keep it off-limits. He said since we were there last year there is better signage and they painted double yellow lines.

I'm curious now, though, so I'll look it up.
Or, you could run around over there and see if anybody chases you. :yes: ;) :D

Hi Diana! I talked to John at KBPK today, and he said that when you call Danny on Tuesday, they'll be able to tell you more. He was thinking 25-30 cents discount based on the 20 pilots you mentioned... if there are more (30-40), he can do more than that! So I guess we need to know how many folks plan to buy fuel at KBPK?

I retrieved fuel prices from the managers at each of the poker run stops too, here they are. Be aware that prices are "as of today".

[ROW][CELL] Airport [/CELL][CELL] 5/23 100LL price [/CELL][CELL] Comments [/CELL][/ROW]
[ROW][CELL] KHRO - Boone County[/CELL][CELL]$5.80 full serve, $5.60 self serve (24 hour)[/CELL][CELL]They have plenty of fuel. Self serve is 24 hours by credit card. 24 hour service (on-call) is available. They keep a 1000-1500 gallon reserve[/CELL][/ROW]
[ROW][CELL] KPLK - Taney County[/CELL][CELL]$5.25[/CELL][/ROW]
[ROW][CELL] KFLP - Marion County[/CELL][CELL]$5.32[/CELL][CELL]8000 gal. underground tank[/CELL][/ROW]
[ROW][CELL] KBPK - Ozark Regional / Mountain Home[/CELL][CELL]$5.46, CONFIRMED 40 cent/gallon discount[/CELL][CELL]20,000 gallon fuel load coming in Tuesday, expects it to last until the 15th of June. Price will change from $5.46 once new load comes in. They will have a fish bowl with "prizes" for pilots that fuel there--cards will have $5 free fuel, $10 free fuel, a quart of oil, etc. ALSO will have free lemonade and popcorn and snacks for Gaston's fly-in pilots. Rental cars are available (Enterprise), just call ahead.[/CELL][/ROW]
Mark Parent, airport manager at Taney County (KPLK) in Hollister, MO, asks that next year we give him advance notice and let him bid on fuel discounts, too. It's too close to the event to do this year, but seeing as we have so many arrive from that "north quadrant", it would be worth including him.

Oh, and Diana, this'll make your day. John at Mountain Home kept saying "I talked with the young lady from your group the other day, Diana Richards"... :) Ain't he sweet?!?! And he's RIGHT, too!

Last edited:
Hi Diana! I talked to John at KBPK today, and he said that when you call Danny on Tuesday, they'll be able to tell you more. He was thinking 25-30 cents discount based on the 20 pilots you mentioned... if there are more (30-40), he can do more than that! So I guess we need to know how many folks plan to buy fuel at KBPK?
Well, he didn't really know how much of a discount that Danny would give us...he told me to call Danny on Monday (yep, poor guy will be working Memorial Day). I also told him that we could have up to 30 airplanes getting fuel there, but that we really couldn't tell him ahead of time because there are so many factors involved....who knows. :dunno: :) I'm not going to commit fueling our airplane ahead of time.

It's too close to the event to do this year, but seeing as we have so many arrive from that "north quadrant", it would be worth including him.
Guess who just volunteered to be in charge of fuel discounts next year. :D

Oh, and Diana, this'll make your day. John at Mountain Home kept saying "I talked with the young lady from your group the other day, Diana Richards"... :) Ain't he sweet?!?! And he's RIGHT, too!
How sweet! Funny how you can't see wrinkles over the phone. :rofl:

The guy at the FBO said because they are Part 139 they have to keep it off-limits. He said since we were there last year there is better signage and they painted double yellow lines.
Well, I expect the FBO to know what they've been told by the TSA, which almost never has any clue what they're talking about. I would be very surprised if a ramp at a public use airport without active airline service and without any plane on the ramp would truly be off limits. But who knows.

