Garmin pilot filing round robin

sarangan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew, CFI-I
I tried filing a round robin IFR flightplan on Garmin Pilot, and it would not let me. It kept saying destination cannot be the same as the departure. I even tried putting in a nearby fix as the "route". The only way to get around it was by filing from a fix as the departure point and the airport as the destination. Is this a bug, or a feature?

Dunno (Pilot is one of the few EFBs I don't have), but since the Garmin panel mounts allow round robins, sounds weird.

The GTN does not accept KMGY-KMGY (funny, the GNSes did). But it does acept, KMGY-DEDDE-KMGY. I would expect Pilot to do the same.

If it’s a filing problem, just put it in as an alternate. If you’re round robin you are probably going to another airport to do some low approaches anyway. If not just pick any airport as destination and when in the air just tell ATC what you want anyway.

Tom

If it’s a filing problem, just put it in as an alternate. If you’re round robin you are probably going to another airport to do some low approaches anyway. If not just pick any airport as destination and when in the air just tell ATC what you want anyway.

Tom
I've filed round robins. I dint think he's talking about that, just whether the Pilot EFB accepts it. Others do.

I've filed round robins. I dint think he's talking about that, just whether the Pilot EFB accepts it. Others do.

I used latest version of GP, I created both a flight plan and a trip with departure and destination the same. I thought it was when he tried to file it.

Tom

I used latest version of GP, I created both a flight plan and a trip with departure and destination the same. I thought it was when he tried to file it.

Tom
Sounds like you and Andrew are seeing different things.

Just filed KFAR-KGFK-KFAR and filed, went through just fine.

I tried filing a round robin IFR flightplan on Garmin Pilot, and it would not let me. It kept saying destination cannot be the same as the departure. I even tried putting in a nearby fix as the "route". The only way to get around it was by filing from a fix as the departure point and the airport as the destination. Is this a bug, or a feature?

I was filing KMGY to KMGY. I was not planning on going to another airport for the approaches. Just flying the local approaches.

However, I figured out what the issue was. When I first type in Departure: KMGY and Destination: KMGY, it raises an error flag under the destination that it cannot be a circular route (whatever that means). When I typed in a fix name under the route field, I was hoping it would clear the error, but the error remained active. This is what was preventing me from filing. However, if I got back to the destination field and re-enter KMGY, it clears the error, and I am able to file. Seems a bit silly that it would not check all the entries for consistency when you type something in. I am labeling this as a bug.

However, there doesn't appear to be a way to file KMGY-KMGY with a blank route.

I was filing KMGY to KMGY. I was not planning on going to another airport for the approaches. Just flying the local approaches.

However, I figured out what the issue was. When I first type in Departure: KMGY and Destination: KMGY, it raises an error flag under the destination that it cannot be a circular route (whatever that means). When I typed in a fix name under the route field, I was hoping it would clear the error, but the error remained active. This is what was preventing me from filing. However, if I got back to the destination field and re-enter KMGY, it clears the error, and I am able to file. Seems a bit silly that it would not check all the entries for consistency when you type something in. I am labeling this as a bug.

However, there doesn't appear to be a way to file KMGY-KMGY with a blank route.

Ok I tried it and while filing, got a return error saying direct round robin cannot be filed. Looks like it’s coming from the flight service or whoever Garmin files with, whatever their name is. But I didn’t get any error while creating the trip or filing, only after filing

Not a huge deal here. File the flight to the last point in the flight and when your done there, just direct-to the departure airport. FLP-select airport-Direct-to-ENT.

A round robin IFR flight plan will be rejected by ERAM (the ATC computer) if you don't specify at least one waypoint in the route. So KMGY KMGY will fail, but KMGY SOVVO KMGY will work with ERAM. So will this KMGY KMGY090002 KMGY, which is interpreted as KMGY to a point 2 NM east of KMGT to KMGY.

Back