Garmin Update Costs

Flyhound

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flyhound
I have an older WAAS enabled Garmin 430 in my plane. I also have an Android tablet running FlightPro. They both require database updates for the moving map displays. Both are usually running in the cockpit and I've never seen a hint of discrepancy between the outputs regarding position, altitude or any other navigational information. I assume the raw data for their databases comes from the same FAA source in both cases. So, why does the Jepp Direct update for the Garmin cost $425/year for the continental US, while the updates for the tablet app only costs $72/year and includes Canada? Is Jepp Direct ripping me off, or am I just getting a phenomenal deal from my tablet App provider? What about update costs for navigational systems in LSA aircraft, do they fall somewhere in between the costs for a TSO'd system and a tablet? How about the systems for homebuilts? I'm considering my long range purchasing options as I segue into retirement and the bill for the Garmin data is looking hard to justify.

Older WAAS enabled 430...you are making my non-WAAS sound ancient.
Experimental 430 requires the same database as yours if flown IFR. Simple - stop flying IFR and you do not need the expensive database.

By the way, don't trade up to a GTN as you will not be happy with its database update cost.

If I have dual WAAS 430's is it one fee/yr or two?

If I have dual WAAS 430's is it one fee/yr or two?
Typically folks with 2 will rotate cards from one to the other to avoid 2 subscriptions.
The GTN series does not allow card rotation.
If / when the IFD series comes out, I hear one subscription will work for 2 GPS devices - at least the guys with pre-tso units state they do that.

I have an older WAAS enabled Garmin 430 in my plane. I also have an Android tablet running FlightPro. They both require database updates for the moving map displays. Both are usually running in the cockpit and I've never seen a hint of discrepancy between the outputs regarding position, altitude or any other navigational information. I assume the raw data for their databases comes from the same FAA source in both cases. So, why does the Jepp Direct update for the Garmin cost $425/year for the continental US, while the updates for the tablet app only costs $72/year and includes Canada? Is Jepp Direct ripping me off, or am I just getting a phenomenal deal from my tablet App provider? What about update costs for navigational systems in LSA aircraft, do they fall somewhere in between the costs for a TSO'd system and a tablet? How about the systems for homebuilts? I'm considering my long range purchasing options as I segue into retirement and the bill for the Garmin data is looking hard to justify.

Everything that has a Jepp logo is hard to justify when you retire, but Jepp has a monopoly on Garmin data.

But with that said, FltPro does not have the record keeping requirements or liabilty that Jepp does with its gps data product.

I priced Garmin and Jepp for updates to my GTN. Jepp was around $100 cheaper for just the nav updates. I am getting the whole US.

Typically folks with 2 will rotate cards from one to the other to avoid 2 subscriptions.
In my experience giving training to people with dual units, most people with dual units get the double subscription since rotating cards creates some crosstalk issues between the two units. Those who weren't getting the double subscription usually change to that after they find out how annoying those issues are when trying to fly IFR.

I priced Garmin and Jepp for updates to my GTN. Jepp was around $100 cheaper for just the nav updates. I am getting the whole US.

I didn't price Jepp with my GTN's I am using Garmin, but it ain't cheap! :eek:
They do tend to bundle most everything in one package, I think I am paying $937.00 for the G600 and 650/750 updates, including charts on the 750.

In my experience giving training to people with dual units, most people with dual units get the double subscription since rotating cards creates some crosstalk issues between the two units. Those who weren't getting the double subscription usually change to that after they find out how annoying those issues are when trying to fly IFR.

Can you explain this? How do the "crosstalk issues" manifest themselves?

Can you explain this? How do the "crosstalk issues" manifest themselves?
Refusal of one box to accept data from the other. Requires you to load your approaches/flight plan twice, and to make any changes twice. Big pain if you're single pilot in a busy terminal area and they start changing things on you.

I didn't price Jepp with my GTN's I am using Garmin, but it ain't cheap! :eek:
They do tend to bundle most everything in one package, I think I am paying $937.00 for the G600 and 650/750 updates, including charts on the 750.

Jepp offered bundles for my GTN as well, but I didnt check the pricing on that. I think all of the updates for my GTN (nav, terrain, obstacles, etc.) was around that for the year. I wonder if you get better pricing with more updatable units. I just wanted to get the nav database squared away so I didn't have to verify every way point before an IFR flight. I was really surprised to see that I could save money going through Jepp over Garmin. I guess Garmin assumes most people will defer to them and they take advantage of it.:dunno:

It's all a giant ripoff, the government (us taxpayers) supplies them both the data and they sell it back to us. :mad2:
I do have a Jepp subscription for my 530W in my 182, I could probably drop it as my son hasn't gotten his PPL yet, much less his IR. ;)

Jepp offered bundles for my GTN as well, but I didnt check the pricing on that. I think all of the updates for my GTN (nav, terrain, obstacles, etc.) was around that for the year. I wonder if you get better pricing with more updatable units. I just wanted to get the nav database squared away so I didn't have to verify every way point before an IFR flight. I was really surprised to see that I could save money going through Jepp over Garmin. I guess Garmin assumes most people will defer to them and they take advantage of it.:dunno:

Back