Or, you could run around over there and see if anybody chases you. :yes: ;) :D
Maybe I will. Since I'm officially a "foreign aviation official" as determined by the FAA's assistant director for something I forget, I don't think I'd have any issues ;) :rolleyes: :D

Well, I expect the FBO to know what they've been told by the TSA, which almost never has any clue what they're talking about. I would be very surprised if a ramp at a public use airport without active airline service and without any plane on the ramp would truly be off limits. But who knows.
It has to do with Part 139, specifically 139.329

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraf...y/part139_cert/media/part139_wcorrections.pdf

I think if they are out of compliance at any time even if there are no airplanes there, then the FAA gets ticked off.

Maybe I will. Since I'm officially a "foreign aviation official" as determined by the FAA's assistant director for something I forget, I don't think I'd have any issues ;) :rolleyes: :D
Well, then, maybe you could volunteer to do something official at Gaston's. ;)

If I recall..even after the discount..the self serve fuel at mountain home was significantly lower than the FBO discount provided fuel. I don't think many of us took advantage of the discount as I saw everyone doing the self serve.

The only snafu with the self serve is the FBO gets a burr under their saddle if you try and use the facilities. Can't say I blame them but it creates an awkward situation none the less.

It has to do with Part 139, specifically 139.329

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraf...y/part139_cert/media/part139_wcorrections.pdf

I think if they are out of compliance at any time even if there are no airplanes there, then the FAA gets ticked off.
I don't see anything in that section that implies that I couldn't taxi or walk there.

Well, then, maybe you could volunteer to do something official at Gaston's. ;)
I'd be more than happy to. Just name it. :)

If I recall..even after the discount..the self serve fuel at mountain home was significantly lower than the FBO discount provided fuel. I don't think many of us took advantage of the discount as I saw everyone doing the self serve.

Plus, I think the Flippin Airport had better flippin prices last year too.

And they don't flippin care if you use their flippin restroom after using the flippin self serve pump.

But they can't do any flippin math.

Lori Benedict from Mountain Home just called me (said she left VM for Diana but wanted to make sure one of us got the message).

BPK will have a 40-cent/gallon discount for POA/Gastons pilots. A fish-bowl of "door prizes" will give you $5 off, $10 off, free quart of oil, etc. Free ice cold lemonade, popcorn and snacks, as well.

Rental cars (Enterprise) are available if any need them--just call ahead and she'll have them waiting.

I don't see anything in that section that implies that I couldn't taxi or walk there.

Felix, I've attached a photo...the end of the red arrow is where it is off limits. This is the location of the commercial terminal building. If you want to know more, please call the BPK FBO and they will explain it to you better than I can.

FBO PHONE - 870-481-5966

Attachments

• BPK.JPG
    BPK.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 31

That said, I heard this from someone else, so I don't know if/how it applies. I'm curious now, though, so I'll look it up.

-Felix
The guy who hassled Tom from a golf cart was the airport manager.

According to the owner at the FBO they were going to get regular flights to Little Rock. Dunno if it ever happened.

The airport is trying to put the FBO out of business which is why they put in the self-serve pump with a lower fuel price. Consider that if you fuel at BPK. Consider that when you go to BPK one day in the future and can't find a ramp to stop on or a building you can enter.

I bought my fuel from the FBO. Nice guy.

Also, the mechanic next door adjusted my door for free. I threw the guy a $10.

I've been to FLP earlier. Nice place but smaller.

ALSO will have free lemonade and popcorn and snacks for POA pilots.

Troy, thank you for that nice table. :)

I hate to be a PITA, but I just want to reiterate that not all pilots at the fly-in are "PoA pilots". I told them that we are the Gaston's Fly-in pilots (not from any specific forum).

Troy, thank you for that nice table. :)

I hate to be a PITA, but I just want to reiterate that not all pilots at the fly-in are "PoA pilots". I told them that we are the Gaston's Fly-in pilots (not from any specific forum).

Ah, good point! Corrected!

The guy who hassled Tom from a golf cart was the airport manager.

According to the owner at the FBO they were going to get regular flights to Little Rock. Dunno if it ever happened.

The airport is trying to put the FBO out of business which is why they put in the self-serve pump with a lower fuel price. Consider that if you fuel at BPK. Consider that when you go to BPK one day in the future and can't find a ramp to stop on or a building you can enter.

I bought my fuel from the FBO. Nice guy.

Also, the mechanic next door adjusted my door for free. I threw the guy a $10.

