Gastons Departure Thread

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I'll be departing in the morning (Wednesday). Will post runway conditions. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

I'll be there late Friday morning or early afternoon. Looking forward to seeing all.

Best,

Dave

We're leaving in the morning for Ruidoso, NM! A circuitous route to Gastons, but it'll be fun!

Arriving Friday afternoon..

Tommy and I currently plan on departing tomorrow (Thursday) mid-morning. Can't wait to see you all!

Runway is very dry and firm. Also seemed very smooth. Staff is very friendly and the restraunt food was good. We're in 65.

Excellent. Thanks for the update, Jesse. I'm departing Friday morning, should be there before 11 AM, "Cessna 52H".

Me too! Planning on lunch and the outlet mall in Branson and then flying the poker run stops in the afternoon. :D Then 3M0 in time for Happy Hour!! :yes:

Not certain, but I'm going to try and drop in for a short while Saturday. Depends on how my hip is acting. Very sore if I stand on it; fine after awhile sitting. Who knows?

What you're missing so far...

Looking down the runway, dry firm and smooth.
01.jpg

Run to the Flippin Walmart for supplies
02.jpg

Racing around the curvy roads...
03.jpg

Looking over the dam
04.jpg

If you choose to drive - this is your entrance..
05.jpg

Danielle mixing up some kind of adult drink.
06.jpg

38J ready for a sunset flight
07.jpg

Buzzing around the lake
08.jpg

Sunset
09.jpg

Some more lake flying
10.jpg

Gastons from the air
11.jpg

It's not too late, jump in your airplane, and come on down/up :)

Man I'd love to fly out and meet you guys and put some faces with names. It would get my commercial 250 out of the way for sure, but I lack the capital...maybe next year!

Nice pics! The runway looks like it's in great condition!

I see you went to the Flippin Wal-Mart. I usually prefer the Dang K-Mart, myself. :D

Man, it's weird seeing so few planes on the field! Thanks for the update, Jesse. Y'all have fun down there now, ya hear?

That does so beckon.

Sure does and I've been toying with the idea of dropping by for a few hours. But with the forecast of strong storms along the whole route every day through the weekend, and a lazy front sitting between here and there, I'm definitely out.

Sure does and I've been toying with the idea of dropping by for a few hours. But with the forecast of strong storms along the whole route every day through the weekend, and a lazy front sitting between here and there, I'm definitely out.

Oh, that's no fun! Where's the adventuring spirit?

(Forecasts do not weather make. LOL)

I was going to make a surprise appearance, but I have to be back here Saturday morning.

Greetings from Pedro San Sula, Honduras. The good news is that the air conditioners here work very well.

Y'all be careful, now, y'hear?

Tommy and I currently plan on departing tomorrow (Thursday) mid-morning. Can't wait to see you all!

Hey Spike, did you, by chance, depart ADS today around about noon-ish (from runway 15, behind a Piaggio)?

You guys have a great time, stay cool/eat & drink well/fly safe/watch for ticks....and stay off that dam!

Attachments

• Gaston'sHereWeCome not.JPG
    Gaston'sHereWeCome not.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 35
I'm on my way to Prague, CZ Saturday, so Sue and I will miss this year. Have a great time everybody; fly safely; and don't do anything I wouldn't do.

Oh, that's no fun! Where's the adventuring spirit?
Adventure takes a back seat to responsibility in this girl's life. Gotta be back by Monday morning, and Sunday looks like the only flyable day between now and then. If things change, so can my plans.

(Forecasts do not weather make. LOL)
No but this system isn't an unknown coming in from the west coast -- it's already brewed up a supercell in central IL today. It just doesn't look like it's headed out anytime soon.

Hey Spike, did you, by chance, depart ADS today around about noon-ish (from runway 15, behind a Piaggio)?

That was me...

...I shoulda taken the "pass you by" clearance to takeoff while you waited for your release, but I was not entirely comfy with spacing there.

Did you really have an IFR flight plan to Love? :D

That was me...

...I shoulda taken the "pass you by" clearance to takeoff while you waited for your release, but I was not entirely comfy with spacing there.

Teller can't remember how to fly VFR :)

That was me...

I thought so! I didn't figure there could be THAT many people in a Bo in ADS going to Gastons.

I think even if you had made it around our main wing you would have had trouble getting around the forward wing. We were parked kind of awkwardly. I was just about to key up and offer to move into the Atlantic ramp when he said he had a release for us...then we sat for another 20 mins. Go figure.

YES, we filed. Not my idea. But in his defense, we don't do a whole lot of VFR...we get scared if we have to think about airspace!

How was the ride to Gastons?

Last edited:
Rumor at Addison is they're going to have to re-paint the taxiway centerlines because these folks .in foreign turbines wear them out early! Not usually an issue at a GA airport <g>
I'll be leaving later this morning.

Dave

Rumor at Addison is they're going to have to re-paint the taxiway centerlines because these folks .in foreign turbines wear them out early! Not usually an issue at a GA airport <g>
I'll be leaving later this morning.

Dave

We're coming back through ADS again around 2. If you're around then, come say hi. Otherwise we'll try to get in your way on the taxiway, too :D

You'll be glad to cruise up high. Visibility was about 10-12 in haze due to FU ALFT (smoke). Lots of smokers in Colorado, range fires , or AZ wildfires? Lasted the entire route from FTW to Gastons.

I got here about 10:20am. Runway dry and firm. Parked 52H next to the gas pumps. Lots of open parking at the end. Nobody else on the radio, no POAers in sight, nothing at our usual flight line location.

The rest of y'all show up, let's get this party started.

Oh, and I lost the vacuum pump.approaching Fort Smith...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I got in a little after 2:00. There are several folks here now and the runway conditions are great: firm and dry.

Best,

Dave

I thought so! I didn't figure there could be THAT many people in a Bo in ADS going to Gastons.

I think even if you had made it around our main wing you would have had trouble getting around the forward wing. We were parked kind of awkwardly. I was just about to key up and offer to move into the Atlantic ramp when he said he had a release for us...then we sat for another 20 mins. Go figure.

YES, we filed. Not my idea. But in his defense, we don't do a whole lot of VFR...we get scared if we have to think about airspace!

How was the ride to Gastons?

Flawless - a little hazy at 7500, but cool enough to be comfortable.

Adventure takes a back seat to responsibility in this girl's life. Gotta be back by Monday morning, and Sunday looks like the only flyable day between now and then. If things change, so can my plans.

No but this system isn't an unknown coming in from the west coast -- it's already brewed up a supercell in central IL today. It just doesn't look like it's headed out anytime soon.
"Supercell? Uh.....whad supercell.......buhweat?"

"Supercell? Uh.....whad supercell.......buhweat?"
Maybe I should ignore TWC... they described a "very strong" storm with a hook echo signature that sparked a tornado warning, and I inferred "supercell", apparently wrongly. I can't find any archived radar images other than a loop that does show quite a few storms training through all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7qe7Wxj7nA

It looks to have been mostly north of you, but between me and Gaston's for sure. Not a line I'd want to try finding a way through in a small plane, which was my point.

I'm really disappointed that I will not be able to make the Flyin this year. I have been waiting all year for this and finished my flight plan. However, my plane was put in the shop today due to a carb issue. I have been to Gaston's many times and love it, but have never flew to a flyin at Gaston's. You guys have fun.

Back