Garmin Pilot unable to get terminal procedures

sarangan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew, CFI-I
I just installed Garmin Pilot on my Android tablet, and it is running under the 30-day trial period for the U.S Premium subscription.

However, I am unable to see any approach charts.

I went under "Downloads" -> "U.S. FlightCharts" and downloaded the data for my state. But it is says in red fonts that the charts are expired. If I say "Update All" it says "you are currently up to date". I deleted the charts, and downloaded them again, and it keeps saying the charts are expired. I tried downloading other states, and they are all expired. Expiry date is May 23 2018. I can't figure out what is exactly going on. Is this a bug? How could I possibly run into such a bug on my very first try of the software?

Being a holiday weekend, I can't contact Garmin either.

Might be a Android update issues, because Garmin email me yesterday and said they are testing a fix pilot. My Pilot on a Samsung Active S7 stopped transferring database files to the GTN650. I downloaded pilot onto an older phone running an older version of android and it worked.

I just installed Garmin Pilot on my Android tablet, and it is running under the 30-day trial period for the U.S Premium subscription.

However, I am unable to see any approach charts.

I went under "Downloads" -> "U.S. FlightCharts" and downloaded the data for my state. But it is says in red fonts that the charts are expired. If I say "Update All" it says "you are currently up to date". I deleted the charts, and downloaded them again, and it keeps saying the charts are expired. I tried downloading other states, and they are all expired. Expiry date is May 23 2018. I can't figure out what is exactly going on. Is this a bug? How could I possibly run into such a bug on my very first try of the software?

Being a holiday weekend, I can't contact Garmin either.
Go to settings->subscriptions and make sure you are logged in and it says your premium subscription is active. There is also information on that screen for getting support.

Go to settings->subscriptions and make sure you are logged in and it says your premium subscription is active. There is also information on that screen for getting support.

Subscription is active, and I am logged in. Support is Mon-Fri only. As the other posted suggested, this must an android version issue, because it works fine on my Motorola phone, but not on the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (which is brand new and fully up to date).

Interesting. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (using now) with no problems. I assume you have a uSD card and are using it for your charts.

Interesting. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (using now) with no problems. I assume you have a uSD card and are using it for your charts.

That's interesting. Mine is running Android version 7.1.1. Is yours the same?

Here is the Garmin email.

Hi,
This is Eric at Garmin and I just wanted to update you on your current issue regarding Garmin Pilot and the Database Concierge feature. We currently have a fix for this that we are testing. Our current timeline for this Garmin Pilot point release is about a week. Once pushed out you should be notified via the Google Play store.

Thanks for your patience on this nagging bug!

Eric

Mobile Application QA Testing Analyst

Here is the Garmin email.

Hi,
This is Eric at Garmin and I just wanted to update you on your current issue regarding Garmin Pilot and the Database Concierge feature. We currently have a fix for this that we are testing. Our current timeline for this Garmin Pilot point release is about a week. Once pushed out you should be notified via the Google Play store.

Thanks for your patience on this nagging bug!

Eric

Mobile Application QA Testing Analyst

I was able to resolve this issue by uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. I don't know why that solved the problem, but it works fine now.

I was able to resolve this issue by uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. I don't know why that solved the problem, but it works fine now.
Just imagine if this was an automobile versus software product.... having to uninstall the engine/transmission and reinstall....

This is an issue I have been having. Works on the phone, but not the tablet. I broke down and bought my first Apple product in more than a decade .

Several months ago I was having issues with Garmin Pilot not loading procedures that I knew were on the device (Tab S2). Twice I had to resort to reinstalling the ap to get it to work. A few weeks ago I had it happen to me again, but I happened to have a paper chart I had printed for that approach with me, in addition to having GP on my phone (S8), which still worked. The stability issues I've had with GP lately are starting to concern me, but I'm not sure if it may be because my kids have junked up the tablet with a bunch of game aps, when I used to have not much on it except some basic apps and GP.

I was thinking of picking up a Tab A - how does it do in bright sun, and is the graphics refresh in GP pretty fast? Playing with store models Best Buy, playing Google Maps, the graphics on the Tab A seemed a lot slower the the S3, and I think the S3 is pretty close to the S2 performance-wise. I know the Tab A has a lot less on-board memory, so that is likely a factor.

Several months ago I was having issues with Garmin Pilot not loading procedures that I knew were on the device (Tab S2). Twice I had to resort to reinstalling the ap to get it to work. A few weeks ago I had it happen to me again, but I happened to have a paper chart I had printed for that approach with me, in addition to having GP on my phone (S8), which still worked. The stability issues I've had with GP lately are starting to concern me, but I'm not sure if it may be because my kids have junked up the tablet with a bunch of game aps, when I used to have not much on it except some basic apps and GP.

I was thinking of picking up a Tab A - how does it do in bright sun, and is the graphics refresh in GP pretty fast? Playing with store models Best Buy, playing Google Maps, the graphics on the Tab A seemed a lot slower the the S3, and I think the S3 is pretty close to the S2 performance-wise. I know the Tab A has a lot less on-board memory, so that is likely a factor.

I run Garmin Pilot on a Tab A. Works fine. Get a 64 GByte uSD card and set Garmin Pilot to use it for charts. Memory ceases to be a concern.

Talking to Garmin support, their comment was that it was difficult to write software for the android because they have to test them on so many different devices. My thought was, why don't they just develop it for a couple of android platforms, and only recommend those devices? I would have been happy to buy a specific device had they recommended a preferred device.

Back