Gaston's 2009...who's doing what thread

Any communications on Unicom frequency are strictly advisory in nature. The PIC is still the PIC.

Using phraseology that may imply otherwise could cause unnecessary confusion, particularly for those pilots in the area unfamiliar with the fly-in activity. Those that are familiar are confused enough. Considering the broad spectrum of radio literacy involved, the use the term "Approach" on a unicom frequency would be inappropriate, imho, especially since an airborne transmission may cover several states .

Just my 2¢

A dedicated T1 at 1.5 megabits probably isn't going to be much better than their 1.5 megabit connection ;) That said, it would be dedicated to us, which would help a lot.

I've never messed with deploying sat internet before. At what angle do you need to point it? Could we hit that angle from the flight line? (I think you want the southern sky..lots of crap in the way unless it is way high angle)

That's the idea. It might only by 1.5 Mb, but it won't be shared by hundreds....

I have used sat internet a few times with an INMARSAT phone. You just had to point it at the sky and it would give you a signal strength, allowing you to find the best position. However, I think it cost something like $4/minute ;)

-Felix
I was thinking HughesNet like Harley has. It says they require professional installation so we'd be over our skis playing with a field setup. The motel I stay at in Mountain Home is fed by a dish and worked pretty well.

It does mean you need a view of the sky to the south. 192 Degrees Azimuth 48 degrees elevation for Little Rock.

Their "professional" installation is nothing more than a technician (I use the term loosely) with a crescent wrench and a signal strength meter, which is available via the satellite modem software.

Satellite internet service requires a minimum 15 month service contract. Plus equipment purchase. Plus crappy tech support. When its the only broadband game and you want broadband you have to make concessions. I dropped it the day DSL was connected at the house.

I had it for 5 years. After a couple of calls to tech support to realign the dish I started doing it myself using their online setup routine. The dish alignment is sensitive to ambient temperature changes and heavy winds (aka hurricane/thunderstorm squalls). It was a guarantee every first frost of the season to spend an hour or so to realign the aluminum mount in 3 axes. And I had mine anchored in concrete. Thermal expansion/contraction alone was enough to knock it off axis a couple of degrees and drop the connection. The uplink transmit connection is more sensitive to alignment as it requires proper "cross-polarization" in addition to angle and azimuth. The downlink receive only (as in tv service) is less affected. Not rocket science, but it does make the alignment a bit more tedious. I'm not sure a portable tripod supporting an 18" dish would be rigid enough for reliable commercial internet service.

Using HughesNet for the purposes of the fly-in is impractical on many levels.

I was thinking HughesNet like Harley has. It says they require professional installation so we'd be over our skis playing with a field setup. The motel I stay at in Mountain Home is fed by a dish and worked pretty well.

It does mean you need a view of the sky to the south. 192 Degrees Azimuth 48 degrees elevation for Little Rock.

...Using HughesNet for the purposes of the fly-in is impractical on many levels.

OK then. Plan B: We get a laser link setup, mount it on a 150 foot tower, and aim it at my room in Mountain Home. :D

(Wonder if my friends up on the bluff in Flippen have DSL... Think not.)

OK then. Plan B: We get a laser link setup, mount it on a 150 foot tower, and aim it at my room in Mountain Home. :D

(Wonder if my friends up on the bluff in Flippen have DSL... Think not.)
That's a good idea. Also, one of my friends used to be a mobile TV truck operator. He tells me that a Microwave setup may be the way to go here...

I'm thinking we should just fly our airplanes and forget all this technology stuff...:frown2:

But, I'm just going to sit back in my chair and watch you guys knock yourself out...in between giving bird dog rides...:smile:

I'm thinking we should just fly our airplanes and forget all this technology stuff...:frown2:

But, I'm just going to sit back in my chair and watch you guys knock yourself out...in between giving bird dog rides...:smile:

Well FLYING is one solution. As I sometimes explained to the "Never say it's impossible!" bosses, "We just hire the helicopter to hold up the cable..."

Yep, that's kinda how I see it too. :yes:

Yep, me too. :) In between giving and begging rides, I probably won't be at the flightline much anyway.

Other ideas abound. Anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to rig a usable Internet connection at the flightline?

What for? :dunno:

The only thing I can think of is checking weather... Other than that, it's beyond me why anyone would want to get on the Internet at Gaston's.

I'm as big of a geek as anyone (with the possible exception of Jesse and Mike) and I have zero desire to be on the Internet at Gaston's. We're there with people that we only get to see once a year or less in many cases, and there's airplanes everywhere, and... I'm a complete Internet addict but I don't miss it at all during Gaston's. :no:

I'm as big of a geek as anyone (with the possible exception of Jesse and Mike) and I have zero desire to be on the Internet at Gaston's.
I'm with you on that. If I'm on my computer at Gastons its because of something work-related that I must address. Gastons is for airplanes, not for messing with computers.

