Gasket/seal/washer orientation references

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Has anyone seen a reference for standard application of these?

I don’t mean your opinion, although I value that too, nor “I was taught” or “I heard” - I’m looking for FAA or manufacturer written instructions on which way the are applied:

-fibre gasket between an appliance and engine case
-spark plug copper gaskets
-exhaust gaskets - eg Spirotallic or Flexitallic (CMI)
-I did find one for split copper crush gaskets (open side to non rotating component)

It ‘feels right’ to put the flat surface against the largest or non-moving part (ie the exhaust gasket flat against the cylinder) but I’m not sure that’s valid.
Likewise, I can’t make myself put the curved surface of a metal washer against a part, it must go next to the nut or bolt head, in my mind.
An A+P friend told me he puts the gasket serial number out, at all times (but the SN on ex gaskets is on the flat surface which might be contradictory.

Has anyone seen a reference for standard application of these?
Normally, if there is specific orientation of a part it will be noted in the items installation instruction or marked on the part. For example, on certain Lycoming exhaust gaskets the correct position is indicated:
https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/Exhaust Flange Gaskets.pdf

Or, on spark plug gaskets there is no specific position noted, except to replace gasket after each use and not to use two gaskets:
http://www.championaerospace.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/AV6-R-Aug20141.pdf

As for the "curved surface of a washer" if you're talking about standard washers where one edge is smoother than the other, I've seen no particular orientation noted. However, there are some aviation washers that are designed with a bevel on one edge to reduce stress against the "bearing" side--but the required placement is usually indicated in the install docs.

Last edited:
Agree with the above but on the curved vs flat (and sometimes rough) surface of a washer, a Sikorsky engineer said they specified that the curved/smooth surface go against the non-moving part to avoid damage. For example, steel washers against aluminum - you want the smooth surface against the aluminum; not the nut or bolt.

Gaskets? Doesn't matter, IMO. Same for copper washers but I still follow the Sikorsky engineer's advice here, even though the copper will likely do no harm.

I agree with Bell206. Regular AN washers don't really have a side other than as a manufacturing byproduct. The Navion indeed has some that are intentionally beveled and you put the narrower side against the structural part (rather than the bolt head/nut side).

Back