Garmin Pilot Update - WOW!

netsurfr

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jose
Garmin Pilot has rolled out some great new features in the last couple of months and especially yesterday. Really glad to see Garmin stepping up their game. Their recent Flight Profile feature is just awesome and their flight planning feature that alerts you during flight plan creating if destination is going to require an alternate due to wx is great for IFR. Yesterday they rolled out even cooler features. The Flight Profile view now works on the iPhone, they added runway crosswind & headwind that can be easily accessed in various areas (very intuitive to use), and also added Personal Minimum where a pilot can add ceiling, visibility, and wind/gust/crosswind minimum for IFR/VFR/DAY/NIGHT so the app will alert you when the TAF at your destination is below the mins. Very very cool stuff!

also added Personal Minimum where a pilot can add ceiling, visibility, and wind/gust/crosswind minimum for IFR/VFR/DAY/NIGHT so the app will alert you when the TAF at your destination is below the min
@CodeMonkey (tyson) and @hilton We want this from your apps!

They added those features to the Android version as well. I have both versions: Android on my tab and an IPhone.

Great stuff. Now all I want is for Garmin to add IFR approach chart on the map page and to be able to "load" all the approach waypoints to the flight plan when selecting the approach.

WingX has that ^, it's very helpful instead of having to manually program all the approaches.

They need to fix the trip function, it locks up if you don't have a fast internet connection, that's right they do the sync in the foreground instead of the background...and yes this happens at altitude when you pick up a cell signal.

Not exactly. GP profile view does a lot more than only terrain/altitude like FF and the minimums and IFR alternate features are also unique. The 2 things I still prefer in FF are the ifr approach charts on the moving map & the weather imagery & graphical brief. Plus a biggie for me is that GP has all the same functionality on both the phone & ipad. I fly w/ the iphone 6+ on the yoke and love having all the functions/feature on the phone w/o having to use the ipad. Not saying FF is bad/better/worse but those of us who use GP the latest releases are really bringing out some nice & in some cases, unique, features.

Sounds like a ForeFlight announcement circa 2015

Great stuff. Now all I want is for Garmin to add IFR approach chart on the map page and to be able to "load" all the approach waypoints to the flight plan when selecting the approach.

I just learned how to use this feature in WingX this week and it's really nice!

Glad to see Garmin is stepping up their game. I only wish they supported other GPS products other than their own. That's what made me jump ship and move to ForeFlight and WingX.

Stratux is supported on ForeFlight and WingX pretty much supports most everything (except garmin products I think). I don't like being forced to use products all from a single company. It has taken some time to get used to the ForeFlight and WingX interfaces though..I do like Garmin more for that.

Glad to see Garmin is stepping up their game. I only wish they supported other GPS products other than their own. That's what made me jump ship and move to ForeFlight and WingX.

Stratux is supported on ForeFlight and WingX pretty much supports most everything (except garmin products I think). I don't like being forced to use products all from a single company. It has taken some time to get used to the ForeFlight and WingX interfaces though..I do like Garmin more for that.

I will say that if I had a Garmin equipped plane, the ability to export the flight plan from iPad to stack would be worth getting Garmin pilot. Since the planes I fly are "old fashioned" it doesn't matter to me.

John

I will say that if I had a Garmin equipped plane, the ability to export the flight plan from iPad to stack would be worth getting Garmin pilot. Since the planes I fly are "old fashioned" it doesn't matter to me.

John

John, yep absolutely. If I still owned my 180 with the GTN 650 I'd be flying Garmin products all day. I made the change to ForeFlight after I sold the plane. Also sold my GDL 39 3D and built a Stratux for more compatibility with other apps.

ForeFlight now connected to Garmin data

September 17, 2015
Garmin opened its Bluetooth door to data for outside apps at EAA AirVenture 2015, and now the results are beginning to appear. ForeFlight Mobile has enabled two-way flight plan transfer between its app and Garmin GTN and GNS panel radios. There are additional benefits as well.

Jeppesen also was cleared by Garmin to receive data.

ForeFlight Mobile can now display subscription-free ADS-B weather and traffic information as well as GPS position on iPads and iPhones. ForeFlight's synthetic vision now has pitch and bank information that comes from Garmin's data path called Flight Stream 210...

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/...er/17/ForeFlight-now-connected-to-Garmin-data

ForeFlight now connected to Garmin data

September 17, 2015
Garmin opened its Bluetooth door to data for outside apps at EAA AirVenture 2015, and now the results are beginning to appear. ForeFlight Mobile has enabled two-way flight plan transfer between its app and Garmin GTN and GNS panel radios. There are additional benefits as well.

Jeppesen also was cleared by Garmin to receive data.

ForeFlight Mobile can now display subscription-free ADS-B weather and traffic information as well as GPS position on iPads and iPhones. ForeFlight's synthetic vision now has pitch and bank information that comes from Garmin's data path called Flight Stream 210...

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/...er/17/ForeFlight-now-connected-to-Garmin-data

Nice! I hope WingX follows suit, although, for me it's not an issue. Maybe if I win the Piper from Wings of Hope. Didn't that one have a G-430?

John

Back