I'm with you on that. If I'm on my computer at Gastons its because of something work-related that I must address. Gastons is for airplanes, not for messing with computers.

I thought they kind of went together. :rofl::rofl:

I will have my computer with me. But it won't leave the cabin, and I guarantee my wife will have a fit if I am on it at inappropriate times.

Besides, most of the reason I am on the computer will be there live, so what's the point? :rofl::rofl:

Troy, were you going to check on fuel prices and fuel discounts again this year?

I think in another thread that I've been volunteered to bring the Margaritas again. :drink::D

We have dinner reservations for (June) Thur11th Fri12th Sat13th in section "A" (down steps to the left near windows) at 8pm each night and Sun14th 10am for brunch in same location, for approx 50 people in my name per LuAnne (call made 7:50pm 1 9 09).
I am to update time changes and numbers, as the event approaches.

Grant, I will bring backup "supplies" for your recipe...:cheerswine:

I will bring the Mazola for the party that follows the margaritas. Are the lampshades in the rooms removable, or do we need to bring our own?

I will bring the Mazola for the party that follows the margaritas. Are the lampshades in the rooms removable, or do we need to bring our own?

Wayne, no one drinks too much...and we are all on our very best behavior. I don't know what kind of people you are used to hanging out with, but we're just not like that. No sirreee!! :frown2:

We have dinner reservations for (June) Thur11th Fri12th Sat13th in section "A" (down steps to the left near windows) at 8pm each night and Sun14th 10am for brunch in same location, for approx 50 people in my name per LuAnne (call made 7:50pm 1 9 09).
I am to update time changes and numbers, as the event approaches.

Dave, thanks for taking care of the restaurant reservations. :)

Wayne, no one drinks too much...and we are all on our very best behavior. I don't know what kind of people you are used to hanging out with, but we're just not like that. No sirreee!! :frown2:

Have you looked at your avatar, Kim? :D:rofl:

In the annals of history, especially aviation history, when have the terms "margarita" and "moderation" been correctly used in the same sentence?

Does someone mistakenly think this event is anybody's first rodeo?

In the annals of history, especially aviation history, when have the terms "margarita" and "moderation" been correctly used in the same sentence?

Wayne, you're right. I know you're right...:yes:

I'll have you know that picture was taken at our first ever Friday night Hangar Happy Hour at Gardner Airport. I had just received my "bird dog wings" that day, one week after getting my PPL. It was a VERY good day for me. One of those days when all is right with the world.

I love those days. ;)

Don't forget about ... Southern Comfort!

I'll have you know that picture was taken at our first ever Friday night Hangar Happy Hour at Gardner Airport. I had just received my "bird dog wings" that day, one week after getting my PPL. It was a VERY good day for me. One of those days when all is right with the world.

I love those days. ;)

...and every day at Gaston's, is one of "those" days.

Don't forget about ... Southern Comfort!

...and every day at Gaston's, is one of "those" days.

Which to our chagrin are always followed by "those" mornings?

Which to our chagrin are always followed by "those" mornings?

I dunno, Wayne. There are some among our number who have seemingly mystical powers of recovery, who can party well into the night, yet awaken refreshed and ready, and blow the dew off of the grass with 300 TCM horsies-- at 0630!

No names... they know who they are!

I think in another thread that I've been volunteered to bring the Margaritas again. :drink::D
I'd like a just a little cup please. :yes:

And this has absolutely nothing to do with Margaritas, but you have to be careful walking around at night, especially if you take a shortcut to your cabin, because the wet grass is very, very slick and you could slip going down the hill in the wet grass and land on the rocks and sprain your wrist. :rolleyes:

I dunno, Wayne. There are some among our number who have seemingly mystical powers of recovery, who can party well into the night, yet awaken refreshed and ready, and blow the dew off of the grass with 300 TCM horsies-- at 0630!

No names... they know who they are!

The ceremonies committee appoint a subcommittee to provide video service for those wishing to document "bottle to throttle" time. A separate sub-committee will monitor the "no drinking within 300' of the airplane" group.

Hmmm I wonder if we could convince the restaurant to let us use their deep fryer for Deep Fried Cheese Curds....

im going to coordinate dinner reservations!

Actually--Spike and Dave already took care of dinner reservations. So now you're job is to supervise them.

wow, i keep getting more and more responsibilty. first all i have to do is look at the website and then tell gastons what time how many people will be there. but now I have to supervise Spike AND Dave. That oughtta keep me busy all weekend.

wow, i keep getting more and more responsibilty. first all i have to do is look at the website and then tell gastons what time how many people will be there. but now I have to supervise Spike AND Dave. That oughtta keep me busy all weekend.
Don't worry, since you're in a supervisory role now, you'll be paid twice what they're being paid, but we'll hold you accountable if they screw up!:rofl:

Back