Gaston's 2009...who's doing what thread

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Just thought I'd check with people about who is volunteering to do what. :)

I'll volunteer to be the liaison with the different forums (especially since this isn't just a PoA fly-in!!!!!) about posting information and updates and generally being helpful everywhere, and also with Gaston's (that does NOT include restaurant reservations or taking care of people who complain about the deposit policy). :D

Jesse is doing a great job with our Gaston's web site. :yes:

Steve, will you be our Grand Poobah again in 2009? :)

Only if I get a 17% pay raise...

Times are tough, you know.

I'll bring a case of wine. :cheerswine:

Not sure what other responsibilities people want to assign me, but I'm up for pretty much anything! :yes:

Movie night, on me. I'll try to bring something a little more... substantial... for the sound this time.

As always, I'll bring a shelter tent - the entertainment is watching us assemble it!

Other ideas abound. Anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to rig a usable Internet connection at the flightline?

My volunteer duties are easy. I'll show up and do what I'm told. I don't want to volunteer this year and have some stupid accident keep me from coming and screwing things up for anyone, so I'll do what's assigned.

I'd certainly hope that was a one-time event, Nick!

Either way, WX is more likely to prevent you from a successful trip if anything. Why not hitch a mailing tube to PA and come with me? :yes:

A GOOD wireless router in Cabin 8 or so?

...maybe with a patch antenna of some sort? Hmmm...

There's not much to be done. I think they have exactly one DSL link at the head end in the office, and in-house DSL feeding all of the the cabins. The closer the cabin is to the office the better it'll do, but that just means in regards to getting a faster hunk if the prolly 1.5MBs feeding the whole joint.

The only miracle we could have is a wireless cellular (not likely available out there in the woods) or a satellite link ($$$) of our own.

My volunteer duties are easy. I'll show up and do what I'm told. I don't want to volunteer this year and have some stupid accident keep me from coming and screwing things up for anyone, so I'll do what's assigned.

Nick is modeling the mankini.

I recall committing to arranging for a dinner reservation and will do so, assuming I come. And SC is the backup for that activity.

I mentioned I would love to see us have a unicom outdoor speaker system so we can all hear from the picnic tables, what is happening aloft - many times the handhelds on the tables were off, low, unavailable when I was requesting riders

(might also be cool to have music available after flying is done - someone bring the hardware and we can listen to my music!)

There's not much to be done. I think they have exactly one DSL link at the head end in the office, and in-house DSL feeding all of the the cabins. The closer the cabin is to the office the better it'll do, but that just means in regards to getting a faster hunk if the prolly 1.5MBs feeding the whole joint.

The only miracle we could have is a wireless cellular (not likely available out there in the woods) or a satellite link ($$$) of our own.
Let's just get a dedicated T1!

I agree with Mike. We're not going to be able to get "broadband" speeds there no matter what we do.

-Felix

Let's just get a dedicated T1!
A dedicated T1 at 1.5 megabits probably isn't going to be much better than their 1.5 megabit connection ;) That said, it would be dedicated to us, which would help a lot.

I've never messed with deploying sat internet before. At what angle do you need to point it? Could we hit that angle from the flight line? (I think you want the southern sky..lots of crap in the way unless it is way high angle)

A dedicated T1 at 1.5 megabits probably isn't going to be much better than their 1.5 megabit connection ;) That said, it would be dedicated to us, which would help a lot.
That's the idea. It might only by 1.5 Mb, but it won't be shared by hundreds....

I've never messed with deploying sat internet before. At what angle do you need to point it? Could we hit that angle from the flight line? (I think you want the southern sky..lots of crap in the way unless it is way high angle)
I have used sat internet a few times with an INMARSAT phone. You just had to point it at the sky and it would give you a signal strength, allowing you to find the best position. However, I think it cost something like $4/minute ;)

-Felix

What's the need for a megabit connection on the flightline? Strikes me as a bit narcissistic to want to stream video of a bunch of....well, what was it last time we tried this... posteriors walking past and standing in front of the web cam?

