Garmin updates for TXi flight displays, GTN navigators, GFC autopilots, & the G5

I'm already a couple GTN software versions behind.

What I recently learned is that trying to incorporate non-Garmin into a Garmin is a made more difficult bun Garmin. So while we are now hoping that TruTrak will be ready at Osh, I wonder if it will fit and be functional or if we are back to waiting on the GFC500. We removed our vacuum system thinking we would have an AP installed flying approaches for us. Instead we sit/fly disappointed that Garmin skipped the R182, though they now at least have it on the “next 12 months” list.

Last edited:
What’s interesting is they did 172s first, my avionics shop was baffled, they said pricey 172 avionics upgrades don’t sell, they had no customers but had many Mooney, Piper, etc owners asking about G5/GFC500.

qwerty keyboard for the 650, should be interesting.

There’s your VNAV @flyingcheeshead ... looks like they did it right too with the ability to punch in controller issued altitudes on the way down.

I'm already a couple GTN software versions behind.

Same here. Going to have to get this one. Our AHRS has never come over to the iPad because we barely missed that update at install, but getting that fixed was never a high priority.

The VNAV and other goodies in this release look like it’s worthy of a visit to the avionics shop to catch up.

Same here. Going to have to get this one. Our AHRS has never come over to the iPad because we barely missed that update at install, but getting that fixed was never a high priority.

The VNAV and other goodies in this release look like it’s worthy of a visit to the avionics shop to catch up.

I've been dragging my feet because..well…I'll be more motivated to update when a G5 HSI is laying on my desk for the Cardinal.

The 182 I think is still current, until these updates are approved and released. The GFC500 is working fine, Dad being dad needs to fly a lot more to memorize the UI. Pretty neat the GTN has the "advisory" glide paths to any runway (even if it doesn't have a published approach) and the GFC500 flies them just like a published approach. Try that with a GNC/GNS

AFD and MOS coming to Garmin Pilot for iOS devices as well

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/a...isplay-document-viewer-enhancements-and-more/
Additional enhancements expected to be available for Apple mobile devices:

• The flight profile view within the app displays Pilot Reports (PIREPs) alongside airspace, terrain, obstacles, TFR’s and weather.
  • Pilots can view the Area Forecast Discussion (AFD) within Garmin Pilot, which is a plain-English narrative developed by meteorologists at the National Weather Service.
  • Model Output Statistics (MOS) are accessible within the app, which displays a forecast similar in format to the Terminal Aerodrome Forecast (TAF). The MOS is updated hourly and the forecast extends 72 hours into the future.
  • Within the U.S. and Europe, pilots can view base reflectivity radar, which utilizes the lowest elevation scan to display precipitation falling from the clouds better than other radar scans.
  • Transitioning across multiple Apple mobile devices or adding a new device to an existing account is easier as user preferences such as weight and balance, charts, settings, downloads and more are saved to the flyGarmin website.
  • The new D2 Delta PX aviator watch connects wirelessly to the app to display wrist-based Pulse Oximeter and heart rate data in the navigation bar and within the Connext Garmin Pilot also supports wireless flight plan transfer to the new D2 Delta aviator watch.
  • Pilots can create a custom map shape file on a computer to design a customized map so it’s easier to reference their position relative to a specific geographic area, such as a practice area. This map file is transferred from a computer via email and then uploaded within the app.

AFD and MOS coming to Garmin Pilot for iOS devices as well

They pretty much “had” to do that one with the loss of the Area Forecast. If they didn’t, they’d be flame broiled for it.

Really they should have had it done before those went away, but there’s so many weather sources they got away with not having a way to see big picture weather for a little while there.

Still a little annoyed at NWS canceling those. Yes, they were often wrong, but they were words from a pro forecaster to at least hint at things to look at.

Just having the raw data from MOS and making non-pro forecasters guess at what they should look at is a step backward in wide area weather forecasting for aviation, in my not so humble opinion.

I’d rather the old often wrong area forecast with hints on big picture things going on to dig into than just some automated spew from a computer model.

But whatever. It’s water well under the bridge.

Argh. Not area forecast, hmmm... “the other one we lost”. Can’t think of the damn thing right now. Ha.

Awesome! This fits nicely into the plan we made last year - Specifically, using a G5 as a backup to a G500 TXi and having a GFC 500 tied into it all. I see that they're specifically showing the M20R on the to-do list for the GFC 500 as well. Finally, adding the VNAV to the GTN is the icing on the cake.

Now, we begin the waiting game for the M20R GFC500 approval to happen. I'm surprised that we got bumped to the next 12 months again, since Garmin has an M20R in their fleet. :(

Some very good stuff here, especially G5 approved as stand-by!
This one has me really excited!!! I have a g500 and would love to ditch the King 155 HSI (have it as a standby), as well as all my old vacuum instruments with a two screen G5 combo. Would make me basically 100% glass panel as well as take like 15# out of the plane.

