Gas station?

BuschPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BuschPilot
I don't know if this the right area to post this question, and sorry if it has been posted before. I was watching a video of someone flying across Utah and landed at a regular public Gas station off the highway to fill his Rotax powered Plane. I was wondering what the FAA has any regulations about doing/not doing that? (i couldn't find any clear answers online about the subject). Im sure he wouldn't post it if he was going to get in trouble. Just made me wonder.....

The looks from the others filling their cars was priceless.

Drew

Look on the Back Country Pilot website for a discussion about this. Most jurisdictions apparently would rather you land on a paved road than their precious desert/swampland/State Park, etc.

I dunno, but is that a CH2000 in your avatar pic?

There’s been one rotting on the ramp here for about 5 years and I’ve wondered how they fly.

yeah it is a CH2T, the gutless wonder. It was allot of fun to fly, though very slow like most trainers, but extremely forgiving. its a great trainer. I have a lot of hrs built up in it. if you are looking for a plane to putt around in, it is great little plane for that.

The school i went to had like 6-8 of them, they have all been sold many yrs ago. I occasionally will find some online for sale that i have flown, brings back memory's of the good old days.

I would bet that it’s Roy’s Gas station on Route 66.

Iconic place, runway is only a few yards from the pumps.
Check google maps.

The FARs do not specifically address where you may take off or land from. The only thing the FAA has is 14 CFR 91.13, Careless or Reckless Operation, which is in the eyes of the beholder. I would guess not many local jurisdictions have ordinances specific to it either, but that doesn't stop Sheriff Peabody from making a bigger deal out of it. Case in point, last month when a teacher landed his Zenith(?) on the occupied highway in front of his school to bring it to show and tell. Never did hear how he made out, but I know it ruffled a few feathers.

I don't know if this the right area to post this question, and sorry if it has been posted before. I was watching a video of someone flying across Utah and landed at a regular public Gas station off the highway to fill his Rotax powered Plane. I was wondering what the FAA has any regulations about doing/not doing that? (i couldn't find any clear answers online about the subject). Im sure he wouldn't post it if he was going to get in trouble. Just made me wonder.....

The looks from the others filling their cars was priceless.

Drew
This one?

You wont find anything in the FAR's. The FAA's jurisdiction pretty much ends at the surface unless you are at an airport and even at an "airport," there are some questions about just how far the FAA's jurisdiction extends with airports ranging everything from public-use FAA grant recipient airports to uncharted private property fields (where the rights of the property owner generally take precedence) to military fields (where they have none).

The issue of landing on any piece of property ultimately comes down to the rights of the property owner. In the case of most public access roads, this would normally be the state. For the seaplane pilot, this is also normally the case of most "unowned" waterways in a state

Some states (Montana, Alaska) specifically permit the use of roads for the purpose of takeoff/landing by way of public statue.
Most states dont specifically codify it which of course raises questions in cases such as that guy in TN who recently landed on a public road for a career fair.
Some states (New Jersey) specifically restrict the use of waterways for seaplane takeoff/landing operations except at a designated seaplane base. In the case of NJ, you could technically land in international water and/or a neighboring state and taxi into NJ waters but you cant land or takeoff in NJ waters except at a seaplane base.
Other states have special restrictions for certain waterways, particularly those used for public drinking water or those with known presence (or absence) of certain invasive nuisance species such as zebra mollusks.

The real issue you can run into with the FAA is a 91.13 violation; even though the FAA has limited jurisdiction over planes on the ground and would probably be hard pressed to throw this at you just because you landed on a road, the moment you takeoff or just before touchdown you are still in the air and therefore fully under the FAA's jurisdiction... They will undoubtedly try to argue that you operated/flew in a careless or reckless manner should you chose to land on a road with traffic. It'd be much more difficult to prove if you land on an empty road. In the Trent video, they actually appear to be landing off the road in an empty field/space near the gas station.

The issue you can run into with a state is far more varied but is also limited since its not explicitly defined. Once the plane is on the ground (or water) though you could in theory become subject to the jurisdiction of the owning/administering authority which technically means, you need to abide by the all rules of the road on the highway and that includes speed limits, minimum speeds, lane blocking, etc.

EDIT: Fixed typo of 91.113 vs 91.13. Inconveniently 91.113 happens to cover a topic that would seem like it might apply but does not (right of way rules).

Last edited:
IMO

FAA is a 91.113 basically means do it at your own risk, If nothing bad a happens and you don't attract the attention of local authorities then you are likely fine.

If you cause damage or attract the attention of the wrong people then 91.13 could come into play, unless you can convince the FAA you made all reasonable precautions, like Prior arrangements, complied with local regulations, Surveyed the landing area, and/or possibly ground personal to assure the surface is clear and safe while you are landing or departing.

Brian

Edit Corrected Typo had 91.113 instead of 91.13

Last edited:
The real issue you can run into with the FAA is a 91.113 violation...

IMO

FAA is a 91.113 basically means do it at your own risk, If nothing bad a happens and you don't attract the attention of local authorities then you are likely fine.

Not sure why 91.113 is being thrown around as what the FAA may hit you with. The right of way rules don't really apply to street traffic. You would more likely be faced with a violation of 91.13, which concerns careless and reckless operation.

Kind of like this!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1xPVjtZ1wv4EBdKK9

This is at Lucas, KS. There is a small public strip just get behind. Taxi up the short ramp by the K-18, cross the restaurant parking lot and you are at the station!

This is one of the locals in a Rotax-powered RANS Coyote II.

A combine drove in and refueled shortly afterward!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back