I haven't seen any waivers to allow unflattering images to be uplinked for the duration...right, Diana?

I will bring a copy of Field Manual 22-5 and volunteer to be in charge of drill and ceremonies. Reveille, roll call, formations, inspections, flag raising, close-order drill, barracks, etc. Anybody trumpet players coming?

I will bring a copy of Field Manual 22-5 and volunteer to be in charge of drill and ceremonies. Reveille, roll call, formations, inspections, flag raising, close-order drill, barracks, etc. Anybody trumpet players coming?

Man, you will have one helluva time doing all that.

All.
By.
Yourself.

:yikes:

What's the need for a megabit connection on the flightline? Strikes me as a bit narcissistic to want to stream video of a bunch of....well, what was it last time we tried this... posteriors walking past and standing in front of the web cam?
That makes me want to go hide from the flightline. :yes: I don't want to be on TV. :no: Gaston's is a nice place to enjoy nature and flying. But, people should do whatever makes them happy, as long as the rest of us who don't want to be on TV don't have to. :)

I haven't seen any waivers to allow unflattering images to be uplinked for the duration...right, Diana?
Right. :yes: That's a very insightful comment. :yes:

Wayne, you crack me up. :D I'd bring my spoons, but nobody ever asks me to play them for some reason. :dunno:

I am not particularly jazzed about having cameras trained on the people at the flightline- unless someone is constantly monitoring,aiming and directing, it'll be just what you describe- pictures of many backs and backsides, and the potential for embarrassing moments.

It might, however, be kind of cool to have a camera elevated a bit, sighted down the runway, with the CTAF frequency patched in. I expect that would not be too tough to do, and it would be a good way for those absent to be able to get a taste of what's going on without interfering with everyone there.

Just an idea.

I agree with Spike. We don't need or want cameras. It was rather awkward when we last had them.

I'm not so sure about broadcasting the CTAF, either. We don't exactly use it in accordance with the AIM....

Felix

I'm not so sure about broadcasting the CTAF, either. We don't exactly use it in accordance with the AIM....

Yeah, using CTAF for calling a picnic table is probably not listed in the AIM as recommended procedure... :smilewinkgrin:

Wayne, you crack me up. :D I'd bring my spoons, but nobody ever asks me to play them for some reason. :dunno:

I will need volunteers to help assemble the bleachers and podium at the parade grounds. How many folding chairs will we need for assembled dignitaries?

Our dignitaries come unassembled!

I will need volunteers to help assemble the bleachers and podium at the parade grounds. How many folding chairs will we need for assembled dignitaries?

Felix

No we don't. We modify it for the needs of the situation in the interests of safety. Not to say some inappropriate broadcasts don't get made. :D

Our dignitaries come unassembled!

Crap! You beat me to it

No we don't. We modify it for the needs of the situation in the interests of safety. Not to say some inappropriate broadcasts don't get made. :D

Nope, but it works pretty darned well, thanks in no small measure to the sound guidance of "Air Boss" See.

Nope, but it works pretty darned well, thanks in no small measure to the sound guidance of "Air Boss" See.
Steve really is an amazing man...

steve_jesse.jpg

Steve: "Watch out, there's a Bonanza, opposite direction on the downwind."
Me: "Any doctors in the area, please advise."
Dr. Bill: "Yeah, whaddaya want?"

:rofl:

Dr. Bruce was with Lance in the Mooney on short final too... So, I'm pretty sure every doctor present heard it! :redface:

Definitely! Gaston's would be a lot scarier without the watchful eyes of Steve. :yes:

I still haven't heard him to respond to the calls to "Gaston's Approach". :dunno:

ill be happy to provide CFI services to anyone who requests them, as usual. and whatever else needs to be done.

Definitely! Gaston's would be a lot scarier without the watchful eyes of Steve. :yes:

I still haven't heard him to respond to the calls to "Gaston's Approach". :dunno:

So is this similar to the Gaston's experience???

Back