Garmin Pilot - Flightstream 510 - GTN synch

SSR

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
SSR
I have a GTN 750, 650 and G500txi. I use Garmin Pilot to download all databases, from approach plates to Nav data, terrain, etc. I bring my ipad to the plane, with the new files previously downloaded. When I start up the GTN750 (which has the flightstream card), I use the Ipad to connect to it via Wifi. Then the new databases will show on the 750, as available for download. This has previously worked fine, but two things have become problematic.

First, after I recently updated both my Garmin Pilot app and the ipad IOS system, the ipad will still connect to the 750 via Wifi, but now the new files will not show in the 750 for download. Anyone aware of a bug in these new versions? I brought the SD card home and downloaded the same files, from FlyGarmin.com, onto the card. When put back in the 750, database transfer worked fine, so the problem seems isolated to the ipad/garmin-pilot.

Second, once the files are on the 750, they automatically sync to the 650 and G500. Everything but the approach plates sync reasonably fast (just a few minutes). The plates themselves take nearly a full hour to move from the 750 to the G500. There must be a better way. Any suggestions?

This sounds like a problem I had after updating iOS recently, Pilot would connect to my GTN-650, but would not upload Databases. It had worked for nearly two years without a hitch before that. After wasting a few hours troubleshooting on my own, I couldn't find anything out of place so I called Garmin to report it. They told me about a new setting for Garmin Pilot in the iOS settings menu, rather than the settings in the app menu. Make sure "Allow Pilot to Access" has "Local Network" is set to on. Transfers worked for me after I changed it from off to on.

happened to me. do a forget this device on your ipad for the GTN, then reconnect the ipad to GTN and it will work.
dont know about the G500 part

Thanks. I figured there was a bug, as it just stopped working after my iOS upgrade. Painfully, nothing is easy. The screen shot in the linked above is not what I see. My page does not show the single line item "Local Network" in Settings > Foreflight. Everything around it is the same as show, so it's the right page.

I did go to Settings > Privacy > Local Network, then saw Garmin Pilot as an option with an On/Off button. I turned it on. Can't know if this was good enough, until I need a new file downloaded.

Anyone with any input on the extraordinary time (nearly one hour) it takes to sync the Flightcharts (approach plates) between the 750 and G500?

Last edited:
Back