Gastons Braille1 Arrival.

Putting on my aviation safety hat for a moment, I need to chide you guys for turning this into a joke. We have been fortunate that BAD THINGS have not happened, but as you know these are the kinds of events where BAD THINGS are more likely to happen because we want to look good in front of an audience of our peers. I personally think the night ops were/are/will be a mistake. "Hey bubba, watch this..."

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Putting on my aviation safety hat for a moment, I need to chide you guys for turning this into a joke. We have been fortunate that BAD THINGS have not happened, but as you know these are the kinds of events where BAD THINGS are more likely to happen because we want to look good in front of an audience of our peers. I personally think the night ops were/are/will be a mistake. "Hey bubba, watch this..."

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

I understand Ken, and Tony and I have said do not attempt this yourself. I think most people are a little bit uneasy coming into Gaston's the first, second, or maybe even the twentieth times, for some people. However, having done night landings at another field that I am intimately familiar with, I knew exactly what I was to expect. While I don't know every single tree at Gaston's like I do at my field, I know exactly where I need to be, at what altitude, where the turn needs to be made, etc. I make my turns well inside the bluff - ask anyone who's been up with me in my plane there - so that was a non issue. I fly my downwind over the powerlines that run along the ridge and cross the rivr to the south - so that is also a non issue. Other than that all that needs to be worried about is some trees and altitude. While there wasn't 80,000megapixel resolution on the approach, there was plenty of contrast between the grass and the trees. While still above the goalpost the landing light (at least in my plane) shines on the grass and really starts to improve the depth perception on how far above the runway you are. Though having just set my altimeter to BPK, I already knew that bit of information. From there it was center the plane between the goalposts and let it fly herself to the runway, and make a normal night landing.

I'm not trying to make it sound like a non event because I certainly don't want anyone else attempting it, especially those that have any bit of discomfort during the day at Gaston's, but honestly, in my plane it really was a non-event, for me. Plus, I had two outs - BPK and FLP - if it ever got uncomfortable. I will say that I would rather make that same landing a thousand times than shoot the GPS approach into Garrett, MD and go missed again like I did last year on the way to Adam's.

This isn't a "hey look what I can do" sort of thing. But I will make the offer to anyone who wants to go up with me - at 6Y9 or at 3M0 next year - and show that it can be done successfully without greatly magnified risk.

agreed with Ed.

The joking was mostly due to the fact that Ed didnt realize that foka4 was Matt.

The pictures make it look like we arrived in pitch blackness. the sight from the cockpit was much different. we still had a little sunlight coming over the horizon and as Ed said, it was very easy to see the contrast between dark and light. as soon as we turned final the landing light very clearly showed where the trees were and where the beginning of the runway was.

I treated the approach similar to an instrument approach in low ceilings. at any point if we were off, lost sight of any part of the runway environment or just didnt feel right, we were to blast out and go to mountain home. matt and I spent a good half hour on the way down briefing about the runway, the approach, and how we would work together to make this landing.

But you are right Ken, its not a topic to joke about. We certainly dont want people think that its recommended or even worse, expected, behavior.

I think....:dunno:

...like ALL things aviation, it's a matter of personal limitations and knowing thyself. Of a hundred flyers, there are probably 4 or 5 who are current, proficient, and comfortable with night-time ops on unlit grass strips; to the extent that for them, the level of risk increase is near negligible.

For ANYONE else, the risk level is simply unacceptable. IMHO;) .

Things that make aviation dangerous are well defined. Night, mountains, bad weather, etc. Night ops in a canyon to an unlit grass strip is just another one of 'those' cumulative conditions which does have its own level of inherent risk.

So, while I'll join you in the most inflammatory of warnings for the 95; I'm comfortable with the others using their best judgement. Certainly something that deserves discussion :yes:

Just curious,

For those that flew in late, how much did the floodlights lighting up the ridge south of the runway help in locating the field/runway in the twilight?

Inquiring minds want to know.

And no, I'm not planning on taking the IAR in there in the dark.

steve - helped a lot. you know how on downwind during the day you can easily lose sight of the runway? well at night you never lose sight of the resort

<ghostly voice> Go to the light... go to the light...

NO, WAIT, SHIFT RIGHT!

Just curious,

For those that flew in late, how much did the floodlights lighting up the ridge south of the runway help in locating the field/runway in the twilight?

Inquiring minds want to know.

And no, I'm not planning on taking the IAR in there in the dark.

The lights for the cottages was actually better than the floods on the river. I could make out the driveway for all the cottages from well over 8-9 miles away. I also came in on a 236° heading, so I was lined up from way out.

coming from the north we could see the cottage lights from a ways out too.

place was almost easier to find at dusk then during the daytime the first time last year.

coming from the north we could see the cottage lights from a ways out too.

place was almost easier to find at dusk then during the daytime the first time last year.

Amen. We were probably the third-latest arrival behind (or in front of?) Ed and the 140. CFI aboard too... I sense a theme here?

First trip to Gaston's I wouldn't have found it without the GPS. Coming from the north, it hides behind the ridge very well. Second trip, I went to BPK because it was dark (hmmm...) and so didn't have much trouble finding it coming from BPK on Saturday morning. ;) This year was the third, and having the lights from the cottages peeking from behind the trees made it very easy to find.

In fact, we were able to see the cottages before we had enough line-of-sight to hear Steve on the radio. The first thing we heard him say was "we're rolling the equipment." :rofl:

I can't speak to the later two arrivals, but we still had enough light to see everything just fine from the plane, except the power lines over the river. :hairraise: But, that set's pretty low.

Does kinda give a whole new meaning to "Things that go bump in the night". :D

I think Nick wanted to revive the thread...

1vmhbep.jpg

In the past 8 years, the proliferation of LED landing lights has made braille arrivals easy.

Link is broken, but Ed is still around. Would be cool to see this one if you still have the file.

Back