This one has me really excited!!! I have a g500 and would love to ditch the King 155 HSI (have it as a standby), as well as all my old vacuum instruments with a two screen G5 combo. Would make me basically 100% glass panel as well as take like 15# out of the plane.

I hear ya! I have a G500 as well and am strongly considering installing the G5 as back-up and ditching everything else. BTW - with a G500 and a G5, you install a GFC500 AP and either unit will drive the AP in the event one of the devices fail. That's huge in my book. Now I need to get the CFO to allocate some funds from First Hip National Bank.

I hear ya! I have a G500 as well and am strongly considering installing the G5 as back-up and ditching everything else. BTW - with a G500 and a G5, you install a GFC500 AP and either unit will drive the AP in the event one of the devices fail. That's huge in my book. Now I need to get the CFO to allocate some funds from First Hip National Bank.
I have the analog to digital converter to run my king 150 autopilot. I wonder how this fits into the picture.

BTW - with a G500 and a G5, you install a GFC500 AP and either unit will drive the AP in the event one of the devices fail.

I do not believe that this is the case. When I spoke to someone about whether the G500 TXi would drive a GFC500 someday, I was told that the G5 and GFC500 communicate via CAN Bus and thus it could never happen since the G500 doesn't have CAN Bus. Now, we see it happening... But I think what's happening is that the TXi talks to the G5, which then controls the autopilot.

At Oshkosh, I asked about this particular setup based on the info linked above. They said that you have to set the airspeed, altitude, heading, etc. on the G5 to control the autopilot, and that it can't be done directly on the G500TXi. Kinda weird. :(

But I think what's happening is that the TXi talks to the G5, which then controls the autopilot.
. :(

How does the TXi talk to the G5 if it doesn’t have a CAN bus?
The TXi talks to the GPS, via Ethernet interface, which then talks to the G5 via RS232 (no Ethernet because it was done as a experimental), which then talks to its pieces (GAD, GFC...etc) via CAN bus. I assume GFC 600 uses the Ethernet interface and can be controlled from TXI.
A better option is to use G3X, which can control the GFC 500. But you’ll need to keep the AI, AS steam gauges to remain legal unless you can get FSDO approval.

Last edited:
IMG_5252.PNG IMG_5253.PNG
I do not believe that this is the case. When I spoke to someone about whether the G500 TXi would drive a GFC500 someday, I was told that the G5 and GFC500 communicate via CAN Bus and thus it could never happen since the G500 doesn't have CAN Bus. Now, we see it happening... But I think what's happening is that the TXi talks to the G5, which then controls the autopilot.

At Oshkosh, I asked about this particular setup based on the info linked above. They said that you have to set the airspeed, altitude, heading, etc. on the G5 to control the autopilot, and that it can't be done directly on the G500TXi. Kinda weird. :(

Speak with Garmin engineering. Steve there is very knowledgeable. They will draw it out for you. Also, a G500 is a different box than a G500TXi.

Directly from Engineering.

Fortunately, GFC 500 integration with G500 is pretty straight forward. Just install a GFC 500, then connect 3 A429 interfaces from the GAD 29B to the GDU 620 PFD of your existing G500 system to share data and keep everything synchronized.

New A429 interface formats were developed for both G500 and GFC 500 to make this integration as complete as possible. Flight director, autopilot mode display, selected altitude, selected heading, selected airspeed, and selected vertical speed are all synchronized between the two systems. Adjusting the baro setting on the G500 also sets the baro on the G5.

The TXi installation is a little different, and has a bit more redundancy, but the basic capabilities and integration are the same. Both are great systems.

Last edited:
View attachment 65716 View attachment 65715

Fortunately, GFC 500 integration with G500 is pretty straight forward. Just install a GFC 500, then connect 3 A429 interfaces from the GAD 29B to the GDU 620 PFD of your existing G500 system to share data and keep everything synchronized.

New A429 interface formats were developed for both G500 and GFC 500 to make this integration as complete as possible. Flight director, autopilot mode display, selected altitude, selected heading, selected airspeed, and selected vertical speed are all synchronized between the two systems. Adjusting the baro setting on the G500 also sets the baro on the G5.

The TXi installation is a little different, and has a bit more redundancy, but the basic capabilities and integration are the same. Both are great systems.

Interesting. So it looks like you still need a GAD29B in the system to get the G500 to speak to the CAN bus. That would kind of explain it.

I still don't understand why, with all of that, you can't get the altitude/airspeed/VS bugs on the TXi to control the GFC500.

Apparently, through a GAD 29B.

Not really an option in a certified airplane, unfortunately. It's an awfully nice system.

I didn’t think about the 29B.

If the G5 was certified for primary for altitude and airspeed then it could serve as primary pfd, the G3X could be used for situational awareness only.

I still don't understand why, with all of that, you can't get the altitude/airspeed/VS bugs on the TXi to control the GFC500.

I think you can. If the G500 can, the TXi has to do it. We should contact Steve @ Garmin Engineering and confirm.

Back