Garmin Pilot - Approach Plate Briefing (date??)

Nathan Miller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan
So, my double eye was teaching me to brief approaches last week. He was talking me through how he does it (and how I should do it for the examiner ...and IRL, of course).

"Okay, we are briefing the RNAV-33 approach into RMN. The date on the margin of the chart is XX/XX/XX," and proceeded to go through the briefing strip.

I had to interject that I use Garmin Pilot (he was using Foreflight(?)) and GP doesn't have the dates listed in the margin. It's strangely cropped off. Am I missing something? Other than going into downloads and verifying my downloads are up-to-date (when they weren't - been fooled by that before), how do I verify the currency of an approach plate in Garmin Pilot? Is there a way to do it without flipping through menus? Is there a setting that will display the expiration date? I'd hate to have to divert to an airport, load the chart, brief it, realize that I "have to do a work around to accommodate GP", re-open the chart, etc. I'm sure I'm beating this deceased equine.

Thanks

06056e3483dd2f04b7ed9a1b3ed77e4f.jpg

Date shows up on my iPhone 8 plus & GP for the plate you mention.

The dates in the Vertical margins are what you need to verify if the Chart is current. The Amendment date at the bottom can be years old. Without verifying the Chart is current you don’t know if there was an Amendment during the last Chart cycle

The dates in the Vertical margins are what you need to verify if the Chart is current. The Amendment date at the bottom can be years old. Without verifying the Chart is current you don’t know if there was an Amendment during the last Chart cycle

Beat me by 5 seconds :\

You are assuming I actually read the entire original post. Sheesh!

Well, if your databases are up to date, you should be good.

I should specify that I run an iPad and Galaxy Phone and neither iOS or Android display the currency dates in the margin.

I stand corrected and confirm your observation.

I see the dates are there on the STAR/SIDs.

Unfortunately, I've checked and seen "Downloads are up to date" only to realize later that they were not and I had to manually re-download the items in question.

I haven’t seen that:
dbc8fa6c2210d694af47cea2f666273d.jpg

If you put it in a flight plan, it will check if you have all the charts:

02fa438c1672683c6a6e7882fa6cdfa4.jpg

Wow. "If you’re checking for valid dates of the plate by looking at the side of the plate, you’re being misled." Valid dates of the 'plate' is precisely what they are.
Yeah - I only get Seattle Avionics rationale if I stick my head up my ... uh... well, you know. It took some mental gymnastics to follow their twisted point. And at the end of it, I still feel their advice is misguided. Using charts from the current chart cycle is a legal (by regulation) requirement, no? So, without seeing from which chart cycle my particular approach plate is listed, I have no way of knowing if it's current. Their argument is "approach plates rarely change from cycle to cycle so you can (more or less) ignore the cycle date since that's meaningless." (As a slight paraphrase). ... so they (SA and seemingly GP, now) want us to take their word that the approach plate is from the current charting cycle? MooneyDriver said to ensure my downloads are up to date and I still have apprehensions about that as I have seen glitches in the download/currency status before.

Sorry for the rapid fire delays. Was in taking my written. Yaaaay 90%. I was hoping for higher, but my CFI from primary said anything above 70 is just bragging :rolleyes: (he got a 73 on his iirc)

Yeah - I only get Seattle Avionics rationale if I stick my head up my ... uh... well, you know. It took some mental gymnastics to follow their twisted point. And at the end of it, I still feel their advice is misguided. Using charts from the current chart cycle is a legal (by regulation) requirement, no? So, without seeing from which chart cycle my particular approach plate is listed, I have no way of knowing if it's current. Their argument is "approach plates rarely change from cycle to cycle so you can (more or less) ignore the cycle date since that's meaningless." (As a slight paraphrase). ... so they (SA and seemingly GP, now) want us to take their word that the approach plate is from the current charting cycle? MooneyDriver said to ensure my downloads are up to date and I still have apprehensions about that as I have seen glitches in the download/currency status before.

Yeah. At least he goes on to talk about the latest Revision Date and Amendment Date. But the only way to ensure you have the current, correct, info is the ‘issue dates.’ Their assurance the we, FlyQ, will never miss getting the Current Chart, trust us, we promise, ain’t cuttin’ it with me either.

$0, nada,nothing...completely free unless you upgrade to use Fltplan website.

I don’t think it’s as user friendly as GP, I use it as a backup.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the tip - As of tonight, I've got it downloaded, made an account, downloaded charts for all the places I fly. When I brief approaches on the ground before launching, I'll verify the fltplan go chart is from the current cycle and compare amendment dates (lower left corner) between the fltplan go chart and the GP chart. (I can see this getting old and lasting until just after I pass my checkride :eek:)

Other than switching to Foreflight, any other advice? I'm lazy :p Laziness breeds efficiency.... or so I'm told. I haven't looked into it ;)

Wow. "If you’re checking for valid dates of the plate by looking at the side of the plate, you’re being misled." Valid dates of the 'plate' is precisely what they are.

Until/Unless they are modified by a NOTAM. Then they are not valid until the NOTAM changes have been applied.

Back