I've been to FLP earlier. Nice place but smaller.
We stopped there too and paid the higher price for fuel because we really needed to watch the weather heading out of there. I also asked to purchase instrument plates, and they handed me the book to keep, gratis! Nice folks.

That's how it is here, RKD, BHB, and LEB. I'm pretty sure we're part 139 certified, and there's a big yellow line around the AOA (airline operating area) with signs that say "No Aircraft Parking" - I keep telling the captains not to park there, but they do anyways. As long as our plane isn't there, though, folks from the FBO can walk in and out of our terminal door and taxi across our ramp all they want. As soon as the plane touches down, though, the AOA is off limits to anyone without a company or airport ID, and no one is supposed to taxi through it but us. I'd bet the rules are the same, just enforced differently at the airport in question (no one really knows the rules here, but that's what the airport manager told us one day).

Yep. BTW, are you coming to Gaston's?

Can you believe, Diana, that he'd miss Gaton's for a little thing like his honeymoon? :rofl:

Spike, obviously his priorities are messed up, his wedding isnt even until the next week

I'd bet the rules are the same, just enforced differently at the airport in question (no one really knows the rules here, but that's what the airport manager told us one day).
That's exactly my point. I believe there aren't any specific rules that say that you can't taxi there or walk there. At least none I've seen. And I really don't like people who feel that they can arbitrarily enforce rules that don't actually exist. I'm sure that the FBO at BPK _thinks_ that they're enforcing some rules, but a) they've got no enforcement powers and b) they aren't enforcing rules that actually exist.

Felix, I've attached a photo...the end of the red arrow is where it is off limits. This is the location of the commercial terminal building. If you want to know more, please call the BPK FBO and they will explain it to you better than I can.

FBO PHONE - 870-481-5966
Diana, I absolutely believe you that the FBO thinks this. I don't truly care, however, because the FBO doesn't have any authority to enforce anything and there's nothing to enforce.

-Felix

Unfortunately, no Diana. It's true, Spike, my wedding isn't even for another week, but I think the fiance would beat me senseless if I left the week before it. Now next year, OTOH...it's just an anniversary, I can skip out the weekend before it!

...And I really don't like people who feel that they can arbitrarily enforce rules that don't actually exist. I'm sure that the FBO at BPK _thinks_ that they're enforcing some rules, but a) they've got no enforcement powers and b) they aren't enforcing rules that actually exist.

Diana, I absolutely believe you that the FBO thinks this. I don't truly care, however, because the FBO doesn't have any authority to enforce anything and there's nothing to enforce.

Enforcing rules that don't exist is the very foundation of TSA, and bad cops.

When challenged the TSA will reply that they officially have rules that any agent cam make a determination as they choose...you know, the highly educated, wordly, well-trained highly experienced TSA gate agents that for example, had never heard of a Macbook Air and just knew that something that small just has to be dangerous! :dunno:

Last edited:
I believe there aren't any specific rules that say that you can't taxi there or walk there. At least none I've seen. And I really don't like people who feel that they can arbitrarily enforce rules that don't actually exist. I'm sure that the FBO at BPK _thinks_ that they're enforcing some rules, but a) they've got no enforcement powers and b) they aren't enforcing rules that actually exist.

-Felix
Felix, I started a thread about this on the red board for you. :) Maybe we will get more clarification/discussion over there.

Can you believe, Diana, that he'd miss Gaton's for a little thing like his honeymoon? :rofl:
Oops, I forgot about that.

We flew way up into Canada in our Skyhawk for our honeymoon. But then we also got married in a hangar in front of our airplane too. :D

Oops, I forgot about that.

We flew way up into Canada in our Skyhawk for our honeymoon. But then we also got married in a hangar in front of our airplane too. :D

Maybe you should talk to my fiance...convince her it's a good idea!! :goofy:

When we flew to Gastons 2 yrs back, fueled 50 miles east at KCVK Sharp County Ash Flat, AR. Very quiet self service, lowest at the time. Shows $4.20 on 100ll and Airnav.

Departing Gastons light in the heat is a good thing.

PS Any spare rooms to share, considering a return trip?

Back